Warranties

DDBB

Yamaha ebikes have a 3 year warranty and there will be a dealer for them an hour from where we live. Middle of the road components and no full suspension mtb yet but the bikes are beautiful IMO.. I'm hoping with Yamaha's size and reputation that if I buy two of their ebikes that warranty work, failed parts etc. would be taken care of quickly.. I still like Haibike too but I've been reading of people waiting MONTHS for simple parts ( 5 month wait for a new rear wheel, really?) I'm a little concerned that the entire industry is having an issue with parts availability/warranty repairs so Yamaha ebikes might not be any different; thoughts?

I still like Haibike too but I've been reading of people waiting MONTHS for simple parts ( 5 month wait for a new rear wheel, really?

I had a warranty issue and Haibike USA and the online dealer I purchased it from handled within a week.

Last edited:
My concern with any companies warranty is the fine print. These are from the Yamaha site. So during that 3 years you could be changing a few parts on your dime.
Both of the following items will result in them not repairing anything under warranty;
2. Lack of proper maintenance as described in the Owner’s Manual,
3. Use of lubricants that are not suitable for Power Assist Bicycle use
Specific Parts Excluded From Warranty. Parts replaced due to normal wear or routine maintenance such as tires, tubes, cables, grips, brake pads, baskets, pedals, fuses, spokes, lenses, light bulbs, springs, chains, packing, and the sprocket and tension assembly of the torque sensor.

I haven't read the owner's manual, so wondering if they refer you to the dealer for proper maintenance. If so, will doing the maintenance on your own void the warranty?

My opinion, size and reputation have nothing to do with parts availability for any brand. It depends wholly on the LBS and their district bike company representative guiding them on parts the dealer needs to carry. Only the rep will tell them about repair trends that he is seeing.

That is correct and 4 years on all components, I have done extensive searching and it's the best I have seen....

10-Day Trial. Some companies, won't mention the name, charge a hundred dollar fee just for cancelling your order if it has not even shipped, and charge return and sent shipping on returns not to mention up to a 25% restock fee....It can end up costing you about 500 bucks just to get it and return it without even riding, I have read all the warranty and especially the return policies on some of these companies are brutal!!

That is an excellent return policy for an online retailer!

My LBS has a 30 day return policy (for any reason), needless to say I didn’t use it:)

I do share the OP’s concern about parts availability, and speed of repairs. In the 1600+ miles I’ve ridden mine, I have had zero issues. I hope that continues.

Also keep in mind that a lot of bigger brands are providing a warranty on parts only. If a component breaks, your dealer will work with the manufacturer to obtain a replacement part. However, my local ebike shop is very clear up front about charging labor to swap out warranty parts.

You do bring up a good point about general parts availability. Both times I had a warranty claim, I was out of a bike for three weeks waiting for the dealer and the Bosch to sort it out. For me, my bike is the commute car replacement. This experience partially drove me to get a 2nd ebike.

I don't think the infrastructure is quite in place yet to support the booming ebike sales.. Hopefully things will start to change soon. I've had a giant dealer refuse to even order the bike I was interested in because the shop didn't want ebikes on "their" trails. That attitude needs to change as well!

The bicycle industry is not like the automotive industry. Do not expect that identical OEM parts will be available next year or the year after, from the manufacturer or anyone else. Bicycle warranties have never included the cost of labor; it covers the part only.

If parts aren't available next year for an ebike sold this year, that's a problem. I'd hate to own a 4k, 55lb. normally aspirated bicycle /boat anchor

I think it will be very good to know what ebike brands provide haggle free warranty services. I know Pedego is one. I also know that Magnum works closely with local dealers to address warranty related issues.

Knowing which local bike dealers that can handle warranty services is also worthwhile to know.

If parts aren't available next year for an ebike sold this year, that's a problem. I'd hate to own a 4k, 55lb. normally aspirated bicycle /boat anchor

When I say parts are sometimes not available the next year or the year after, I am referring to the bicycle components, not the motor, battery, display, etc. I also mean identical parts, as opposed to similar.

I fully expect that most brands of e-bike components will not be a problem; they don't change much or often.

Felt warrants theirs and fitted bosch components for two years. One thing to add. They won't warrant a mail ordered bike of theirs and I've heard of this from a few other companies as well so people should do their homework before ordering on line.

Bicycle warranties have never included the cost of labor; it covers the part only.

Is this e-bike specific? I have never paid labor for warranty work on a mechanical bike. I’ve never been informed that the shop is eating the cost, either, and this is in the DC area where bike maintenance costs are high.

I can’t speak for any other shop, but the LBS (sells ebikes only) said I had a one year warranty, parts and labor. That and the 10 day return for any reason policy, plus $1700 out the door sold me.

Back