Warning to those thinking about buying an lectric bike 2.0

Gmeng

Region
USA
I bought a lectric bike step-through 2.0 three months ago and I noticed that the tire's sidewalls are paper thin. On one of the bikes, the back tire where the rim and tire come together is disintegrating. I have had the bike for less then 3 months and don't expect the tires to come apart.

Be forewarned - Lectric bike says the tires are not covered under the warranty. If you are thinking about buying a lectric bike step-through 2.0 I would advise you to look into purchasing another bike. The 2.0 doesn't seem as sturdy as the Gen 1 bike.

Attachments

• 20211128_131607.jpg
    20211128_131607.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 309
And you are making this assumption (not sturdy as gen 1) based on one tire showing sidewall wear! Wow, i believe I would like a little more scientific data than anecdotal evidence. That’s like saying I would not recommend a Honda, Toyota, or Ford vehicle based on tire wear. I don’t think Lectric manufactured the tires. I would maybe say the tires will not hold up or the tire manufacturer has a defective tire.

This is not a good attitude to bring to $1000 ebikes. Basically, with a bike like this, there are going to be things you feel are deficient. You Tube is full of mods. I don't really like the high gear, so I'll probably switch the freewheel to something with 11 teeth on the small cog.

You could think of this as an opportunity to really do the tire thing right. These are cheap tires. They are not going to last. Think of your upgrade options. You want a really thick sidewall? This might be a 10,000 mile tire, not a 500 mile tire, but there might be something I am missing.

I agree whole heartedly with bluetex, but would add I think you are running the tire pressure too low for your weight. Sure sign is that it's the back tire and not both. So maybe warn about operator error or lack of proper maintenance before shaming a manufacturer.

The 4" knobbies on the Lectric 1.0 probably were just as cheap/stiff as the tires on my Ecotric. People rode those at 5 PSI.

With the Lectric 2.0, I believe they went to lighter 3" tires. Probably cannot go that low.

My ebike came with CST tires and they sent me a new one when the rear tire suffered a separation. You might have CSTs edit: you have Chaoyang tires.

Last edited:
This is not a good attitude to bring to $1000 ebikes. Basically, with a bike like this, there are going to be things you feel are deficient. You Tube is full of mods. I don't really like the high gear, so I'll probably switch the freewheel to something with 11 teeth on the small cog.

You could think of this as an opportunity to really do the tire thing right. These are cheap tires. They are not going to last. Think of your upgrade options. You want a really thick sidewall? This might be a 10,000 mile tire, not a 500 mile tire, but there might be something I am missing.

Putting motorcycle tires on an eBike is not a great idea IMO. Regular fat bike tires are 2-3 pounds each while motorcycle tires are 9-10 pounds each...that will be a whole lot of tire resistance added to eat away battery range and power.

Just got delivery of two ST bikes in the past few weeks. Both are in remarkably-pristine condition. It took someone who really knows bikes to set these up so well. Oh, and all four tires look brand-new. Very much impressed with the quality of these great machines.

They are heavy, though. Much of that is the 1hp motor and the 500Wh battery. Can't get around that.

Last edited:
Back