Walmart ebike with four year protection plan

Normal wear and tear is not covered for normal wear and tear components: Brake pads, Chains, Cassettes, Tires, Cables, Grips, Saddles... Nor is it a maintenance plan, covering required advanced schedule maintenance for an electric bike. If you forgot to lube your shifter and is snaps in your hand - that is not covered.

Normal wear and tear is not covered for normal wear and tear components: Brake pads, Chains, Cassettes, Tires, Cables, Grips, Saddles... Nor is it a maintenance plan, covering required advanced schedule maintenance for an electric bike. If you forgot to lube your shifter and is snaps in your hand - that is not covered.
What about keeping your tranny lubed?
Does it cover an abused tranny?

Absolutely Not! Even if you keep your transmission clean, lubed and well taken care of, if you abuse your tranny that is not covered by the contractual stipulations. It also states that if it is ridden by two people at once that voids the warranty and is considered abusive use no matter how smoothly lubed.

Absolutely Not! Even if you keep your transmission clean, lubed and well taken care of, if you abuse your tranny that is not covered by the contractual stipulations. It also states that if it is ridden by two people at once that voids the warranty and is considered abusive use no matter how smoothly lubed.
Then it may make more sense to spend that $77 on tranny lube as a properly lubed tranny will never leave you with regrets no matter how hard riden, overheated or abused.

As a secondary/backup ebike I am considering an ebike from Walmart. The only reason I am considering this is due to their remarkable "protection plan" which costs $77 for FOUR years. It looks like even though it will be a cheapo junko, Walmart is guaranteeing to keep it working for FOUR years. I can get a basic ebike for $600-800. Anyone had this experience who could comment on it?

Plan covers:
  • Mechanical & Electrical Failures
  • Item Failures During Normal Use, or from Normal Wear & Tear
  • Other Common Malfunctions
Plan includes:
  • 24/7 Customer Support
  • Easy Online Claims
  • Fast Repairs or Replacements
Compensation for down time? I still wouldn´t depend on one to get to work.

their remarkable "protection plan"
It's hard to not be sarcastic here. But the only thing remarkable are the poor customers that somehow convince themselves, even in the face of far more experienced eBike owners, seemingly convinced a Walfart eBike is a good buy. Remarkable, indeed!

When you consider most parts that break on any bicycle are due to misuse or poor maintenance, no brand or store will warranty that unless they want to for good will or you're an important customer, spending a lot of money every year. So the only thing to really worry about is a catastrophic failure of the drive and battery. Not a small thing, I know. What percentage of new ebikes, of any price, have complete failure?

Well taken care of, I think the odds are in favor of it turning out well. 51 to 49%? 75/25? Gotta be at least 2 to 1 of it working out🤔

When you consider most parts that break on any bicycle are due to misuse or poor maintenance, no brand or store will warranty that unless they want to for good will or you're an important customer, spending a lot of money every year. So the only thing to really worry about is a catastrophic failure of the drive and battery. Not a small thing, I know. What percentage of new ebikes, of any price, have complete failure?

Well taken care of, I think the odds are in favor of it turning out well. 51 to 49%? 75/25? Gotta be at least 2 to 1 of it working out🤔
I've had 7 eBikes in 6 years (still own 5). 1 had a motor failure (failed hall sensor) at 1,600 miles. So I've had a 14% failure rate.

I've had 7 eBikes in 6 years (still own 5). 1 had a motor failure (failed hall sensor) at 1,600 miles. So I've had a 14% failure rate.
So consider the guy still owning a 4 year old bike that broke a month ago. 100% failure?

So consider the guy still owning a 4 year old bike that broke a month ago. 100% failure?
I guess it's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder😉 To me 4 years of riding would be a success. Manufactures would consider it successful if it lasted beyond the initial warranty. I wouldn't be happy with any catastrophic failure at anytime.

It's hard to not be sarcastic here. But the only thing remarkable are the poor customers that somehow convince themselves, even in the face of far more experienced eBike owners, seemingly convinced a Walfart eBike is a good buy. Remarkable, indeed!
People will believe what they want to believe, @tomjasz , and you are correct that sarcasm won't help.
I gave up on Wallmart decades ago when they quit carrying American and European made goods, but they may still be better than Amazon. Neither one misses me, I'm sure.

I also see on EBR people not taking the advice of the people who know. Not getting confirmation of their bias, they will then go ahead and buy junk despite our best efforts to help. It is burning money! One of these people recently in a small rural N.E. state made two purchases of junk internet only bikes in a row! That is expensive.
The wheel I built found a good home. I love these WTB 45's. It is going on a classic 1950's style touring geo bike along with a 95Nm motor. His bike will end up costing total, including the $150 pre-eclectic bike, far less than the guy in New England wasted. And his bike is getting all quality components with local support.

Attachments

• RaleighIDo6.JPG
    RaleighIDo6.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 133
  • RaleighIDo7.JPG
    RaleighIDo7.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 138
Back