There is currently a two week delay to get it shipped out but when it comes in I will post an update. I’m wondering if there may be a difference between the US and Canada in terms of accessories.
Stay tuned!
So still waiting for my bike to be shipped. But Amego Bikes has confirmed it will be shipped with an Intuvia display and walk assist. They even included a how to video for walk assist. I also messaged Gazelle, waiting to hear from them about colours as related to walk assist and displays.

So still waiting for my bike to be shipped. But Amego Bikes has confirmed it will be shipped with an Intuvia display and walk assist. They even included a how to video for walk assist. I also messaged Gazelle, waiting to hear from them about colours as related to walk assist and displays.
Hi @Baygulls5 ! What colour NL did you choose?

@Baygulls5 - Thank you! Looking forward to what Gazelle tells you. I bought mine in May this year. Per my receipt from my LBS it is a 2020 Gazelle NL 46cm Jeans Blue with Bosch Intuvia display and Performance Line Motor. I expected the walk-assist to work and was bummed it wouldn't, even after a firmware upgrade at my LBS with the help of Gazelle North America. I could've exchanged the bike for a hunter-green version with a Purion dispay AND working walk-assist. However I specifically liked the colour and big display I picked. Patiently waiting for your and @EdM's feedbacks on how his bikes are working. His wife has the same model as I.

Hi @catzilla. The owner of our LBS, who we bought out NLs from, is finally supposed to stop by our house tomorrow and do a download of the the software on my wife’s bike so that he can provide that info to Gazelle and/or Bosch. I will post the outcome on the Walk Assist on her Jeans Blue NL. (I am still waiting for the SmartphoneHub to arrive to our LBS to upgrade my Hunter Green NL that unexpectedly came with a Purion display and was Walk Assist enabled.)

Update: No still don't have my bike, still waiting for it to be shipped :( My bike shop says my bike will come with Intuvia and walk assist. Gazelle says that both Intuvia and Purion have walk assist in the colour that I ordered. I didn't ask about other colours. Hmmmm...

Update: No still don't have my bike, still waiting for it to be shipped :( My bike shop says my bike will come with Intuvia and walk assist. Gazelle says that both Intuvia and Purion have walk assist in the colour that I ordered. I didn't ask about other colours. Hmmmm...
Hi @Baygulls! Gazelle did confirm that. In fact NLs after 2018 should have walk-assist. Since the Gazelle initiated firmware update did not solve the problem, I may have to result in contacting Bosch. Just waiting for an update from @EdM before I decide what my next move should be. Meanwhile, I've been riding and enjoying. I can truly say that I am slowly getting back in shape! ;). Hope you get your bike soon! :)

Hi @Baygulls! Gazelle did confirm that. In fact NLs after 2018 should have walk-assist. Since the Gazelle initiated firmware update did not solve the problem, I may have to result in contacting Bosch. Just waiting for an update from @EdM before I decide what my next move should be. Meanwhile, I've been riding and enjoying. I can truly say that I am slowly getting back in shape! ;). Hope you get your bike soon! :)
Hi @catzilla. Quick update: Our LBS owner downloaded the software information from my wife’s bike this week and he was going to send it to some at Gazelle. He also wants to find out why the Walk Assist is not functional and feels that it should be working on both of the NLs we bought, not just one. I will let you know what he finds out.

Am I understanding you correctly that Gazelle confirmed that your NL should have Walk Assist enabled? I am beginning to wonder if our bikes came with pre 2018 motors. The manuals that came with our bikes have “11th Edition 2015” printed in them.

Hi @EdM ! I bought my bike May this year and the receipt confirms it to be a 2020 model. My LBS suspects that the motor installed may be a pre-2018 model. I do not think this is fair given that Gazelle sells them as 2020 bikes. my manual is exactly like yours. But your walk-assist on the hunter-green bike works, right? Just not the jeans colored one? Now I was given an 8-digit serial number when I purchased the bike which matches the frame number on the bike on a sticker on the opposite of the chainstay. I think it should've been engraved somewhere more permanently, especially since most of my former bikes are. There is another number which i am sure refers to the frame size and a manufacturing year (in this case 2017). I am now thinking of contacting Gazelle USA directly and give them all the numbers and see what they say. I suspect that this bike is not a true 2020 edition!! I'll see what else I dig up = will keep you all posted.

Hi @catzilla

I primarily used the information on Gazelle’s website and Court‘s EBR review of the Jeans Blue NL that had Walk Assist and an Intuvia display in making my purchasing decision.

The Walk Assist on my recently-purchased hunter-green NL works. However, my bike unexpectedly came with a Purion display instead of the expected Intuvia display. So, I was upset about that.

My wife’s recently-purchased Jeans Blue NL came with an Intuvia display as expected, but did not come with Walk Assist as expected. So I am upset about that.

Both NLs were purchased and delivered at the same time, so why would they come with different features?

I am still hoping that our LBS can help get these issues resolved by Gazelle.

I agree that that having the frame number on a sticker on the bike is not a good idea if the frame number is not etched in to the frame somewhere. The sticker can be easily removed and the sticker already seems to be lifting on up on my bike.

I initially thought that buying a Gazelle bike was a wise choice, given that they have been in business so long and that they have local dealers. It doesn’t seem that Gazelle is responding to the Walk Assist issue and I am beginning to think that I my opinion about Gazelle may have been incorrect, even more so if they are selling bikes with old motor models.

Please let me know what you find out and I will do likewise.

I'm in Canada, and my understanding was that Canada and the US were served by a common distributor. I could be wrong, though.

Anyway, I just purchased a red 2020 55cm Medeo T9 low-step. I test-rode a grey high-step Medeo back-to-back against a 2019 NL before deciding what to buy. We went on a fairly extended ride, covering a variety of surfaces, grades and conditions.

There were hydraulic rim brakes, internal hub gears and a Performance Line drive system on the NL. Hydraulic disks and an Acera Derailleur on both my Medeo and the demo model.

All three bikes appeared to have walk assist, with a Purion on the Medeos, and an Intuvia on the NL. However, I didn't test the feature, as it's not something that interests me.

In the interest of science, I just went out to the garage for a brief test session.

EDIT: My comments here on the walk assist are WRONG!!! See my post further down...

I wouldn't call it intuitive to use:
  • Press and hold the Walk button.
  • Walk + shows on the display, but nothing happens.
  • Press and hold the Plus button while simultaneously holding down the Walk button, and the bike moves forward after a brief delay.
  • I wasn't able to figure out how to toggle the feature on, for a one-button Walk function. I had to keep both buttons pressed at all times to make it work.
I'm left-handed, and found that it felt felt awkward, regardless of which side of the bike I was on. If I was in a situation where I really needed Walk Assist, I'm not sure that I could safely hold down both buttons while trying to balance a heavy load or keep my footing in rough going.

I guess I'm going to have to dig into the manual.

The new Medeo is a terrific bike, BTW. I didn't feel a big difference between the disc and rim brakes, but the new frame for 2020 has a wider spread between the top and down tubes. It definitely felt more rigid and stable than the NL when riding aggressively.

I'm also impressed with the range- I started with 98km showing in Eco mode on a full charge, and after 40km, it's still showing over 80km, suggesting that I could be getting at least 120km out of a charge. I'm 6' 2", impatient, and nearly 240lb, so I was expecting to get less than the advertised range, not more.

This was with a number of hills and bridges, as well as liberal use of the Sport and Tour modes at times, just for fun on hills and at traffic lights...

Last edited:
I am 21 business days/5 weeks on waiting for my NL to be shipped with no communication coming from the bike shop back east in Toronto. Starting to consider cancelling my order which means no NL for me. Very limited up here in Canada obviously because the model is being phased out. Another bike shop back east has one NL left in stock that is black and it comes with Intuvia. He also mentioned that the Hunter Green (but they don't have any) comes with Purion, similar to experiences stated above. He didn't mention the other colours and what they come with. I test rode the Arroyo Elite which I really liked. It came with Purion and walk assist. If my first choice doesn't work out I'll definately try out the Medeo. The left handedness thing is going to be an issue for me too:( *Update: Finally got ahold of someone and apparently shipping out in next couple of days! Stay tuned.

Last edited:
My dealer is on vacation, and won't be back until Thursday.

As a result I can't verify their stock situation, but they were taking delivery of a bunch of Gazelle's when I picked up my Medeo on Friday.

The demo NL I rode, was the medium frame size.

Ben is knowledgeable about the product, very easy to work with, and their team did a great job on assembly, prep and testing.

London Bicycle Cafe,
355 Clarence St, London, ON N6A 3M4
Canada

1-226-289-2670

[email protected]

https://www.londonbicyclecafe.com/bike-store?category=E-Bikes

I'm in Canada, and my understanding was that Canada and the US were served by a common distributor. I could be wrong, though.

Anyway, I just purchased a red 2020 55cm Medeo T9 low-step. I test-rode a grey high-step Medeo back-to-back against a 2019 NL before deciding what to buy. We went on a fairly extended ride, covering a variety of surfaces, grades and conditions.

There were hydraulic rim brakes, internal hub gears and a Performance Line drive system on the NL. Hydraulic disks and an Acera Derailleur on both my Medeo and the demo model.

All three bikes appeared to have walk assist, with a Purion on the Medeos, and an Intuvia on the NL. However, I didn't test the feature, as it's not something that interests me.

In the interest of science, I just went out to the garage for a brief test session.

I wouldn't call it intuitive to use:
  • Press and hold the Walk button.
  • Walk + shows on the display, but nothing happens.
  • Press and hold the Plus button while simultaneously holding down the Walk button, and the bike moves forward after a brief delay.
  • I wasn't able to figure out how to toggle the feature on, for a one-button Walk function. I had to keep both buttons pressed at all times to make it work.
I'm left-handed, and found that it felt felt awkward, regardless of which side of the bike I was on. If I was in a situation where I really needed Walk Assist, I'm not sure that I could safely hold down both buttons while trying to balance a heavy load or keep my footing in rough going.

I guess I'm going to have to dig into the manual.

The new Medeo is a terrific bike, BTW. I didn't feel a big difference between the disc and rim brakes, but the new frame for 2020 has a wider spread between the top and down tubes. It definitely felt more rigid and stable than the NL when riding aggressively.

I'm also impressed with the range- I started with 98km showing in Eco mode on a full charge, and after 40km, it's still showing over 80km, suggesting that I could be getting at least 120km out of a charge. I'm 6' 2", impatient, and nearly 240lb, so I was expecting to get less than the advertised range, not more.

This was with a number of hills and bridges, as well as liberal use of the Sport and Tour modes at times, just for fun on hills and at traffic lights...
Hi @steve_rolfeca ! I have tried numerous times to activate the walk assist on my NL, even with the help of the staff from my LBS and Gazelle USA over the phone. Just not working. Anyway I got 92km on my first charge in North Vancouver! And I do agree that the Medeo is a better for riding aggressively. However, I ended up picking the NL as I wanted a Transport/Utilitarian e-bike. it's definitely a heavier beast as well - notice it specially when I ride without any assist on flats!

I am 21 business days/5 weeks on waiting for my NL to be shipped with no communication coming from the bike shop back east in Toronto. Starting to consider cancelling my order which means no NL for me. Very limited up here in Canada obviously because the model is being phased out. Another bike shop back east has one NL left in stock that is black and it comes with Intuvia. He also mentioned that the Hunter Green (but they don't have any) comes with Purion, similar to experiences stated above. He didn't mention the other colours and what they come with. I test rode the Arroyo Elite which I really liked. It came with Purion and walk assist. If my first choice doesn't work out I'll definately try out the Medeo. The left handedness thing is going to be an issue for me too:( *Update: Finally got ahold of someone and apparently shipping out in next couple of days! Stay tuned.
Hi @Baygulls5 - where in BC are you? I got my NL from Reckless Shipyards in North Vancouver. They had three colours available, and last weekend the hunter-green version is still for sale. I do not know if they ship tho. But the Medeo or Arroyo are both good choices. If I could afford to own two e-bikes, I'd add the Arroyo :)

Hi @Baygulls5 - where in BC are you? I got my NL from Reckless Shipyards in North Vancouver. They had three colours available, and last weekend the hunter-green version is still for sale. I do not know if they ship tho. But the Medeo or Arroyo are both good choices. If I could afford to own two e-bikes, I'd add the Arroyo :)

I am on the island. Would have preferred to buy my NL from Citris Cycles in Ladysmith who are excellent. However the same bike was $1000 less from Amego in Toronto. I just couldn’t not save the $$$. Plus I had all the colour choices to choose from. Hopefully I made the right call.

Correction:

After watching a video on the Walk Assist feature, it turns out that I had it wrong:
  • Hitting the Walk Assist button enables the function, and pops a "Walk +" alert on the display.
  • The function is now enabled.
  • Press and hold the + button, and after a brief delay, the bike moves forward until you let go of the button.
You can get on and off the button momentarily without the feature timing out, which can be handy when manouvering the bike in close quarters.

However, the features times out fairly quickly if you hesitate during use. I assume that this is to prevent runaways if someone forgets that the assist is on, and accidentally hits the + button.

On an unrelated note, it looks like my battery wasn't topped up when I picked the bike up from my dealer. Gave it a full charge this afternoon, and after a brisk ride this evening, the display is reporting 120 km range.

I'm liking the Medeo more and more- it suits my exercise-oriented riding style better than the NL, yet with the low step frame and the stem set fairly high, it's still kind to my sciatica. The factory light package is excellent for night riding, and the sensibly-sized fenders keep me dry through puddles without catching on anything on or off road.

All I was looking for from this purchase, was to try and keep riding for another season or two before chronic leg and back pain finally ends my cycling hobby for good.

However, I've done 63 km since I picked the bike up 3 days ago, and my back and leg just keep feeling better and better the more I ride. I was bedridden for 8 months in 2018, and a steady diet of physio, hydrotherapy and chiropractic have failed to eliminate the remaining aches and pains.

If Dutch-style electric biking heals me where conventional medical care failed, I will consider this the purchase of a lifetime!

Last edited:
Correction:

After watching a video on the Walk Assist feature, it turns out that I had it wrong:
  • Hitting the Walk Assist button enables the function, and pops a "Walk +" alert on the display.
  • The function is now enabled.
  • Press and hold the + button, and after a brief delay, the bike moves forward until you let go of the button.
You can get on and off the button momentarily without the feature timing out, which can be handy when manouvering the bike in close quarters.

However, the features times out fairly quickly if you hesitate during use. I assume that this is to prevent runaways if someone forgets that the assist is on, and accidentally hits the + button.

On an unrelated note, it looks like my battery wasn't topped up when I picked the bike up from my dealer. Gave it a full charge this afternoon, and after a brisk ride this evening, the display is reporting 120 km range.

I'm liking the Medeo more and more- it suits my exercise-oriented riding style better than the NL, yet with the low step frame and the stem set fairly high, it's still kind to my sciatica. The factory light package is excellent for night riding, and the sensibly-sized fenders keep me dry through puddles without catching on anything on or off road.

All I was looking for from this purchase, was to try and keep riding for another season or two before chronic leg and back pain finally ends my cycling hobby for good.

However, I've done 63 km since I picked the bike up 3 days ago, and my back and leg just keep feeling better and better the more I ride. I was bedridden for 8 months in 2018, and a steady diet of physio, hydrotherapy and chiropractic have failed to eliminate the remaining aches and pains.

If Dutch-style electric biking heals me where conventional medical care failed, I will consider this the purchase of a lifetime!

Hello @steve_rolfeca !

I will try to activate the walk assist again this afternoon, I rode the bike to work today and every time I start pedaling I am transported back to being a kid on my first bike! As mentioned earlier, I haven't needed the walk-assist at all, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day!

Glad to hear that your Medeo is delivering all the solutions to a better and comfortable bike ride for you! That's the point of this significant purchase for most of us anyways! I hope you continue to enjoy it for a very long time!

Spend Time Behind Bars - You'll Enjoy It!
@catzilla

Today is finally the day! Just getting my handier than myself kids to set up my bike for my first ride. It has been hard to wait 7 weeks now but super happy to be back on the road having sold my old bike a couple of weeks ago. So important part technically speaking. I (now) have a 49 inch iced blue NL with the Intuvia display and a fully functioning walk assist, first thing I tried out. Both Gazelle and the bike shop I purchased it online from confirmed that it would have both the Intuvia and walk assist function which it does. Which makes me wonder if this is a difference between the Bosch system in Canada/US? US disabled the walk assist function? Could it possibly be a difference between sizes of bikes? I know on Canadian bike sites the bike only comes in three sizes but in Europe they have four. The bike shop I bought mine from was the only site in Canada that offered a choice of four sizes so perhaps they purchased theirs in bulk directly from Europe vs a North American supplier and perhaps the European models all have the walk assist enabled? Happy to have the walk assist for the area that I live in. Interested to hear what your thoughts are. Happy riding!

Today is finally the day! Just getting my handier than myself kids to set up my bike for my first ride. It has been hard to wait 7 weeks now but super happy to be back on the road having sold my old bike a couple of weeks ago. So important part technically speaking. I (now) have a 49 inch iced blue NL with the Intuvia display and a fully functioning walk assist, first thing I tried out. Both Gazelle and the bike shop I purchased it online from confirmed that it would have both the Intuvia and walk assist function which it does. Which makes me wonder if this is a difference between the Bosch system in Canada/US? US disabled the walk assist function? Could it possibly be a difference between sizes of bikes? I know on Canadian bike sites the bike only comes in three sizes but in Europe they have four. The bike shop I bought mine from was the only site in Canada that offered a choice of four sizes so perhaps they purchased theirs in bulk directly from Europe vs a North American supplier and perhaps the European models all have the walk assist enabled? Happy to have the walk assist for the area that I live in. Interested to hear what your thoughts are. Happy riding!

That is fantastic! Happy that your walk-assist is working! I am in Vancouver and @EdM is located in Florida, and the assists on the bikes we are questioning happen to be the NL Jeans-Blue.
I have not had the time to follow up with Gazelle USA directly or Bosch as I am enjoying the good weather and am taking the bike out a lot!

Back