2nd hand 2015 Gazelle Impulse - to buy or not to buy?

Tabitha

Region
United Kingdom
I thought I posted this question yesterday but I can't see it, so here goes again:

Hello!

I have test-ridden a Gazelle Impulse, bought in 2015. I liked it, as it was comfy for me. It has 7 speeds, 70Nm torque, but the mid-motor is not Bosch (I don't know what it is, as I failed to look), and the battery is a seat battery with a curve to it. I contacted the only person I could find still selling this type of battery, to ask if it would still be available to buy in a year or so's time, and they said they could not tell me as they didn't know. The seller is asking £925 for the bike (he says his lowest price is £800), and tells me he had the battery 'overhauled' at a cost of £140. He doesn't know what the overhauler did to the battery. I see these types of batteries might be able to be re-celled. Buying a new battery or re-celling one costs around the same: £333. I was wondering about offering £500 for the bike, based on the lack of support and possible end of production of the battery, but I wonder if even this is too much, if I end up not being able to replace the battery when the time comes. I thought I would come here and get your opinion on this?

Thank you.

He doesn't know what the overhauler did to the battery.
I expect a battery fire soon.

Tabitha, what you are offered is rubbish. I know you are limited financially but if you cannot afford a decent e-bike, do not think of e-bikes. It is my sincere advice. The cheapest new Gazelle e-bike (which is old style one, that is, already obsolete) is £1,949. The least expensive new style Gazelle e-bikes start from almost £3,000.

The seller is not giving you a very good story about the battery, so you have to assume nothing really good was was done for his £130. He really should know. If I were rebuilding the battery and bought quality cells, it would cost me around £150 just to buy them, Then I've got the labor to put them in. I would expect to pay £250 or more for the service.

So I agree with the lowball offer. Winter is coming. He's not going to get that kind of money.

Check in with the UK pedelec forum, if you haven't already done so. They're more in touch with the UK market. The seller may have already made a post about you. Just kidding.

Back