Just got a Gazelle NL (eclipse black w/ intuvia display) from Propel Bikes, and when I asked about the walk-assist they mentioned that this model didn't have the proper software installed. However right before I picked up the bike, they told me that after their normal software update was performed, the walk-assist seems to have been enabled automatically!

Just got a Gazelle NL (eclipse black w/ intuvia display) from Propel Bikes, and when I asked about the walk-assist they mentioned that this model didn't have the proper software installed. However right before I picked up the bike, they told me that after their normal software update was performed, the walk-assist seems to have been enabled automatically!

hello @kellytangent! Glad to hear that your walk-assist is enabled! Have you tried it? I haven’t had the time to follow up with GazellebikesUSA orBosch. The update was done by my LBS but it did not do the trick. Another member here @EdM has the same problem with the same model and coloured bike as mine.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy many years on your new ride!

My Hunter Green 59cm NL should hopefully be ready today for pickup from Propel! Going by what’s been said in this thread, I’m really hoping it comes with a Purion display (I’d like the cleaner cockpit look to start off with). I saw a video from another bike shop as well on YouTube (am I allowed to link to non-EBR reviews?) that showed a blue NL with Intuvia next to a green one with Purion, so here’s hoping.

My Hunter Green 59cm NL should hopefully be ready today for pickup from Propel! Going by what’s been said in this thread, I’m really hoping it comes with a Purion display (I’d like the cleaner cockpit look to start off with). I saw a video from another bike shop as well on YouTube (am I allowed to link to non-EBR reviews?) that showed a blue NL with Intuvia next to a green one with Purion, so here’s hoping.

Hi @Jks! My LBS here in Vancouver and two other shops carried (now out of stock) the hunter-green version of the NL and all of them came with the Purion Display. So I have the feeling yours will come with one, too! Nice to see a few more NL owners here. :)

There are a lot of members cross-posting from other sites, so i do not think there would be any issues.

Thanks @catzilla, Propel also confirmed today that it has the Purion display. Already ordered a second battery for longer rides.

Now I just have to decide whether to preorder a SmartHalo 2 or just stick to a phone mount for the rare occasions that I need navigation.

My wife’s Blue Jeans NL has been at our LBS since last week. Our LBS owner has been great. Supposedly Gazelle is working with Bosch on a solution to the missing Walk Assit mode. I will post the outcome.

I am still waiting on the SmartphoneHub to replace the Purion display that came unexpectedly on my Hunter Green NL. I like having nav and the ebike display directly in front for easy viewing.

Thanks @catzilla, Propel also confirmed today that it has the Purion display. Already ordered a second battery for longer rides.

Now I just have to decide whether to preorder a SmartHalo 2 or just stick to a phone mount for the rare occasions that I need navigation.

Hi @Jks ! Smart Halo is really nice! But if you wish to just stick to your trusty phone, many have suggested the QuadLock Case as a reliable mount. I'm just sticking to the Intuvia. Besides I like navigating with physical maps. :)

My wife’s Blue Jeans NL has been at our LBS since last week. Our LBS owner has been great. Supposedly Gazelle is working with Bosch on a solution to the missing Walk Assit mode. I will post the outcome.

I am still waiting on the SmartphoneHub to replace the Purion display that came unexpectedly on my Hunter Green NL. I like having nav and the ebike display directly in front for easy viewing.

Hello @EdM ! Nice to hear from you! It's taking some time these days for things one has ordered to arrive! I am now waiting eagerly for the results of your wife's bike! Then perhaps I can go back to my LBS and have them take a third look! I have been riding to and from work, so I haven't had much time to contact Gazelle or Bosch myself. Truth be known, I am now relying on your feedback and will go from there. So thank you in advance for the "legwork" here :)

Reactions: EdM
Just picked up my NL, and had an absolute blast cruising through the park on the way back. The part from Propel to the park is normally the most stressful part of my commute (uphill, rough pavement in places, lots of obstructions in the bike lane), but not having to put in as much power, and the bolt upright seating position made the whole thing somehow relaxing? I love this bike already.

I had a quad lock a while back, then when I got a new phone I just gave it to a coworker. I’ll probably buy that again. The reason I was interested in the SmartHalo was mostly the alarm. I may get one of the Abus Bordo locks with the built in alarm instead. I don’t know yet.

(oh, and to stay closer to the original topic, even though this has basically become the NL owners thread lol: Purion display, with walk assist enabled)

I went with the pinhead system for securing the frame, wheels and seat and seat post. It wasn't cheap but give me a feeling of being more secure.

Just picked up my NL, and had an absolute blast cruising through the park on the way back. The part from Propel to the park is normally the most stressful part of my commute (uphill, rough pavement in places, lots of obstructions in the bike lane), but not having to put in as much power, and the bolt upright seating position made the whole thing somehow relaxing? I love this bike already.

I had a quad lock a while back, then when I got a new phone I just gave it to a coworker. I’ll probably buy that again. The reason I was interested in the SmartHalo was mostly the alarm. I may get one of the Abus Bordo locks with the built in alarm instead. I don’t know yet.

(oh, and to stay closer to the original topic, even though this has basically become the NL owners thread lol: Purion display, with walk assist enabled)

Yeah, we should re-name the thread to "NL Owners' Corner" @Jks :) Great to know you got what you wanted and you're having fun with the bike already!

Reactions: Jks
I went with the pinhead system for securing the frame, wheels and seat and seat post. It wasn't cheap but give me a feeling of being more secure.

@Hamonstage HI! I have a complicated locking system myself - just in case: existing cafe lock plus an ABUS Adopter Chain that plugs into the cafe lock for the rear; and an AXA Newton Mini Pro + Cable 100/10 for the front. I've scratched the paint off of my front fender in the process of locking the bike! I fear that the enders will be one of the first things that may need to be replaced down the road. The white paint on them is matte and flakes off really easily. I have a few dings and scratches already from taking the bike through gravel paths and I've had the bike only since late May.

@Hamonstage I have the pinhead locks on my old bike (ended up taking off the back one because it was such a hassle to take the wheel off anyway that no one would try). If I find the key, I’ll move them to the NL. Worst case scenario I have a photo of the key number.

@catzilla thanks! I already have an Axa plug-in chain, I installed an Axa Defender on my old bike last year because it feels so much more dignified than struggling with a u-lock. Didn’t realize Abus chains also worked with the Axa locks, I might order a heavier one of those.

What’s everyone doing with their front carrier? I’m tempted to take the large carrier part off and zip tie or bolt a basket to the smaller carrier that the light is attached to. Though two wheel gear has an interesting bag I could attach to the carrier as well: https://www.twowheelgear.com/products/dayliner-box-bag

@Hamonstage I have the pinhead locks on my old bike (ended up taking off the back one because it was such a hassle to take the wheel off anyway that no one would try). If I find the key, I’ll move them to the NL. Worst case scenario I have a photo of the key number.

@catzilla thanks! I already have an Axa plug-in chain, I installed an Axa Defender on my old bike last year because it feels so much more dignified than struggling with a u-lock. Didn’t realize Abus chains also worked with the Axa locks, I might order a heavier one of those.

What’s everyone doing with their front carrier? I’m tempted to take the large carrier part off and zip tie or bolt a basket to the smaller carrier that the light is attached to. Though two wheel gear has an interesting bag I could attach to the carrier as well: https://www.twowheelgear.com/products/dayliner-box-bag

@Jks That looks very nice and versatile! My husband ordered me a small pannier from England called Restrap (it has been in transit for 4 weeks now via Royal Mail - which I suspect is by boat these days!). If that bag doesn't work, your suggestion here is "skookum"! Plus they are a Vancouver company!

I currently have a wooden crate by Two-O strapped to my front carrier with velcro tape that also has this coffee cup holder. It's a nice contraption to have in the summer time but not when it's start to rain. E672EDF6-1BF5-4201-9F51-16CDB0F9F880.jpeg980446DC-0433-45EF-8ADC-108755A4217E.jpeg

@catzilla thanks for the suggestions, Restrap in particular seems to make really nice bags.
I’ve thought about a crate as well, but have the same hesitation about rain and snow. I’m a year-round commuter in New York. Your crate does look sturdier than the generic wooden crate I was thinking of getting from Home Depot though.

Just got back from my first longish ride, 49.5 miles on the one battery (a second one is on order). Spent probably half of it in Tour, most of the rest in Eco or coasting downhill, and some Sport thrown in at stop lights when I was getting tired. I’m very impressed with that range. The range on the display ticked over from 1 mile to 0 right as I turned onto my block.

@catzilla Our LBS has hit a dead end with Gazelle. My wife’s and my friend’s NLs still don’t have the Walk Assist enabled. We plan on contacting Gazelle directly this week. Maybe you can do the same? We have been very patient.

Last edited:
Great idea, @EdM ! I will include my bike and battery serial number in my communication. Do you know of and where we can find the motor’s serial number?

Back