Vibration through crank

DiggyGun

Region
United Kingdom
City
Buckinghamshire
Hi All

I have a Nevo3 GT Vario GX bike which has developed a vibration through the crank that is felt when peddling.

Specifically, it is more noticeable when the Enviolo hub is in more lower resistance. For example;
- when the display is showing a hill, (more resistance) and I’m using Tour, get a vibration
IMG_1108.jpeg

- when the display is flatter and I’m using EMTB or Turbo, no vibration
IMG_1107.jpeg

I’ve checked the following;
- pedals, weren’t loose, but nipped up.
- rear wheel, both nuts were loose, so tightened up.

Anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

DG…

I hope someone can offer an advice, as I experience a similar vibration on my Vado SL at times...

Yesterday, the bike started to make a grinding noise in addition to the vibration when peddling a bit harder.

So did some further investigation. Firstly, found that the bearings were very graunchy on the pedals. Changed them, hoping this did the job. But no, vibration is a bit better and the pedals also feel better. Secondly, borrowed the noise down to the rear Enviolo hub area. Could replicate it, by turning the pedals by hand, but couldn’t locate the actual source of the noise.

Recently, had some work done on the Enviolo hub, as had a broken part, which was swapped out and some new cables. So assuming that it is associated with that, maybe an alignment issue.

If I don’t pedal too hard, all is quiet, so hopefully will be OK until I can get my LBS to have a look at it again.

DG…

Yesterday, the bike started to make a grinding noise in addition to the vibration when peddling a bit harder.

So did some further investigation. Firstly, found that the bearings were very graunchy on the pedals. Changed them, hoping this did the job. But no, vibration is a bit better and the pedals also feel better. Secondly, borrowed the noise down to the rear Enviolo hub area. Could replicate it, by turning the pedals by hand, but couldn’t locate the actual source of the noise.

Recently, had some work done on the Enviolo hub, as had a broken part, which was swapped out and some new cables. So assuming that it is associated with that, maybe an alignment issue.

If I don’t pedal too hard, all is quiet, so hopefully will be OK until I can get my LBS to have a look at it again.

DG…
Curious to know what went wrong on Enviolo? I’ve got two R&M with this hub and believed they were pretty bomb proof?

What generation Bosch motor do you have? On the earlier Gen 2 motors I've had vibrations with the Vario hubs due to a near 1:1 ratio and the reduction drive in that drive unit. It happens when pedaling harder with the motor working hard too.

@DiggyGun, Are you running a chain or a belt? It could be time for cleaning off the bike in a jar and lube immersion in a jar. It could be time for belt or chain replacement or also replacement of the rear sprocket/cog. Gates still require maintenance and it is costly. Oh, if at the time of service they over-tightened the belt or chain it could give these symptoms exactly as you describe. Check that first.
1686351799342.png

1686351975261.png

1686352046216.png

1686352156342.png

Update.

Bike has been back to the LBS, where they did some investigation.

They said it sounded like something was rubbing, but couldn’t find where. Checked the alignment if the rear wheel to make sure perfectly straight and sprayed some silicone spray on the rubber belt. But they couldn’t get the vibration.

They advised now quieter and to try it out, which I will do in between the the rain.

If no better, they will take to the group head office workshop to see if they can sort it out.

DG…

Back