VERY disappointed with my new 2023 Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

Inthewind

Region
Canada

I wanted to give everyone a heads up regarding the new Specialized Turbo Como 3.0. I worked so hard to find a new bike that fit my body and met my mechanical needs from my Townie ebike. After test driving as many options as possible in Victoria and with the great amount of help from this website and the guys at Caps in Port Moody I was happy to purchase this bike. Everyone was very helpful and supportive.​

Myself and my husband have always had Specialized bikes and this is the brand that fits my body, after being customized. I was confident I could do the same with the eBike and was so excited to purchase this expensive, new bike. I soon realized after visiting a few bikes shops that Specialized has totally limited the adjustments to this bike. You can’t adjust the handle bars at all, it’s totally locked down and cannot be adjusted. WHY would they do this? I am beyond frustrated with this ebike, I just need to raise the handle bars up another inch to ride it without pain. I am at the point I am going to cut pieces of pool noodles to put on my handles.​

I just wanted to add this comment to anyone’s interest in this model of Specialized so you don’t make the same huge mistake I make.​

PS, one more point. Specialized should realize their demographic is older riders, why make the computer screen so hard to read. I can't see anything in the sun and the read outs are way too small. LOVE my Bosch system on my Townie much more.

Its not just Specialized, several other companies are doing this now! Non adjustable proprietary handlebars and stems makes zero sense to me, i hate it.

Sounds like something to keep in mind when looking for that next bike?

Out of curiosity and boredom I looked at an image of this bike. The stem riser and handlebar looks like a single unit but the fork stem should be a standard size like 1 1/8" (28.6mm). Can't a bike shop just replace the riser and handlebars with more standard units? It looks like the cables/lines are long enough for additional height. Parts would easily be less than $100, then cost of installation if you can't do it yourself.
$20 for this one, they come in different sizes and styles if you don't like the look. Then handlebars of your choice as long as the cables are long enough for what you choose.
1663178237727.png

Out of curiosity and boredom I looked at an image of this bike. The stem riser and handlebar looks like a single unit but the fork stem should be a standard size like 1 1/8" (28.6mm). Can't a bike shop just replace the riser and handlebars with more standard units? It looks like the cables/lines are long enough for additional height. Parts would easily be less than $100, then cost of installation if you can't do it yourself.
$20 for this one, they come in different sizes and styles if you don't like the look. Then handlebars of your choice as long as the cables are long enough for what you choose.
View attachment 135185
Thanks for your suggestion, I have been to three Specialized shops and spoke with the Western Canada's Specialized Rep. You can't open the stem section at all, its all closed off.

Thanks for your suggestion, I have been to three Specialized shops and spoke with the Western Canada's Specialized Rep. You can't open the stem section at all, its all closed off.
This sounds like smoke and mirrors to me. It had to be assembled originally, right? I'm wondering if it might be worth your time to take it to a shop NOT associated with Specialized?

Really a shame. I wondered if you could swap out stem and handlebars. Apparently not. Maybe the fork and steerer tube are proprietary as well. We need to hear from a Como rider that's had it all disassembled.

Minute 9:24

This sounds like smoke and mirrors to me. It had to be assembled originally, right? I'm wondering if it might be worth your time to take it to a shop NOT associated with Specialized?
Not necessarily. It is the Specialized Bicycle Components. As I am a Specialized fan, I admit there are many proprietary components and solutions in Specialized e-bikes making modifications complicated. For instance, the Vado is far easier to mod than the Como is.

What I think is doable is to get rid of the proprietary stem (it must be removable: otherwise the bike could not be assembled) and even of the handlebars if that's the only possibility. Remove the grips and all controls from the bars and replace the whole thing with a more standard stem and handlebars. And I think the standard OEM fork must have a standard steerer tube.

General note: A big font complaint from the first-time poster is not perceived very well in these Forums. The OP said she was demo riding all e-bikes before purchase. Didn't she notice the Como was not quite comfortable before it was bought?

@GuruUno: You have tried it all. What do you think?

Last edited:
@Inthewind - I certainly hope you didn't actually buy the bike! It is only an expensive mistake if you've taken delivery.

There are so many good, brand name ebikes out there, that choosing specialized really doesn't mean a whole lot. Isn't Trek even under the same company umbrella? Then there is Giant an any number of other options.

I would never buy a bike from a company that pulls the proprietary/non-standard card. They are hurting their own customers up front, and down the road themselves.

Not necessarily. It is the Specialized Bicycle Components. As I am a Specialized fan, I admit there are many proprietary components and solutions in Specialized e-bikes making modifications complicated. For instance, the Vado is far easier to mod than the Como is.

What I think is doable is to get rid of the proprietary stem (it must be removable: otherwise the bike could not be assembled) and even of the handlebars if that's the only possibility. Remove the grips and all controls from the bars and replace the whole thing with a more standard stem and handlebars. And I think the standard OEM fork must have a standard steerer tube.

General note: A big font complaint from the first-time poster is not perceived very well in these Forums. The OP said she was demo riding all e-bikes before purchase. Didn't she notice the Como was not quite comfortable before it was bought?

@GuruUno: You have tried it all. What do you think?

That's exactly why I was suggesting the bike be taken to a NON Specialized shop, so it could be seen/looked at by eyes not obscured by Specialized fan boy ideals.

@Art Deco is your Como the same and have you disassembled the stem and handlebars? Any advice?

There must have been a misunderstanding. Even without seeing it in person I'd be confident that the stem and handlebar can be removed and that the steerer tube is standard. Should only need new stem and handlebar and additional steering tube spacers. There are options for display mounts that would take the place of a steering tube cap or spacers.
You would need to find a shop with at least a little bit of imagination and minimal ability.
If you already have the bike and like it (it looks like a great bike) it might be worth the effort to have it looked at by a competent bike shop.
Of course I could be entirely wrong about everything and specialized has some proprietary fork/steerer tube but that seems unlikely.

Multitasking as I'm out for a ride.
IMG_20220914_134230387_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
As EMGX said, the steerer tube should be of standard size, and the TCD display mount is Garmin compatible. (Unless I'm wrong).
P.S. The picture Alaskan showed indicates the comfortable handlebars are located very high. Making it even higher could be difficult even with a 75 mm stem raiser, and it would cause the rider to sit not only upright but in a weird backwards position.

That's exactly why I was suggesting the bike be taken to a NON Specialized shop, so it could be seen/looked at by eyes not obscured by Specialized fan boy ideals.
Careful he’ll have to eliminate one of the 1000 ignored members to ignore you. Just when ya think forum life couldn’t be stranger…

Careful he’ll have to eliminate one of the 1000 ignored members to ignore you. Just when ya think forum life couldn’t be stranger…
To quote- "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".

$10,000 Stromers right down to $2000 Okais!
At least Specialized dont build the display into the stem *facepalm*.

Back