Scott Sub Cross Eride 20

girlpower

Region
USA
I am researching the purchase of my first ebike and have found helpful reviews on two of the three bikes but not on the Scott Sub Cross Ride 20... Suggestions would be appreciated regarding the three bikes I'm considering. Background: A new cyclist looking to continue my healthy lifestyle with an e-bike; in my 50's and fit but not athlete level; will be using mainly on paved trails and may be some gravel trails in Utah and Colorado; some shoulder and hand problems so comfort is important. Important that it can be serviced and maintained easily with good tires.
1) Trek Verve +3 - This one doesn't have suspension and bluetooth compared to others . . . thoughts?
2) Specialized Turbo Como 3.0 - Handlebars don't adjust on this bike - will lack of handlebar movement affect shoulder/ hand comfort? Is the gear shift on the handles easier?
3) Scott Sub Cross Eride 3 - The only one promoting paved and gravel trail riding but did not see a current review on it. . .

Looking for thoughts from any of you with experience regarding these options or if you have similar better options, let me know! Thanks!

I am researching the purchase of my first ebike and have found helpful reviews on two of the three bikes but not on the Scott Sub Cross Ride 20... Suggestions would be appreciated regarding the three bikes I'm considering. Background: A new cyclist looking to continue my healthy lifestyle with an e-bike; in my 50's and fit but not athlete level; will be using mainly on paved trails and may be some gravel trails in Utah and Colorado; some shoulder and hand problems so comfort is important. Important that it can be serviced and maintained easily with good tires.
1) Trek Verve +3 - This one doesn't have suspension and bluetooth compared to others . . . thoughts?
2) Specialized Turbo Como 3.0 - Handlebars don't adjust on this bike - will lack of handlebar movement affect shoulder/ hand comfort? Is the gear shift on the handles easier?
3) Scott Sub Cross Eride 3 - The only one promoting paved and gravel trail riding but did not see a current review on it. . .

Looking for thoughts from any of you with experience regarding these options or if you have similar better options, let me know! Thanks!
@girlpower,

Let us face it: All the three are entry-level e-bikes with inexpensive componentry and low power motors as compared to the weight. Why I did not like about the Trek and Scott was:
  • The older Bosch E-Bike system, making those two e-bikes obsolete a bit
  • Disappointingly small battery (400 Wh), which is substandard nowadays
  • Barebone electronics with minimum information on the display and no connectivity whatsoever
  • Quick Release skewer on the hubs, which is inherently unsafe on e-bikes, especially for the fork side (under a pessimistic scenario, the front wheel could separate from the e-bike during the ride).
Compared to those two, the Turbo Como 3.0 really stands out:
  • The most current Specialized Mastermind system with a new motor and battery type
  • A bigger battery (530 Wh), potentially making up to 32.5% longer rides
  • The best electronics out in the market with full Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity.
As you have correctly pointed out, the Como is equipped with the custom stem and handlebars that do not lend themselves to any modification. (That is the biggest flaw of that e-bike). The Como is actually a "cruiser e-bike" forcing you to ride in upright position. While that riding position allows you going for relatively short rides (such as going for coffee or some grocery shopping), the prolonged ride will end with sore (uhm, I apologise) butt, and your spine might get compressed, leading to assorted aches including numb hands.

I assume you are on a limited budget. Trying a Specialized Turbo Vado ST 3.0 could be a better idea, as that model allows for modifications. If you could afford more, Vado 4.0 ST is the sweet point model with a huge battery, stronger motor, and far better componentry.

Bear in mind: all the e-bikes you have considered are urban creatures, and I would not set off for gravel or light off-road on any of them. The Vado can be used for these purposes.

Now, in case you have a chance for a demo ride at your Specialized LBS, please give the Turbo Vado SL 4.0 ST a try. Designed as a "fitness e-bike", it is actually a "gravel e-bike with flat handlebars". The motor power is low and the internal battery is small on the VSL (the latter can be expanded with a Range Extender battery, and that combo has more charge than the heavy Trek or Scott -- 480 Wh). What is special about the Vado SL is its low weight (33-37 lbs depending on the model). Vado SL is as lightweight as you can carry it in a single hand! The low weight makes the VSL feel and handle as a regular bicycle, which is an unusually good e-bike experience.

For your information: I'm 62 with multiple ailments, the worst of them being atherosclerosis of legs, so I will never be fit again. Still, I could do a 62 mile ride on a Vado SL (with a Range Extender) on last Saturday. I also own a top-end (older) Vado (a full power e-bike), which I use for fast and long rides, especially on mountain roads. Given the Scott, Trek and Vado/Como 3.0 have 50-65 Nm motors but weigh 55-58 lbs, and Vado SL motor is 35 Nm but it is lightweight, the Vado SL could be a good alternative to the "full power" e-bikes you mentioned. Currently, Vado SL 4.0 ST is pricewise in the league of the other e-bikes of your consideration but it has a better componentry!

I have not heard anything about the potential hills or your planned riding distance. Care to elaborate on that?

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes I think you were either looking at an old model Scott or at the base eRIDE 30. The eRIDE 20 the OP asked about comes with Bosch CX, a 500wh battery and uses the Smart System. Competively specced for its price point I guess, though I would go the the eRIDE which comes with a 625wh battery and Deore groupset (but annoyingly loses the fenders and rack) for +$200.

Agree the the qr skewer choice is unfortunate, but would not go so far as to say it is automatically dangerous.

@Stefan Mikes I think you were either looking at an old model Scott or at the base eRIDE 30. The eRIDE 20 the OP asked about comes with Bosch CX, a 500wh battery and uses the Smart System. Competively specced for its price point I guess, though I would go the the eRIDE which comes with a 625wh battery and Deore groupset (but annoyingly loses the fenders and rack) for +$200.

Agree the the qr skewer choice is unfortunate, but would not go so far as to say it is automatically dangerous.

Thank you! I must have looked up an older model!

The scott is trekking style so there is a bit of weight on your hands, not as bad as MTBs. Checkout the Gazelle range as they maybe more upright.
On both bikes you can change your riding position by adjusting stem and bring handlebars more upright.

@girlpower,

Let us face it: All the three are entry-level e-bikes with inexpensive componentry and low power motors as compared to the weight. Why I did not like about the Trek and Scott was:
  • The older Bosch E-Bike system, making those two e-bikes obsolete a bit
  • Disappointingly small battery (400 Wh), which is substandard nowadays
  • Barebone electronics with minimum information on the display and no connectivity whatsoever
  • Quick Release skewer on the hubs, which is inherently unsafe on e-bikes, especially for the fork side (under a pessimistic scenario, the front wheel could separate from the e-bike during the ride).
Compared to those two, the Turbo Como 3.0 really stands out:
  • The most current Specialized Mastermind system with a new motor and battery type
  • A bigger battery (530 Wh), potentially making up to 32.5% longer rides
  • The best electronics out in the market with full Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity.
As you have correctly pointed out, the Como is equipped with the custom stem and handlebars that do not lend themselves to any modification. (That is the biggest flaw of that e-bike). The Como is actually a "cruiser e-bike" forcing you to ride in upright position. While that riding position allows you going for relatively short rides (such as going for coffee or some grocery shopping), the prolonged ride will end with sore (uhm, I apologise) butt, and your spine might get compressed, leading to assorted aches including numb hands.

I assume you are on a limited budget. Trying a Specialized Turbo Vado ST 3.0 could be a better idea, as that model allows for modifications. If you could afford more, Vado 4.0 ST is the sweet point model with a huge battery, stronger motor, and far better componentry.

Bear in mind: all the e-bikes you have considered are urban creatures, and I would not set off for gravel or light off-road on any of them. The Vado can be used for these purposes.

Now, in case you have a chance for a demo ride at your Specialized LBS, please give the Turbo Vado SL 4.0 ST a try. Designed as a "fitness e-bike", it is actually a "gravel e-bike with flat handlebars". The motor power is low and the internal battery is small on the VSL (the latter can be expanded with a Range Extender battery, and that combo has more charge than the heavy Trek or Scott -- 480 Wh). What is special about the Vado SL is its low weight (33-37 lbs depending on the model). Vado SL is as lightweight as you can carry it in a single hand! The low weight makes the VSL feel and handle as a regular bicycle, which is an unusually good e-bike experience.

For your information: I'm 62 with multiple ailments, the worst of them being atherosclerosis of legs, so I will never be fit again. Still, I could do a 62 mile ride on a Vado SL (with a Range Extender) on last Saturday. I also own a top-end (older) Vado (a full power e-bike), which I use for fast and long rides, especially on mountain roads. Given the Scott, Trek and Vado/Como 3.0 have 50-65 Nm motors but weigh 55-58 lbs, and Vado SL motor is 35 Nm but it is lightweight, the Vado SL could be a good alternative to the "full power" e-bikes you mentioned. Currently, Vado SL 4.0 ST is pricewise in the league of the other e-bikes of your consideration but it has a better componentry!

I have not heard anything about the potential hills or your planned riding distance. Care to elaborate on that?
So much great infornation - thank you! We have most paved trails around St George and a couple really gruesome hills up to our neighborhood. In Colorado, we have paved trail with a possibility of some gravel ones (no interest in true mountain biking), but the loop to town from the base is low grade downhill that turns around and feels much steeper on the way home . . . funny how that works! I am open to your suggestion and will check out the Specialized Turbo Vado. If there are other recommendations in that low, mid $3000 range you would suggest I consider, I appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks for info on quick release - I thought that was a positive feature but doesn't sound like it!

The scott is trekking style so there is a bit of weight on your hands, not as bad as MTBs. Checkout the Gazelle range as they maybe more upright.
On both bikes you can change your riding position by adjusting stem and bring handlebars more upright.
Gazelle - I will check it out! Thanks!

Thanks for info on quick release - I thought that was a positive feature but doesn't sound like it!
Millions of bikes have quick release on front and rear wheels. If they were that big an issue manufacturers wouldn't use. Tighten them correctly and you will never have an problem.

Millions of bikes have quick release on front and rear wheels.
Bikes, yes. It is not uncommon for the QR skewer front wheel to "slip out" from the fork dropouts of a road bike. Have you heard about the recent mortal accident of a teenager girl who rode a RadRunner without the knowledge of her parents? The accident has been attributed to the wheel slip out from a QR axle. E-bikes are fast and heavy. Installing a QR skewer on a heavy e-bike is a sign of irresponsibility and corner-cutting by many e-bike manufacturers.

I've also seen through axles work loose and a wheel almost come off. Quick release can be replace by bolts if you are that concerned about it. Just need to carry spanner in tool kit.

I've also seen through axles work loose and a wheel almost come off.
How come? Never happened to any of my e-bikes, and trust me, my mileage is big.

It was a single time I forgot to tighten the front thru-axle for the front wheel after having the e-bike transported in a car with the wheel removed. I could ride for 20 km with the loose axle, and I only noticed that when the wheel became wobbly. Try not to fasten an QR....

Back