VERY disappointed with my new 2023 Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

One last thing.
Specialized web site states that the fork is a:
SR Suntour MobieA32

That fork has a standard tapered 1 1/8" (28.6mm) steerer tube, nothing special or proprietary per the Suntour web site https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/MOBIE-A32-6891.html
So replacement of the Specialized combined handlebar/riser with more conventional and adjustable riser and handlebar should be doable without too much difficulty.
Understandable if OP doesn't want to go that way and I don't doubt that bike shop "mechanics" (in the loosest sense of the term) can't or won't, or would try to charge a fee that would make the swap impractical. But unless the bike can be returned loss in selling it used might be worth the effort.

One last thing.
Specialized web site states that the fork is a:
SR Suntour MobieA32

That fork has a standard tapered 1 1/8" (28.6mm) steerer tube, nothing special or proprietary per the Suntour web site https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/MOBIE-A32-6891.html
So replacement of the Specialized combined handlebar/riser with more conventional and adjustable riser and handlebar should be doable without too much difficulty.
Understandable if OP doesn't want to go that way and I don't doubt that bike shop "mechanics" (in the loosest sense of the term) can't or won't, or would try to charge a fee that would make the swap impractical. But unless the bike can be returned loss in selling it used might be worth the effort.
Any chance the website spec is out of date? Wouldn't be the first time, would it? OTOH, it makes little sense for Specialized to use unique, proprietary parts in this location on a bike. Not as if you get any real uniqueness or vendor lock in.

Any chance the website spec is out of date? Wouldn't be the first time, would it? OTOH, it makes little sense for Specialized to use unique, proprietary parts in this location on a bike. Not as if you get any real uniqueness or vendor lock in.
current 2023 specs
They do mention a 30 day return policy so possibly that is what the OP did after finding that the handlebar ergonomics didn't work for her.

My buddy @mikeschn just got a Specialized Roll. It is a Como that you can do anything to when you add the motor. He will wire through frame. And he will never need to bow to the proprietary BS.

Attachments

• 1663261038148.png
    1663261038148.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 175
Actually it will look a lot like this and have the latest torque sensor motor. Smooth with 90nm for climbs. There is nothing wrong with Specialized, except for the proprietary bits.

Attachments

• Roll8.JPG
    Roll8.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Roll9 (2).JPG
    Roll9 (2).JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Roll10 (2).JPG
    Roll10 (2).JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Roll11 (2).JPG
    Roll11 (2).JPG
    523 KB · Views: 193
Thats a genuinely idiotic design. The only problem it solves is "not looking cool enough" while making the cockpit a genuine pain in the ass to modify. Lots of companies dabble in proprietary parts, but specialized is in a league of their own (dating back to the weird double crown 25mm fork they tried to foist on the market on the mid 2000s enduros).

You can definitely remove the weird integrated stem/bar thing since its almost certainly a standard fork (as others have said), but it looks to me like the frame geometry has the headtube really low for a comfort bike, so getting enough rise through standard stems and bars is likely going to be difficult.

Really the solution is to go back to the shop and tell them the cockpit absolutely needs adjustment for comfort, and if they are unable to do so trade the bike for something else that can. Nobody should ride a bike that doesn't fit properly, and thats absolutely something that a shop should be able to accomodate.

I'd be disappointed with that lower-tier shock.
I think it is great trekking shock done 8000kms and no complaints. For comparison I've eMTB Fox Performance air fork and HT with Rockshock RL airfork. Small bump compliance is great especially compared lower spec Suntour coil fork on wifes bike. Fine for light trail work and fire roads.

I have a Como too, which I love, but would like to lower the bars. I thought I would chime in here and see if anyone has tried modifying them. Looks like if you can find the right parts, it can be done. The only thing I wonder about is the frame, particularly the opening and finding the right cap or spacer that will fill the void. Here is a pic of the diagram from the manual that shows the inside somewhat.

Attachments

• Screenshot od Como Manual.jpg
    Screenshot od Como Manual.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 129
Man, I don't like proprietary stuff. Then you are stuck. Here is the review of the bike I made yesterday with non-proprietary stuff. I converted a Specialized Sirrus, all thru-frame, no visible connectors or wires. It has a smooth and quiet torque sensing cargo grade motor with 90Nm and is class 3.

Mila O.
1 review

more_vert_black_18dp.png

ic_star_rate_14.png
ic_star_rate_14.png
ic_star_rate_14.png
ic_star_rate_14.png
ic_star_rate_14.png
8 hours ago
NEW

If you’re looking for an amazing e-bike, this is the place to go! Rick is the nicest guy, he really knows his stuff and stands behind his product. But not just that, he uses some amazing technology. I am so happy I went to him for an e-bike conversion. After test riding a very expensive e-bike I decided instead to convert my existing bike. Rick had a super quick turn around and the tech really surpassed my expectations. It’s MUCH better than the e-bike I test rode. Everything is incredibly smooth and doesn’t even feel like you have power behind you. It really just feels like you have super strength on these hills. It’s made biking around hilly Petaluma incredibly fun. I also love how sleek everything looks. You can’t really tell it’s electric at all, aside from the water bottle looking battery. 10/10 recommend, you will be so glad you did!

thumb_up_filled_gm_blue_18dp.png

share_gm_grey_18dp.png
Response from the owner 8 hours ago
Thank you, Mila! Start thinking about trailers for the kids. Your cargo motor is ideal for a trailer on the hills.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up regarding the new Specialized Turbo Como 3.0. I worked so hard to find a new bike that fit my body and met my mechanical needs from my Townie ebike. After test driving as many options as possible in Victoria and with the great amount of help from this website and the guys at Caps in Port Moody I was happy to purchase this bike. Everyone was very helpful and supportive.​

Myself and my husband have always had Specialized bikes and this is the brand that fits my body, after being customized. I was confident I could do the same with the eBike and was so excited to purchase this expensive, new bike. I soon realized after visiting a few bikes shops that Specialized has totally limited the adjustments to this bike. You can’t adjust the handle bars at all, it’s totally locked down and cannot be adjusted. WHY would they do this? I am beyond frustrated with this ebike, I just need to raise the handle bars up another inch to ride it without pain. I am at the point I am going to cut pieces of pool noodles to put on my handles.​

I just wanted to add this comment to anyone’s interest in this model of Specialized so you don’t make the same huge mistake I make.​

PS, one more point. Specialized should realize their demographic is older riders, why make the computer screen so hard to read. I can't see anything in the sun and the read outs are way too small. LOVE my Bosch system on my Townie much more.
I had to return my Como 3 for this reason. The inability to raise the handlebar caused such pain in my right arm, I had to ice it after riding. I felt like I was being pushed forward and down. It took some weeks of riding to realize my pain was getting worse, so back to the store it went. It broke my heart, because otherwise, it's the best bike I've ridden.

it seems like specialized should make a couple different size bars for these bikes. all three sizes come with the same bars. two widths and two heights plus the existing spacer would cover most people, and they could keep the very clean stemless “0 reach” design.

broaden your scope. while interesting there’s a whole other world out there without specialized rose colored lenses.
Due to the fixed handlebar, i now ride this 2023 Giant Explore E +. It’s now my fave with the riser, because it handles so well.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 109
My new bike is a Turbo Como 4.0 IGH. Very few complaints. My sit bones hates the saddle but one I need to work out. The handlebars fit me just fine but the shape is a PIA. Very limited space of add-on accessories and the shape of the bars make it difficult. I have been looking for an add on bar but the shape of the handlebars make it very difficult.

@Art Deco is your Como the same and have you disassembled the stem and handlebars? Any advice?
I have no idea, and would not disassemble any bike. I can take anything apart, but putting it back together right isn't very likely.

My new bike is a Turbo Como 4.0 IGH. Very few complaints. My sit bones hates the saddle but one I need to work out. The handlebars fit me just fine but the shape is a PIA. Very limited space of add-on accessories and the shape of the bars make it difficult. I have been looking for an add on bar but the shape of the handlebars make it very difficult.
My solution for sit bones was to have a more upright sitting position via higher handlebar. Which is hard to do on the Como, of course.

Back