Verve+ 2 Stagger and Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 Trapeze: I look for info

Hi, I am inexperienced and I need your suggestion.
I'd like to buy a new but good E-bike.
I'm undecided between Verve+ 2 Stagger and Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 Trapeze.
I'm 65 years old and and I'm looking for a comfortable E-bike. I will use it on paved but bumpy roads and often uphill,
dirt roads with cobblestones, sometimes through the fields. I will never go on the trails in the mountains.
Repeat, I can do some light off-roading but a lot on paved but bumpy roads, often uphill and dirt roads with cobblestones.
Which of both E-bike do you suggest please?
Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
I suggest the Cube .
It has a higher capacity battery , more powerful drive unit and a suspension fork vs rigid fork on the Trek .

Thanks for your precious news. But maybe I don't understand well. Which suspension fork are you referring to about Verve+ 2 Stagger?
I'm noticing even Verve+ 2 Stagger has a suspension fork.

EDIT: Out of curiosity:
both E-bikes can use the same roads and paths without any problems?

Last edited:
Oh , I was looking at Trek USA which is spec’d differently .

Can you provide a link to the Cube model ?

THANKS a lot
A last question please. In your opinion is Winora Yucatan i9 better than Verve+ 2 Stagger?
Thanks again one.

Hi, I am inexperienced and I need your suggestion.
I'd like to buy a new but good E-bike.
I'm undecided between Verve+ 2 Stagger and Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 Trapeze.
I'm 65 years old and and I'm looking for a comfortable E-bike. I will use it on paved but bumpy roads and often uphill,
dirt roads with cobblestones, sometimes through the fields. I will never go on the trails in the mountains.
Repeat, I can do some light off-roading but a lot on paved but bumpy roads, often uphill and dirt roads with cobblestones.
Which of both E-bike do you suggest please?
Thanks for your advice.
I own a verve Generic Bike : They are comfortable and have a wide range of handle bar and stem adjustable : Also it's not your front end that needs suspension it's your rear end. Namely teh one you use for sitting : Front suspension creates drag : Sadly teh components on teh cube are superior: So is the Motor : IMO Trek missed teh Boat on teh Verve + series with the Motor they chose : I would buy the Verve +3 in a second were the Motor better : Big Mistake : Get teh cube hands down

THANKS a lot
A last question please. In your opinion is Winora Yucatan i9 better than Verve+ 2 Stagger?
Thanks again one.
I like the Cube best .
Winora has a Yamaha drive which I like ; it will ride differently than the Trek which has a Bosch .

Can you test ride any of the 3 ?

I ask you for a favor please, because you are much more experienced than me and I don't know who to turn to for precise info.
I'm about to place the order for an E-bike and I have noticed that the dealer, being the Trek dealer, gives me a special discount on Verve + 2 Stagger with 500 WH battery.
Both are 2021 model. I have never been so undecided on what to do.

Trek Verve + 2 Stagger (with 500 WH battery) around 2300 euro ( List price 2849 euro)

Cube Kathmandu Hibrid Pro 500 around 2400 euro ( List price 2899 euro)

My questions:
1) Have they the same tire width or maybe Cube Kathmandu has a larger tire?
2) Can both go on dirt roads or across some fields? I mean only a bit off road.
3) In your opinion, which of the two is more comfortable?
4) According to your personal taste, which one is more pleasant and beautiful to look at?
5) Which of the two would you buy, even if the Trek Verve + 2 Stagger has a 500 WH battery?

Thank you a lot for your precious news. I'm afraid of making mistakes.

Last edited:
I suggest posting in the Help Choosing an Ebike Forum , you may get more replies :

They all look like good bikes, but the Cube is a better value for only 100 euro more:
  • newest gen 4 Bosch motor (Trek has the previous gen motor unless they updated for 2021 without changing specs on website).
  • integrated battery looks cleaner in my opinion
  • better gearset (10 SPD 11-46)
  • better suspension
  • includes a suspension seatpost

The Cube does appear to have slightly wider tires.

I can't say which bike would be more comfortable for your body. I do think the extra torque and wider gear range of the Cube will allow you to tackle a wider range of riding conditions more comfortably.

Personally, the integrated battery and frame integrated rack of the Cube make it much more visually appealing.

I'm looking at Both the Cube and a Winora (the ix10 or ix12 models). I think the Cube looks more "sporty" while the Winora's are a bit more conservative looking. Winora bikes seem to be fantastic value and very well equipped. I don't understand why they are not more prevalent on the EBR forums. Latest Bosch motors, German made, good value-for-money, etc.

I would suppose that all manufacturers will release updated 2021 bikes within a couple of months so might be worth holding off for a bit to see what is new in the autumn.

They all look like good bikes, but the Cube is a better value for only 100 euro more:
  • newest gen 4 Bosch motor (Trek has the previous gen motor unless they updated for 2021 without changing specs on website).
  • integrated battery looks cleaner in my opinion
  • better gearset (10 SPD 11-46)
  • better suspension
  • includes a suspension seatpost

The Cube does appear to have slightly wider tires.

I can't say which bike would be more comfortable for your body. I do think the extra torque and wider gear range of the Cube will allow you to tackle a wider range of riding conditions more comfortably.

Personally, the integrated battery and frame integrated rack of the Cube make it much more visually appealing.
Yeah I agree : And I am a Trek Fan : IMO I think the Trek is likely more comfortable : BUTTTT I doubt you'd be very happy with that motor : Especially climbing a hill vs the CX : When they came out with the Verve +3 I was super disappointed they didn't have one of the Quicker more powerful Motors : The Verve +3 is a sharp looker : But that motor ???? Bummer

I'm looking at Both the Cube and a Winora (the ix10 or ix12 models). I think the Cube looks more "sporty" while the Winora's are a bit more conservative looking. Winora bikes seem to be fantastic value and very well equipped. I don't understand why they are not more prevalent on the EBR forums. Latest Bosch motors, German made, good value-for-money, etc.

I would suppose that all manufacturers will release updated 2021 bikes within a couple of months so might be worth holding off for a bit to see what is new in the autumn.
Winora does not sell to the North America market and the US/Canadian members far outnumber the Europeans and Asians here. Their sister brand Haibike is in the US market but is a relatively small player.

I am undecided whether to buy the first or the second Cube Kathmandu Hibrid Pro 500.
1) What do you recommend at my age of 66?
2) Which of the two do you like more aesthetically?

Attachments

• Cattura1.JPG
    Cattura1.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Cattura2.JPG
    Cattura2.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 366
Damn, this morning I went to place the order for the CUBE Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 and the dealer told me he was wrong with the price and offered me the CUBE Kathmandu Hybrid ONE 500. UFFFFF
He told me that the only difference is between the spring and air suspension.
Is it true?
I would like to ask only one specific but important question for me: in dirt and bumpy roads does the spring suspension give the same comfort as the air suspension? I don't mean off-road but only really on dirt, bumpy and uphill roads.
Look at the specs:

Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500:

Kathmandu Hybrid ONE 500:

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dealer's error. That explains why the level of components between the Trek and Cube were so different. I would still take the Cube One over the Trek.
He told me that the only difference is between the spring and air suspension.
Is it true?

No. Besides the front suspension, the other major differences are the gearset and the display. The Pro has a 10 speed Shimano Deore gearset and the One has a 9 speed lower level Shimano. The Pro has the Bosch Intuvia display while the One has the entry level Purion
I would like to ask only one specific but important question for me: in dirt and bumpy roads does the spring suspension give the same comfort as the air suspension? I don't mean off-road but only really on dirt, bumpy and uphill roads.

That is subjective. You don't sound like someone who will be hard on your bike, but it's difficult to say. Generally, air suspensions are considered superior because they are lighter and more tunable. Does the dealer have any bikes you can test with similar suspensions?

I don't know how to thank you for your availability. One last question: as I'm a lazy one, so I'd like to know if the air suspensions needs more maintenance than the spring one after a few years of use.
For example: after 5-6-7 years of use of the E-bike, does the air or spring suspension need more maintenance? In a nutshell, can I do this maintenance myself or do I have to take the E-bike to the mechanic?
Thanks again one.

Last edited:
Back