Verve +2 Chain Guard Removal

Howard A

My 2020 Verve +2 has the factory installed full length chainguard that makes it difficult to access the chain for resetting after a chain slip and for general maintenance.
I'd like to replace this with a more typical circular chain guard attached to the outside of the chainring.

Has anyone done this modification to their Verve +2?

Thanks in advance, Howard

I have the same question Howard did you ever come to a solution?
I want to take mine off and go with a new ring type but I'm not sure which one to buy.
I know the are 38T and was thinking of this one.
Thanks
Mike

I ordered that arm remover earlier and plan to use it, but I want to go to a different guard so I can install the chain on a trail if it comes off. The OEM won’t allow you to do that. M

I ordered that arm remover earlier and plan to use it, but I want to go to a different guard so I can install the chain on a trail if it comes off. The OEM won’t allow you to do that. M
not sure if you're going to find a guard that does not get in the way.. thats why most bikes don't have them.

Never moved past the concept phase Mike. I checked with my local Trek tech and he told me it wasn't easily doable and would require some hunting around for a new ring and guard that would work. According to him Trek/Bontrager had no such part. Now, he told me this as he was changing out my front chain ring to a modified narrow width (NW) chain ring which has eliminated my chain slippage problems.
I have put about 600 miles on the new NW chainring over the past few months on varied terrain and surface conditions with zero chain slips.....therefore I have given up on the guard removal idea.
Looks like you may have found one that works, not sure. If you are experiencing frequent chain slips definitely get it into your Trek shop and they'll get you set.
Good luck!
Howard

I can't add any info to the search for a new chain guard, but I thought I would mention that I removed the chain guard on my Verve+ 2 at 88 miles and have had no problems with pants touching the bare chain (I am now at 1,300+ miles). My chain came off at 88 miles and I had to visit bike shop to have it put back on. When I realized how involved it was to get to chain, I had them leave the guard off. I commute with my bike and so the factory chain guard is simply unacceptable. Since removing the guard, I haven't had a single chain slip, but still I keep the guard off. My bike shop did, however, recently put a spacer on at the chain ring, per Trek's service bulletin, that is supposed to prevent chain problems.

I can't add any info to the search for a new chain guard, but I thought I would mention that I removed the chain guard on my Verve+ 2 at 88 miles and have had no problems with pants touching the bare chain (I am now at 1,300+ miles). My chain came off at 88 miles and I had to visit bike shop to have it put back on. When I realized how involved it was to get to chain, I had them leave the guard off. I commute with my bike and so the factory chain guard is simply unacceptable. Since removing the guard, I haven't had a single chain slip, but still I keep the guard off. My bike shop did, however, recently put a spacer on at the chain ring, per Trek's service bulletin, that is supposed to prevent chain problems.
Thanks I’m going to try the same and have thaw shop leave the guard off. I read where someone installed a aftermarket my bike ring but I can’t find the blog now.
where did the shop put the spacer?

Hi Mike,
The spacer goes between the chain ring and the motor. It looks like a plastic shim. I also read on this forum someone having the chain ring replaced with a different type--more of a mountain-bike style?--but my Trek shop went with the spacer, which Trek emailed me about before it was available.

Gabriel

Attachments

• 66138193-F561-482B-A791-D15F6A66BB29.jpeg
    66138193-F561-482B-A791-D15F6A66BB29.jpeg
    869.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 3C95D25F-4DF9-40D0-B168-2A1F1D719D21.jpeg
    3C95D25F-4DF9-40D0-B168-2A1F1D719D21.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 667
That’s what I’m looking for, was it difficult to install? How did you remove the OEM by pulling the crank arm off?
Thanks
I didn’t pull the crank arm off, just the pedal. The chain guard was then a tight fit to come off around the crank arm, but doable with a slight bit of bending of the hole in the guard, which I never intend to re-use. It was a delicate job to remove the gear screws and put the new supplied, slightly longer ones in from behind... not a lot of finger room. A crank wrench would make the job easier all around, but it went reasonably smoothly. I do prefer the look as well as functionality. The guard is reversible... I just faced the graphics inward.

Never moved past the concept phase Mike. I checked with my local Trek tech and he told me it wasn't easily doable and would require some hunting around for a new ring and guard that would work. According to him Trek/Bontrager had no such part. Now, he told me this as he was changing out my front chain ring to a modified narrow width (NW) chain ring which has eliminated my chain slippage problems.
I have put about 600 miles on the new NW chainring over the past few months on varied terrain and surface conditions with zero chain slips.....therefore I have given up on the guard removal idea.
Looks like you may have found one that works, not sure. If you are experiencing frequent chain slips definitely get it into your Trek shop and they'll get you set.
Good luck!
Howard
I did receive the same response from both my local Trek shop and Trek online response. The Allant guard looks like a clean fit but is only available as part of the complete crank set. So I went with an aftermarket guard, and it is working fine, a good fit.

I didn’t pull the crank arm off, just the pedal. The chain guard was then a tight fit to come off around the crank arm, but doable with a slight bit of bending of the hole in the guard, which I never intend to re-use. It was a delicate job to remove the gear screws and put the new supplied, slightly longer ones in from behind... not a lot of finger room. A crank wrench would make the job easier all around, but it went reasonably smoothly. I do prefer the look as well as functionality. The guard is reversible... I just faced the graphics inward.
I have a crank removal wrench so I plan on using it. Is there another guard behind the sprocket next to the motor?
Waiting on the guard you spoke of to come in then I will tackle it.
Thanks
Mike

I have a crank removal wrench so I plan on using it. Is there another guard behind the sprocket next to the motor?
Waiting on the guard you spoke of to come in then I will tackle it.
Thanks
Mike
I can’t say if there’s another guard... wasn’t an issue for me.

I can’t say if there’s another guard... wasn’t an issue for me.
I got it!
pulled the crank arm, removed the old guard and replaced it with a mt bike ring.

Attachments

• D6C5925F-56C5-4DFE-96D3-DBB069BDD01C.jpeg
    D6C5925F-56C5-4DFE-96D3-DBB069BDD01C.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 630
  • 470EFE64-B4DF-4338-8421-93B0056D58A6.jpeg
    470EFE64-B4DF-4338-8421-93B0056D58A6.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 605
  • 8AE29FD5-BA4B-464D-BE7D-B50949082125.jpeg
    8AE29FD5-BA4B-464D-BE7D-B50949082125.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 29175451-5798-497B-A767-D6AE7827E8B2.jpeg
    29175451-5798-497B-A767-D6AE7827E8B2.jpeg