Verve +2 Chain Guard Removal

Update:
After 8 months of riding with my new and improved NW chainring I had a chain slip yesterday while out on a ride. Months ago I had elected to leave the OEM chainguard in place.
After 15 minutes of monkeying around with the horrible OEM chainguard on the road, the simple task of resetting the chain was completed.

The very minute I got home, off came the right pedal, OEM chainguard was removed and happily exiled to the recycle bin.
Man, what a terrible design!

I'm going without chainguard for now and may follow your recommendation on the guard you selected Mike.
Thanks all
Howard

I bought my Verve+ 2 last November (2020). Is there any way I can tell if it has the problem chainring or not? Like maybe serial number? I took a ride today for the first time in awhile due to warmer weather in New England and the chain came off twice, once to the inside and then to the outside. This had not happened previously (probably ridden about 12 times total). Fortunately I had a multitool and could get the chainguard loose enough to get my fingers in there to coax the chain back where it belonged. But you all know it’s not a fun task. Was really jammed in there when it slipped to the outside. Not sure if I should bring it up with the bike shop now. Feel like maybe they must’ve known about the issue if it’s so well known on this forum.

Well, I was in love with the bike but now I’m just in like.

Thanks for the info,

Linda

I bought my Verve+ 2 last November (2020). Is there any way I can tell if it has the problem chainring or not? Like maybe serial number? I took a ride today for the first time in awhile due to warmer weather in New England and the chain came off twice, once to the inside and then to the outside. This had not happened previously (probably ridden about 12 times total). Fortunately I had a multitool and could get the chainguard loose enough to get my fingers in there to coax the chain back where it belonged. But you all know it’s not a fun task. Was really jammed in there when it slipped to the outside. Not sure if I should bring it up with the bike shop now. Feel like maybe they must’ve known about the issue if it’s so well known on this forum.

Well, I was in love with the bike but now I’m just in like.

Thanks for the info,

Linda
That definitely shouldn’t be happening. You should have your dealer take a look.

Linda, I feel your pain. After a year of dealing with the chain slip on my Verve +2 here is my advice:

1. Immediately take your bike back to your Trek dealer and have them diagnose the issue. They will make it right. Most likely they will install a narrow wide (NW) chainring for you at no cost.

2. Have them remove the OEM chainguard and leave it off, it makes access to the chain that much easier to reset a slip and allows you to lube and maintain your chain, cassette and chainring that much simpler...you know, kinda like a normal bike? Sheesh.

I should also add that chain slips are not uncommon with bikes, it has happened throughout history and will continue to happen. But, you shouldn't need 15 minutes and tools to reset it....get rid of the funky chainguard cause slips are going to occasionally happen down the road.

Hope this helps and you fall back in love with your bike....it is a really great bike!

Best of luck

Howard

Linda, I feel your pain. After a year of dealing with the chain slip on my Verve +2 here is my advice:

1. Immediately take your bike back to your Trek dealer and have them diagnose the issue. They will make it right. Most likely they will install a narrow wide (NW) chainring for you at no cost.

2. Have them remove the OEM chainguard and leave it off, it makes access to the chain that much easier to reset a slip and allows you to lube and maintain your chain, cassette and chainring that much simpler...you know, kinda like a normal bike? Sheesh.

I should also add that chain slips are not uncommon with bikes, it has happened throughout history and will continue to happen. But, you shouldn't need 15 minutes and tools to reset it....get rid of the funky chainguard cause slips are going to occasionally happen down the road.

Hope this helps and you fall back in love with your bike....it is a really great bike!

Best of luck

Howard
Thanks for your reply. I am an experienced 67 year old cyclist with more bikes than I care to admit 😂 and no stranger to the occasional chain mishap but am a newbie to the ebike.

Linda
If you haven't seen this check out the following thread related to this problem:

Howard

Back