Vado speed

RTeremi

Region
USA
City
Ivins
We have both a 2020 Vado 4.0 and a Como 4.0. I ride the Vado and she rides the Como. I’ve had the Vado for about a month and thought everything was fine until we rode together. She’s on the Como just pulling away from me, few miles later I convince her to swap for a bit. Mission control set to the same output on both, turns out her Como I can ride much faster (just under 30mph) and I feel like I’m putting out the same effort where my Vado seems to max at 17mph before it feels like I’m peddling against the motor.

Double check mission control on both and check the firmware: turns out all of hers are newer. Could this explain the difference?

Yeah it's possible your Vado has the the European 20mph max speed set somewhere and needs to be changed to the 28mph setting (I don't know how to do this). However, even with the same settings the Como has the potential to reach higher speeds much more easily as it has a 48t front chain ring vs. the vado's 40 t, i.e. 48/11> 40/11. My wife is able to hit 25 - 27 on her Como 4.0 sprinting, and that's in assist level 1 (I converted a bike to a bbshd which lets me keep up!!)

Why would Specialized use a different chain ring on the Como vs Vado? I may be. Using the wrong terminology here (definitely a Newbie here) but I’ve been wishing for a higher gear ratio on my Vado. I find I am always wishing there was another ‘click’ or two when I’m riding. Some have suggested that I swap out the 40t for a 48t chain ring.

It begs the question though- why didn’t Specialized built it this way? I have truly never been in a gear lower than 7 or 8 in my first 100 miles.

Last edited:
Why would Specialized use a different chain ring on the Como vs Vado?
Because they are a global corporation, serving many markets, and their sales planning is poor. This is what I think:

The Vado and Como are probably made in Taiwan. In the marketing/sales planning for the next year, Specialized have to plan how many:
  • Euro/Pacific 25 km/h e-bikes could be sold
  • Euro 45 km/h e-bikes should be built
  • North American Class 1 e-bikes could be sold, especially in Canada (the 20 mph / 32 km/h spec)
  • U.S Class 3...
I even don't mention South America or Africa or Asia.

Now, the factories making Vado and Como (I think it is Merida) get the order to make this and this number of e-bikes of this and this spec for this and that market.

If we're talking Europe, there is only a single 45 km/h model, which is the Vado 6.0. It is equipped according to the Euro L1e-B spec and it has the 48T chainring as well as the 1.2s motor. The Class 3 models dedicated for the United States are Vado 5.0 and Como 5.0: the 1.3 motor and 48t chainring.

Suddenly, Specialized realise they are unable to sell as many Class 1 e-bikes (the 1.2 motor and 40T chainring) as planned but these bikes have been already built. What to do? "Let us make a double rebate sales in the U.S.! Take the Class 1 Vados, reprogram them to the speed limit of 28 mph, and we'll empty the warehouses!" Does it ring a bell for you?

The 1.2 motor is powerful and it does its work for the Class 3. However, the 40T Vados must be the bikes planned as Class 1 but sold as Class 3 ones. (Why the U.S. Como 4.0 comes with the 48T chainring remains a mystery to me).

@RTeremi, ask your Specialized LBS if they could replace the chainring in your Vado with the 48T one. That should help.

We have both a 2020 Vado 4.0 and a Como 4.0. I ride the Vado and she rides the Como. I’ve had the Vado for about a month and thought everything was fine until we rode together. She’s on the Como just pulling away from me, few miles later I convince her to swap for a bit. Mission control set to the same output on both, turns out her Como I can ride much faster (just under 30mph) and I feel like I’m putting out the same effort where my Vado seems to max at 17mph before it feels like I’m peddling against the motor.

Double check mission control on both and check the firmware: turns out all of hers are newer. Could this explain the difference?
Do this. What is the highest speed you are reaching when on your Vado 4.0 in turbo power level? If you are not exceeding 20 mph, then ask yourself whether the LBS may have sold you a model 3.0 by mistake (the Model 3.0 being 20 mph limited, above 20 you are doing all the work).

Something is off, 17mph is the ‘peddling against the motor’ speed for me right now. It’s an odd number but it’s very predictable. It’s kind of funny as I’ve been happy with the first 150miles thinking I just need to get stronger to ride faster, thinking ‘how the hell does anyone ride this anywhere near 28mph?’ Taking it to the LBS this afternoon.

Will be very interesting to see how this all resolves.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out!

. (Why the U.S. Como 4.0 comes with the 48T chainring remains a mystery to me).
I think I would be willing to pay for a conversation with people from Specialized and have them explain their intensions regarding speed classes on Vado/Como models.
On the Specialized US website I can’t find anything about 20mph or 28mph regarding Vado/Como.

I think I would be willing to pay for a conversation with people from Specialized and have them explain their intensions regarding speed classes on Vado/Como models.
On the Specialized US website I can’t find anything about 20mph or 28mph regarding Vado/Como.
Vado and Como 4.0 are clearly Class 3/28mph in the US. The only part I don’t understand is why the different chain rings for the two.

I am really intrigued to hear the outcome of this story.

I am still not sure which piece of software controls the maximum speed (ie) Display, Motor or Battery, or more than 1.

I have no wish to travel any faster than I am here (25km/h) as a base speed, because of our infrastucture (or lack of) :).

Last edited:
So the winner was the 25km limit was turned on. I was peddling through it and it was really hitting me at 17mph.
They did update the firmware, but unrelated. HUGE difference! I was happy with the bike, now I’m ecstatic!

10mile ride to the LBS (Before the fix)
avg 14.9Mph cadence 69 max 28mph (riding with it on 3 power level) default settings
Ride back (After the fix)
avg 19mph cadence 63 max 34mph (riding with it on 2 power level) default settings

Glad it was a simple fix.

Last edited:
Back