Vado SL's - actual weights

hankj

Region
USA
I've been reading all over the place that the Vado SL is 33lbs / 15 kilos. Mine was two pounds heavier stock from the shop.

I would love to hear from owners who have actually put/hang their bikes on a scale. How much does your Vado SL weigh? Please include exact model, year, size and a list of parts changes/additions/subtractions if applicable.

Thank you!

2023 Vado SL 4.0 size medium stock weight 34.9 lbs.

Upgraded as follows:

Tubeless Schwalbe G-One Allround 45mm F&R

Token aluminum MTB front wheel

32t alu chainring (in Tahoe right now, so went with Mountain gearing. I'll go to 36t when we go back to Seattle).

Removed six links of chain.

Removed the chain guard.

FSA carbon wrapped aluminum flat bar (quite light)

Bontrager carbon seatpost (only a little lighter than stock)

DMR V6 flat pedals

Terry Butterfly ti saddle (this is my wife's bike, I ride it mostly to run our athletic dog. It might be a couple eyelashes heavier than the stock saddle)

Removed dork disc

Removed rear reflector

Weight as upgraded 33.14 lbs.

I'm surprised that after swapping nearly 2 lb of weight off of the my Vado SL It is just now getting close to the widely expressed 33lbs mark ....

I have a 2022 Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ with large frame. I have modified it with an SRAM XD driver freehub, SRAM GX1275 10t-52t cassette, and Wolftooth 46t chain ring, all of which are a bit lighter than stock. The seatpost and handlebars are carbon fiber. I have augmented the cockpit with a Garmin Edge Explore 2 and added blinking headlight and taillight to improve observability. The saddle is a leather Selle Anatomica H2 with aluminum frame.This bike now has a dry weight (no RE battery, no water bottles, no rack bag) of 38 lbs. This compares with the equivalent weight of my old 2015 Turbo (big GoiSwiss direct drive rear wheel) of around 55lbs.

Upgraded-Vado-SL.jpg

As you can see, I often ride with the range extender battery, 2 water bottles, and I have a rack bag that can carry a 2nd battery, tools, spare tire, wallet, etc.

20220818_123603.jpg

On a recent long distance trip, my maximum all-up weight (bike only) was around 54-55 lbs with RE battery, 2 water bottles, and rack bag with spare RE battery, charger, spare tubes, tire changing tools, miscellaneous emergency supplies, and some quick energy food.

Nice!

Good reminder that accessories, food, water, etc add a lot of weight. So it's really nice that base weight of the Vado SL is low. A 55 lb e-bike can bloat up to 80 lb before you know it!

So my SL comes in at 38.36lbs which is disappointing. Had it in my head it would be around 36lbs. Size medium. It has a rear rack and mudguards not stock, both feel pretty light. And a KlickFlix handlebar adapter for a bag. Cassette is an 11-46 so probably heavier then the stock 11-42. I guess all the bits add up. Not sure what the WTB Byways weigh either. This is without saddlebag with mini tool spare tubes etc and without water bottles.

IMG_4220.jpeg

My Vado SL 4.0 EQ size M has the label "17 kg" (37.4 lb) and it actually weighs 17.15 kg (37.8 lb). Not much a difference.

Mods:
  • Shimano Deore CS-M771 (10 sp, 11-36T) cassette
  • Redshift Shock Stop suspension stem, 100 mm, +/- 6 deg
  • Redshift Shock Stop Computer Mount
  • Redshift Shock Stop Utility Mount
  • GoPro camera mount (for the Lezyne headlight)
  • Redshift Shock Stop suspension seatpost
  • SQlab Innerbarends 410/402 and SQlab handlebar grips 710 (short)
  • Mirrycle mirror
  • Two Specialized Zee Cage II
  • Crankbrothers Stamp 3 pedals
  • Removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver
  • Removed the rear mudflap
  • Replaced the tyres with Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 (tubed)
Funnily enough, all these mods did not significantly change the e-bike rated weight. If I removed the mirror, my Vado SL would be at 17 kg as advertised.
I've been reading all over the place that the Vado SL is 33lbs / 15 kilos.
The Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ? The fenders and the rear rack weight something, and the carbon fork of the 5.0 is certainly more lightweight than the alloy one.

1688417246471.png

From a 122 km (75 mi) ride of yesterday.

Last edited:
My new size Large Vado SL 4.0 weighed in at exactly 35# pounds the day I bought it...a bit heavier than the advertised weight in online reviews of 28#, but still easy enough to lift in and out of my pick-up truck's bed. I did test the size Medium and size Large before buying and even though at 5' 9" tall, which is in the middle of the Specialize recommended size Medium, the size Large fit me much better as I'm mostly torso and like the longer wheel base. My legs are short so the stand over height is a bit tight, but not too bad. Looking at the specs the differences don't seem like much between the two sizes, but riding the two bikes back to back they sure seemed different. Demo riding before you buy is SO-SO IMPORTANT.
Cheers coach 🍻
IMG_0645.jpeg

I've been reading all over the place that the Vado SL is 33lbs / 15 kilos. Mine was two pounds heavier stock from the shop.
The marketing states "as light as 33lbs" - which is a big bright colored flag telling you the actual ready-to-ride weight is going to be more than 33lb.

Notice many of the photos are sans pedals - which can easily add a pound or more (Shimano M324's are 530g).
Medium or Large frames will weigh more than a Small.
Plus 1-2oz per bottle cage.
Plus the weight of a flat repair kit and whatever you're carrying it in.
Changing from stock tires can impact weight too.

All adds up a bit.

I have a 2022 Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ with large frame. I have modified it with an SRAM XD driver freehub, SRAM GX1275 10t-52t cassette, and Wolftooth 46t chain ring, all of which are a bit lighter than stock. The seatpost and handlebars are carbon fiber. I have augmented the cockpit with a Garmin Edge Explore 2 and added blinking headlight and taillight to improve observability. The saddle is a leather Selle Anatomica H2 with aluminum frame.This bike now has a dry weight (no RE battery, no water bottles, no rack bag) of 38 lbs. This compares with the equivalent weight of my old 2015 Turbo (big GoiSwiss direct drive rear wheel) of around 55lbs.

View attachment 157275

As you can see, I often ride with the range extender battery, 2 water bottles, and I have a rack bag that can carry a 2nd battery, tools, spare tire, wallet, etc.

View attachment 157276

On a recent long distance trip, my maximum all-up weight (bike only) was around 54-55 lbs with RE battery, 2 water bottles, and rack bag with spare RE battery, charger, spare tubes, tire changing tools, miscellaneous emergency supplies, and some quick energy food.
An update...I have resurrected an old under seat bag for spare inner tube, tire levers, Co2 bottles, inflater, and universal tool. This saves over 4 lbs compared with my Racktime trunk bag. I also removed the kick stand. My dry weight is now 37 lbs instead of 38 lbs, Weight with seat bag, extra flashing taillight and headlight, and Garmin Edge Explore 2 is around 39 lbs. All-up weight with one range extender and water bottles will be around 45 lbs. This is fine for 40 mile(ish) day trips at a brisk pace and 50 mile at a reserved pace. Adding the 2nd range extender and the Racktime bag ups this to well over 50 lbs and extends my range to 60+ miles with a larger carrying capacity.

My Vado SL 4.0 EQ size M has the label "17 kg" (37.4 lb) and it actually weighs 17.15 kg (37.8 lb). Not much a difference.

Mods:
  • Shimano Deore CS-M771 (10 sp, 11-36T) cassette
  • Redshift Shock Stop suspension stem, 100 mm, +/- 6 deg
  • Redshift Shock Stop Computer Mount
  • Redshift Shock Stop Utility Mount
  • GoPro camera mount (for the Lezyne headlight)
  • Redshift Shock Stop suspension seatpost
  • SQlab Innerbarends 410/402 and SQlab handlebar grips 710 (short)
  • Mirrycle mirror
  • Two Specialized Zee Cage II
  • Crankbrothers Stamp 3 pedals
  • Removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver
  • Removed the rear mudflap
  • Replaced the tyres with Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 (tubed)
Funnily enough, all these mods did not significantly change the e-bike rated weight. If I removed the mirror, my Vado SL would be at 17 kg as advertised.

The Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ? The fenders and the rear rack weight something, and the carbon fork of the 5.0 is certainly more lightweight than the alloy one.

View attachment 157302
From a 122 km (75 mi) ride of yesterday.
Interesting approach to creating a lightweight solution with some suspension in an integrated ebike. I didn't realize it was quite that light with mods!

I'm just curious: Could you estimate how much weight the Redshift seat suspension added?

Also wondering how much both the stem and seat post suspension help. I'm guessing with your tires, you could do some gravel, green (or easy) trails, but blue (or intermediate) trails would be tough for more than a short stretch. By "Intermediate" I mean small roots to ride over, small rock gardens, a few hills, but not too steep going up or down, and only short patches of sand or other slippery surfaces. Am I close? Way off? Just curious.

How does your SL do on really bad roads-- deep potholes, cracks, crumbling pavement so bad it's like gravel, with patches of dirt?

Curious: How much does a full standard-size plastic water bottle weigh? A full oversized plastic water bottle? (I carry a stainless thermos, weight unknown.)

At the top of a half-mile 22% grade recently, a big friendly 50-something guy on a gorgeous gravel bike pulled up. Carbon fiber everything, bare except for 2 oversized water bottles and a small under-seat repair kit. With both bottles full, 22 lbs.

My 500W hub-drive and I slogged up in bottom (27") gear at PAS 7/9, with me huffing and pouring sweat the whole way. He was barely breathing hard.

I'm just curious: Could you estimate how much weight the Redshift seat suspension added?
I cannot and don't want to do it :) It all started with the cassette replacement and the front fender removal as well as the replacement of tyres... There were many changes to my Vado SL. The weight has been kept but the e-bike has become slightly front heavy.

Also wondering how much both the stem and seat post suspension help.
These (as well as the Pathfinder Pro 2 Bliss tyres!) and -- important -- Innerbarends -- help tremendously. When I'm riding, the experience is second to the full suspension. Of course, the "comfort" suspension does not affect the traction, and the e-bike can crash under bad conditions.

I'm guessing with your tires, you could do some gravel, green (or easy) trails, but blue (or intermediate) trails would be tough for more than a short stretch. By "Intermediate" I mean small roots to ride over, small rock gardens, a few hills, but not too steep going up or down, and only short patches of sand or other slippery surfaces. Am I close? Way off? Just curious.
Suffice to say my modified Vado SL can ride anywhere a gravel bike could. The Vado SL was my main ride on the 263 km gravel ultramarathon (I only swapped it for the big Vado for, say, 70 km of mostly road ride -- to manage my battery plan).

The maximum the Vado SL can handle in the "gravel" version are easy singletracks. No rock gardens, the best not tree-roots. Easy hills are OK. Sand patches can be ridden over surprisingly well. The Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss are true gravel tyres, and help a lot regarding the traction and ride comfort.

How does your SL do on really bad roads-- deep potholes, cracks, crumbling pavement so bad it's like gravel, with patches of dirt?
My modified version of Vado SL is excellent on such surfaces. I chose that e-bike to ride the hardest part of the ultramarathon on purpose. The most funny part was climbing a steep hill (approximately 9%) on raw cobblestones! It was in the morning, and I could already identify my hardest competitors. I swore they would not reach the finish line before me!

As I saw the climb, I got an adrenalin rush. Went SL Turbo and the 44-36T gearing, and started pedalling hard, ignoring anything except the ride! As I got atop the hill, I went full speed until the finish line! :D

1694633004840.png

The aforesaid climb as seen from its halfway and top. The photo is blurred as I took it once while slowly descending it on a Vado 5.0. I resigned from a downhill ride there on last Sunday and walked my Vado 6.0 all the way down! :)

Curious: How much does a full standard-size plastic water bottle weigh?
It is 90 grams (3.2 oz) net, so it basically weighs as much as water inside.

The full bottle is 800 g (28 oz). Less than a Range Extender, which is 1.0 kg (2.2 lb).

I would love to hear from owners who have actually put/hang their bikes on a scale. How much does your Vado SL weigh? Please include exact model, year, size and a list of parts changes/additions/subtractions if applicable.

Thank you!

2023 Vado SL 4.0 size medium stock weight 34.9 lbs.

Upgraded as follows:

Tubeless Schwalbe G-One Allround 45mm F&R

Token aluminum MTB front wheel

32t alu chainring (in Tahoe right now, so went with Mountain gearing. I'll go to 36t when we go back to Seattle).

Removed six links of chain.

Removed the chain guard.

FSA carbon wrapped aluminum flat bar (quite light)

Bontrager carbon seatpost (only a little lighter than stock)

DMR V6 flat pedals

Terry Butterfly ti saddle (this is my wife's bike, I ride it mostly to run our athletic dog. It might be a couple eyelashes heavier than the stock saddle)

Removed dork disc

Removed rear reflector

Weight as upgraded 33.14 lbs.

I'm surprised that after swapping nearly 2 lb of weight off of the my Vado SL It is just now getting close to the widely expressed 33lbs mark ....
Just came across this thread again now & noticed you were riding your Vado SL with a 32T chainring in Tahoe & a 36T when back home. How did these small chainrings work out for you? How off road & rough did you go with the 32T and in your normal rides on the 36T how was/is the hill climbing & do you ride mostly on trails or some road too? How’s the top end? Love to see some pictures if you took any!

I love to hear how people modify their Vado SL’s to suit their landscapes/rides.

Just came across this thread again now & noticed you were riding your Vado SL with a 32T chainring in Tahoe & a 36T when back home. How did these small chainrings work out for you? How off road & rough did you go with the 32T and in your normal rides on the 36T how was/is the hill climbing & do you ride mostly on trails or some road too? How’s the top end? Love to see some pictures if you took any!

I love to hear how people modify their Vado SL’s to suit their landscapes/rides.
Ras sorry to take a bit to get back to you.

32T is too small for the Vado SL. I rode with a 12 speed 10-50 mountain bike cassette, and climbed some very steep trails that would have been quite hard on a regular bike even in the 32/50 gear. But the assist made a huge difference in this case. I didn't really use lower than 32/38, and that was quite easy. I ride at a high-ish normal cadence - about 90rpm, but even so there's no circumstance where the Vado SL needs 32t chainring. It's just too low for how the motor works.

36t though I though was quite good. Again, coming from the perspective of a nearly all analog cyclist who spins the crank pretty fast. I liked 10-45t cassette with 36t chainring. It ran really efficiently spinning the crank faster in lower gears and I got a ton of range out of the battery set up like this. 36t was a good call for riding in real mountains and I didn't spin out the high gear before the assist cut off.

The bike itself isn't really anything like a mountain bike on single track trails. For one the harshness is just amplified, and the wheels don't track the terrain like a mountain bike. It offers far less control. It doesn't have great roll over in the head angle, and is apt to wash out in sand. All that said it was fun enough dorking around on Tahoe Mountain green and easy blue rated single track. I rode it up and down a couple thousand feet of mountain trails and it didn't break and I didn't crash. less than 1/2 the speed of my Strava descents on a real MTB, but this is a hybrid, horses for courses etc. I definitely don't want to sell the Vado SL as a purposeful offroad bicycle, but it can ride on dirt about as well as anything in the less dirt-worthy half of the gravel bike spectrum.

SO anyway it's a good little bike! Has its limits and applications but for what it is a good ride.

My Vado SL 5.0 weighed 35.5 pounds as delivered. I didn't record what it was after I added the basics including a rack, bottle cages, and sidestand. I'll have to weigh it again someday with all the other things I've added, with and without my rack bag, etc.

Back