Vado SL Rack Question

Drozdster

Hi,

I am considering the non-equipped Vado SL and had a question about installing a rear rack. From what I read there are no bosses near the seat post to attach it to.

I currently have a Sirrus fitness bike and use the kind of rack that attaches around the seat post only. (see pic). No braces going down to the rear axle. Would this setup work on the Vado seatpost? I don't carry heavy stuff.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bike rack.jpg
    Bike rack.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 683
I just finished installing a Bontrager rack onto my Vado SL, there is a place you can screw into just above the back wheel or you can buy a seat post ring that has the connections you need. I’ll take a pic of my install for you to look at.

As I'm sure you know, that screw hole above the tire is for mounting a fender. One has to wonder if it was made to take the weight and flexing of a rack. Personally, I'd mount it to the seat post instead.

As I'm sure you know, that screw hole above the tire is for mounting a fender. One has to wonder if it was made to take the weight and flexing of a rack. Personally, I'd mount it to the seat post instead.
Sure that's not going to hurt : I thought Specialized made a Seat Post bracket for mounting rack supports : You could actually just use a longer bolt there and have teh same set up. Although I do find it disappointing they can't give you places to mount rack supports : After all they do on Como Series

yep been solid as a rock so far and have put a good amount of weight on it from my shopping. That bolt is meant for a fender but current Vado SL from the factory has their racks attached to the fender so I’m It can support the weight.

My wife wanted a rack but not fenders on her vado SL. I purchased the exact Vado SL rack (lighter than the VADO rack) from Mikes Bikes and it mounted quickly using the 4 metric screw attachment points (same thread screw as water bottle holder). I made a quick aluminum 1/8" x 1/2" home depot strip to hold the rack level. It is rock solid. The rack is very strong putting all the weight down on the stay. And the aluminum piece you make just keeps the rack from pivoting back or forward. She loves it! see pics I would have painted it black but she said she likes the way it looks.

She keeps a trunk on the rack all the time, and I mounted it in April, and here in July it's been trouble free and rock solid. We ride a lot.

Several specialized dealers said there's no way to mount the rack without the fenders, and they dislike that it appears the rack puts a load on the fenders. But really the rack is super strong and just would use the fenders (or your home made strip) to keep the rack from rotating away from it's correct load bearing position.

This week I finally got around to moving the built in light from the seat to the back of the rack. It was a challenging project, as the odd seat post tightener fell into the down tube, and the wires were barely long enough, but I finally got it perfect. The light is now just tucked under the back of the rack and looks perfect and professional. Very solid using nice amount of GOOP (shoe goo type stuff).

Attachments

• IMG_4319.JPEG
    IMG_4319.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_4320.JPEG
    IMG_4320.JPEG
    587.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_4322.JPEG
    IMG_4322.JPEG
    704.9 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_4323.JPEG
    IMG_4323.JPEG
    891.2 KB · Views: 1,092
Last edited:
My wife wanted a rack but not fenders on her vado SL. I purchased the exact Vado SL rack (lighter than the VADO rack) from Mikes Bikes and it mounted quickly using the 4 metric screw attachment points (same thread screw as water bottle holder). I made a quick aluminum 1/8" x 1/2" home depot strip to hold the rack level. It is rock solid. The rack is very strong putting all the weight down on the stay. And the aluminum piece you make just keeps the rack from pivoting back or forward. She loves it! see pics I would have painted it black but she said she likes the way it looks.

She keeps a trunk on the rack all the time, and I mounted it in April, and here in July it's been trouble free and rock solid. We ride a lot.

Several specialized dealers said there's no way to mount the rack without the fenders, and they dislike that it appears the rack puts a load on the fenders. But really the rack is super strong and just would use the fenders (or your home made strip) to keep the rack from rotating away from it's correct load bearing position.

This week I finally got around to moving the built in light from the seat to the back of the rack. It was a challenging project, as the odd seat post tightener fell into the down tube, and the wires were barely long enough, but I finally got it perfect. The light is now just tucked under the back of the rack and looks perfect and professional. Very solid using nice amount of GOOP (shoe goo type stuff).

My Aluminum Creo with bike rack with a "connector" much like your installed by my bike shop. I believe this rack came with that metal piece. I am still considering painting it black!
PXL_20210705_153326615.jpg

Very nice!! With a touch of paint it would look oem.

I have a Vado SL 4.0 EQ and wonder if I can swap out the 15 kg rack for a 25 kg rack. Bike shops don’t seem like they have an easy swap solution. Anyone have any experience?

Salsa makes a seat post adapter that facilitates adding a rack to a Vado SL 5. My LBS had a Topeak Explorer in stock.
Here are some pictures:
View attachment 94087View attachment 94088View attachment 94089View attachment 94090
I see you already have the range extender, which has been sold out here in Southern California for some time now. May I ask if you went with the recommended length of 220mm for the cable or did you get the 'MTB' version which is shorter?

I see you already have the range extender, which has been sold out here in Southern California for some time now. May I ask if you went with the recommended length of 220mm for the cable or did you get the 'MTB' version which is shorter?
Mine is mounted the same as his - 220mm at a minimum. That’s the correct cable for Vado SL. MTB version wouldn’t be long enough…..

Mine is mounted the same as his - 220mm at a minimum. That’s the correct cable for Vado SL. MTB version wouldn’t be long enough…..
Just using your reply as a jumping off point. I'd like to see the Range Extender with the mtb cable. Where are the bike dimensions altered to allow the shorter cable or is the socket in a different location? I know on my Creo there is no slack with the long cable.

Which rack did you choose? This setup looks the most appropriate for the Vado SL sans fenders.
Some narrow rack that the lbs had. I've got a pannier (or two depending on need) hanging - you can see it in my avatar picture. I'll see if there's a label. One of the limitations on fitting a rack to the Creo, at least, was that some of the rack models we looked at would have needed to be removed in order to unscrew the rear through-axle. The connector at the hub area would have been too wide/thick and the through-axle with the sham "quick release lever" would not be able to turn. And now having had a second flat on the rear wheel, removing a rack to remove the wheel would have been a total pain in the butt! While I have not replaced the Specialized through-axle, I have purchased replacements that only use an allen head so there'd be no interference with another type of rack.

I don't know if the "silver" strut was part of the rack package or something my shop whipped up. It has been working fine so far since March and 1,500 miles - roads but with less than perfect pavement.

Aha, the rack is an Axiom: https://www.greggscycles.com/product/axiom-streamliner-road-dlx-rack-184735-1.htm

It appears that it came with the strut. Out of stock at my shop.

Last edited:
Some narrow rack that the lbs had. I've got a pannier (or two depending on need) hanging - you can see it in my avatar picture. I'll see if there's a label. One of the limitations on fitting a rack to the Creo, at least, was that some of the rack models we looked at would have needed to be removed in order to unscrew the rear through-axle. The connector at the hub area would have been too wide/thick and the through-axle with the sham "quick release lever" would not be able to turn. And now having had a second flat on the rear wheel, removing a rack to remove the wheel would have been a total pain in the butt! While I have not replaced the Specialized through-axle, I have purchased replacements that only use an allen head so there'd be no interference with another type of rack.

I don't know if the "silver" strut was part of the rack package or something my shop whipped up. It has been working fine so far since March and 1,500 miles - roads but with less than perfect pavement.

Aha, the rack is an Axiom: https://www.greggscycles.com/product/axiom-streamliner-road-dlx-rack-184735-1.htm

It appears that it came with the strut. Out of stock at my shop.

Ah, I'm just now seeing the lower mounts are designed for quick release bikes... so that one doesn't work for me. Thanks for responding though!

Back