Vado SL 5.0 saddle isn't comfortable

John in CA

Region
USA
City
Berkeley, CA
Hi all,

After riding over 1,200 miles, I'm finding the saddle isn't comfortable for my butt. My sit bones get sore. (Otherwise, this is a perfect bike and I love every minute that I'm riding.) As you may know, the saddle has a taillight attached to it. I'm wondering if the light can easily be removed and attached to a replacement saddle--Specialized or non-Specialized. Also, any suggestions on saddles that might not be as firm as the stock Vado SL 5.0 saddle?

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

Saddles are so personal. I swapped the stock with a more padded specialized one and just bought a SELLE ANATOMICA H1 that I have yet to mount. But what really helps is sitting less lol and wearing padded riding pants or shorts.

Actually, I'm most interested to know if the Vado SL 5.0 taillight can be mounted on other seats--Specialized or non-Specialized. I wear padded pants which help.

Actually, I'm most interested to know if the Vado SL 5.0 taillight can be mounted on other seats--Specialized or non-Specialized. I wear padded pants which help.
You can mount that light on any Specialized (SWAT compatible) seat. Ask your Specialized LBS.
---------------
I'll tell you what. As I own a Vado SL 4.0 EQ (so have no issues with saddle replacement), I instantly swapped the Specialized Bridge Sport saddle with a comfortable Selle Royal Respiro Moderate (I was using it for a year). Meanwhile, I was modifying my VSL to assume as much forward "sporty" riding position as possible (it eliminated almost all my aches and hand numbness, especially with SQlab Innerbarend grips). As I'm riding in chamois shorts or bibs, I have been constantly experiencing numerous issues with my butt and perineal area. For experiment, I replaced the Respiro with the Bridge Sport... and all my rear-end issues are gone! It was such a positive shock for me I instantly replaced another Respiro with a Specialized Phenom Expert on my big Vado... to the same good effect!

I also found the saddle on the SL5 uncomfortable, after a few rides I decided to change it the saddle from one of the bikes that I now ride much less frequently, a Bontrager saddle which I find much more comfortable.

I have a box of expensive saddles I bought while trying to solve a sore seat problem. The sore seat turned out to be a poor bike fit starting with a too high seat even though it felt fine to my legs and knees. Prior to a bike fit, my seat would start to get uncomfortable after 25 miles, sore at 50 miles and I would want to be off the bike at 75 miles. This year I repeated a two day double century I had done before getting a bike fit. The difference was that after the first day of 130 miles I was tired but not sore. Second day I did not need to slowly lower myself on the seat as I had in the past. You can try to fit yourself over time, (even a blind squirrel finds some nuts), but it's easier to have a shop or physical therapist do a systematic bike fit.

I too have gone through many, many saddles. However, lately, I've felt while taking a shower that I'm beginning to build up some tough skin in that area, so just like a carpenter who gets rough callouses, maybe it just takes time.

I too have gone through many, many saddles. However, lately, I've felt while taking a shower that I'm beginning to build up some tough skin in that area, so just like a carpenter who gets rough callouses, maybe it just takes time.
I am.

The sore seat turned out to be a poor bike fit starting with a too high seat even though it felt fine to my legs and knees.
So enlightening!
Recently, I was on a 147 km ride with my ultimate Vado SL setup and Specialized Bridge Sport saddle; I stopped noticing the presence of the saddle whatsoever! Later, I noticed the saddle was "too low" by just 1.8 cm from the position best for my legs. After I rose the saddle by 1.8 cm, I started experiencing butt ache again on just a 55 km ride! Lowering the saddle back to the original position immediately!

I also found the saddle on the SL5 uncomfortable, after a few rides I decided to change it the saddle from one of the bikes that I now ride much less frequently, a Bontrager saddle which I find much more comfortable.
Howie.... which Bontrager saddle did you get? One of my local bike shops has several Bontrager choices.

Thank you for all of the replies! I have to try and find a dealer for SQLabs and Selle saddles. Then again, a different Specialized saddle on which I can mount the taillight might be the solution.

Here's a thread about how to mount a Specialized light on a non-SWAT saddle:

The SQLabs and Selle saddles look excellent, but I need to find a LBS so that I can try a saddle and return it if it doesn't work. I looked at Bontrager saddles at REI and they allow returns for any reason.

Update: I went to the LBS where I purchased my Vado SL 5.0 to look at alternate saddles. The guy there said that before spending money on a new saddle, I should try moving my current saddle back a few millimeters and tipping it down in front by 1 degree. It helped, but I think I need to move it back a little further. Based on Stefan's comment above, I may lower the saddle a little bit too.

John, I'm more and more riding with traditional gravel cyclists. The president of the club who was riding 500+ km (300+ mi) ultramarathons had inspected my Specialized Phenom Expert saddle yesterday. He said: "Man, that's a very comfortable saddle!" That saddle would be very hard for you! :)

1665283853433.png

The cycling club president, bearded and smiling at the right.

Last edited:
Back