Vado 5.0 SL - replacement tire?

KAM2005

Hello,

I am coming up to 1800 miles on my Vado and while the tires are still ok, I am researching my options.

The standard pathfinder 700x38 have been very good but apparently, they are out of stock everywhere (in the UK). I ride 90% on the road so need something similar which is fast on the roads but reasonable / decent performance off-road.

The only one I could find in 700x38 is as per attached link (https://www.merlincycles.com/panara...our-edition-tlc-folding-tyre-700c-125260.html) which look pretty good aside from the unusual colour combinations. :)

Any advice on this subject? What have other people used in place of the standard stock pathfinder?

Thank you.

I’m sure Vado owners will have plenty of options, but a few

I am in the same boat. Very curious to see what others recommend. No chance that a non-EQ version can fit a 700x45, right? I know the 700x42 would rub fenders. But without fenders, I am wondering if a 45 is a possibility.

Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 700x38C (40-622, 28x1.50") might be a good choice. The V-Guard version has better puncture protection and is proper for use of inner tube.

Since 90% of your riding is on the road I'd also recommend the Pannaracer GravelKing SS. I do a bit more gravel riding than you and just purchased a set of Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss tires for my Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3. A close second on my list, if the Pathfinders weren't available was going to be the GravelKing SS tires.

Thank you.

Initially, I probably wasn't looking at the right place. Now there are too many options to consider. :)

I ride 100% on road, so one of the first things I did after the bike purchase was to replace the stock Pathfinder tyres with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x35C (though they don't seem widely available - I found mine here: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p1034/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Supreme-HS469-folding). My reasons for this change were the low rolling resistance, puncture resistance and they are significantly quieter compared to the original Pathfinders. Very happy with these tyres, bike now rolls along beautifully - which is particularly important to me since I try to keep the motor off until faced with an incline, a head wind or knees that give out!

Thank you. So it is possible to use slightly thinner tyres on the same wheels? That is good. I will consider it as well.

Regards

Thank you. So it is possible to use slightly thinner tyres on the same wheels? That is good. I will consider it as well.

Regards
It certainly is! There are various charts around showing possible tyre size for a given wheel width and 35c is well within the acceptable range. It is still a comfortable ride even at the high end of the pressure range (80psi).

Back