Specialized Vado Turbo SL 5.0 EQ - please help confirm my choice!

Lancer X

Region
USA
City
Western NJ
Hi folks. I'm a lapsed road cyclist. A bout of back problems and iron deficiency anemia has me off the wagon and 40 pounds heavier. With these health problems behind me, I'm ready to get back into shape and out in the big blue room!

I have made the decision to go e-bike, and to use it to commute to work as often as possible. My ride is about 10 miles each way, and hilly - 735ft of climbing home, not too bad. Reason behind e-bike choice is getting to work quicker and perhaps a bit less sweaty, but still staying active.

Typical recreational/training rides in our area are about 500-1000 ft of climbing per 10 miles ridden. At least some of the ride is usually improved but unpaved trails.

I am set on a Specialized Turbo SL bike - I'm convinced that they are the current tech leaders, at least for what I'm looking for.

TL;DR Here, finally is my question: Given the riding I've described, do you agree that the Turbo Vado SL is the best type of bike for me? Or should I maybe stay with a road bike and go with the Turbo Creo SL road style platform?? I am looking primarily for ride comfort and flexibility. (Also hate that the Creo doesn't have built in lights for safety.)

I have already ordered the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ, but haven't picked it up yet. Just want to be super sure - this is a big investment. Advice welcome!!

If you can do your route on an unpowered road bike then the Vado SL is the right choice for you both for the commute and the recreation. It is an extremely good and reliable machine (my medical condition is probably worse than yours and I ride my Vado SL daily but in the flats).

Creo SL would not be ideal for commuting. It is really a road e-bike.

If you feel in a really bad shape just be aware that Vado SL is not a best climber because of its low motor power. If you need a power-horse, you should think of a full power Vado maybe.

They ain’t all that different in some ways, I think. I have a Creo and love it, but my back seems to be getting older every year and I find myself thinking about sitting up a bit more now. We’ll see.

I see that the Vado has an 11-50 cassette as opposed to the Creo’s 11-42, so that is going to help with climbing, and the whole more relaxed feel of it would probably be more commuter oriented, as Stefan says.

However, my Creo with 42mm Pathfinder Sport tires on it is pretty comfortable and just such a ball to ride… I bought the regular road version and had the shop swap out the tires.

This one is a win/win at the end. However, I love the “lapsed road cyclist” reference. Also, I see Specialized still has the $4500 sale price on the aluminum Creos (what I got last year). Pretty good deal.

with 42mm Pathfinder Sport tires on it is pretty comfortable and just such a ball to ride…
I have changed the tyres on my Vado SL to Specialized Pathfinder Pro, 38-622 (it is the maximum size for Vado SL EQ fenders) and these fast rolling and supple gravel tyres are just a dream!

If I don’t jump ship on the Creo I intend to go to the Pros when these get a little more tired, just for the ability to go tubeless. I do love these Pathfinders, though.

If you can do your route on an unpowered road bike then the Vado SL is the right choice for you both for the commute and the recreation.

If you feel in a really bad shape just be aware that Vado SL is not a best climber because of its low motor power. If you need a power-horse, you should think of a full power Vado maybe.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm simply out of shape from 6 months of sitting around sedentary due to the anemia. With a little training, I'd be able to do these routes on a non-e road bike again. But, at 53 and counting, plus wanting to make my bike commute a little faster than grinding up the big hills at 5 mph and arriving a sweaty mess, it seems like a good choice. :)

The Vado SL's lowest gear ratio is 0.88, which should be able to climb up a tree. Even though I'm not in great shape right now, it seems like the SL bikes should give me a major boost.

I do. We have a great network of gravel/hard packed dirt farm roads and bike paths around here and next door in Washington County, along the Vermont border. All sorts of riding, and no shortage of hills.

Those tires have a smooth contact patch they actually ride on, so they do surprisingly well. I can go from super smooth pavement to a nature preserve trail with no problem. I run them pretty hard at 55 - 60 psi. The Creo is easy enough to ride without the motor on that I get great range as well if I need it. The Vado SL would be the same, I suspect. A couple of other Creo folks here recommended the 42s to me, and it’s worked out very nicely.

I’ll be 72 this summer, but I’m still getting my 3000 miles in every year. Probably half on the Creo, the other on my Giant Toughroad E+ gravel bike. Love em both, but that Specialized is just next level.

The Vado SL's lowest gear ratio is 0.88, which should be able to climb up a tree. Even though I'm not in great shape right now, it seems like the SL bikes should give me a major boost.
That's correct. Yours will be the 5.0 while mine is 4.0 and I intentionally reduced the cassette to 11-36T :) With the added SL assistance... sure.

I do not know what the real range of your Vado SL would be with your hills but fortunately there still is something like Range Extender (and Range Extenders are now sold with big discount in the United States). Please report when you have got your SL and had first rides!

They ain’t all that different in some ways, I think. I have a Creo and love it, but my back seems to be getting older every year and I find myself thinking about sitting up a bit more now. We’ll see.

I see that the Vado has an 11-50 cassette as opposed to the Creo’s 11-42, so that is going to help with climbing, and the whole more relaxed feel of it would probably be more commuter oriented, as Stefan says.

However, my Creo with 42mm Pathfinder Sport tires on it is pretty comfortable and just such a ball to ride… I bought the regular road version and had the shop swap out the tires.

This one is a win/win at the end. However, I love the “lapsed road cyclist” reference. Also, I see Specialized still has the $4500 sale price on the aluminum Creos (what I got last year). Pretty good deal.

My 2021 S-works Creo has a 10-50 cassette. It doesn’t look like that’s available now, but the Evo versions have a 11-50. Of course, the Evo has a dropper seatpost and gravel handlebars, which may not be desired.

I have 42 Pathfinder Pro’s, tubeless, and have been very happy with them, aside from needing to add air before every ride. I’ve added a LOT of slime, and it helped but didn’t eliminate the loss of air. I don’t know, but maybe I have an issue that could be solved another way(?). I don’t ride a lot of gravel, but when I hit a small patch there’s no concern. As I have a medical condition that led to an internal bleeding incident after a fall (while WALKING on a trail) that’s extra important to me. These tires are awesome for my need! Sooner or later that fall may still come, but so be it. At least it won’t be because I had skinny tires. 😊 Oh, and I run them at 36-38 lbs., which probably makes me use a little more assist, but is worth it for comfort and stability.

The Vado SL is a bike for everyday use- including commuting. Creo is more geared towards work outs.
I bought a Vado SL 4.0 EQ 3-4 years ago and used it in the beginning for both commuting and workouts. Great bike but a year later I wanted to have a light bike just for the work outs. Looked at the Creo but decided eventually for a Scott eRide due to the light rear engine and te very low weight (11.8 kg).
The Scott is the Ferrari for the well paved race track (with click pedals and all the usual race bike stuff)- extremely quick but needing smooth tarmac to avoid flat tires and of course having no rack etc., while the Vado SL EQ (17 kg) is the everyday's quick bike even in rough weather. Om the racing bike the engine is mostly off as it is easy to exceeed the 25 km /h while on the Vado the engine is almost always on. I use the Vado SL more than my racing bike as it is for commuting and also work fine in winter when roads are salted, dirty and wet here in Denmark. The Scott is great for racing :) Both have their use case but if you only have one bike for both commuting and work out, the Vado SL is an excellent choice. We have of course not so many hills here in Denmark - but the wind here on the coast makes an e-bike a good investment.

I live in Medellin Colombia. Its a fabulous place to ride a bike or ebike. As a 73 year old I decided that the 20% grades so common around here are much better done on an ebike. The problem is that the only quality ebike brand I have found available in Colombia is Specialized. And they dont bring the best current product to Colombia. I bought a Turbo Vado 4.0 about 6 weeks ago and it is a truly excellent product! However its the wrong ebike for me. I am moving from road bikes to road ebikes, and going from a 22 lb bicycle to a 65 lb ebike was a major shock! I live in a 16th floor apartment with a very small elevator. My bicycle is a snap to wheel around the apartment house hallways and elevators. My 65 pound ebike is a very tight fit in the apartment and an extremely tight fit in the elevator. And all that weight is a major pain in my butt!
I have already decided that I will be getting a much lighter ebike as soon as I can. I am thinking of purchasing a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 and bringing it back to Colombia with me as checked baggage on a flight, if thats legal.

Marquez if you think you would easily climb 20% grades with a Vado SL then you are very wrong...

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm simply out of shape from 6 months of sitting around sedentary due to the anemia. With a little training, I'd be able to do these routes on a non-e road bike again. But, at 53 and counting, plus wanting to make my bike commute a little faster than grinding up the big hills at 5 mph and arriving a sweaty mess, it seems like a good choice. :)

As they've all said you'll probably be fine on either. If commuting then the ability to carry stuff on a rack means the Vado Sl might suit better. With the hills, see how you get on. If you find the power too low on the steep hills a cheap fix is to replace your front chain ring with say a 38T. That's what I have on my Vado SL. But that 50T in the back should be fine, I've now got a 46T and can climb 20/25% gradients with a bit of heavy breathing! and I find if the gradient doesn't go above say 10% the motor is fine, bike flies along. With the tyres again see how you get on with stock ones, loads of options out there, though as Stefan says if you have the Specialized fenders you will be restricted to 38s. Ive got third party ones so have Panaracer gravel kings that are 43c - great for forestry trails and the potholed lanes around here. Good luck you'll have a blast and your fitness will come back in no time.

Another thing to consider is the difference in weight. If you have to lift your bike as part of your commuting / storing the bike, the "regular" Vados are very heavy, whereas the Vado SL is more in the range of an average' bikes weight

Hi folks. I'm a lapsed road cyclist. A bout of back problems and iron deficiency anemia has me off the wagon and 40 pounds heavier. With these health problems behind me, I'm ready to get back into shape and out in the big blue room!

I have made the decision to go e-bike, and to use it to commute to work as often as possible. My ride is about 10 miles each way, and hilly - 735ft of climbing home, not too bad. Reason behind e-bike choice is getting to work quicker and perhaps a bit less sweaty, but still staying active.

Typical recreational/training rides in our area are about 500-1000 ft of climbing per 10 miles ridden. At least some of the ride is usually improved but unpaved trails.

I am set on a Specialized Turbo SL bike - I'm convinced that they are the current tech leaders, at least for what I'm looking for.

TL;DR Here, finally is my question: Given the riding I've described, do you agree that the Turbo Vado SL is the best type of bike for me? Or should I maybe stay with a road bike and go with the Turbo Creo SL road style platform?? I am looking primarily for ride comfort and flexibility. (Also hate that the Creo doesn't have built in lights for safety.)

I have already ordered the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ, but haven't picked it up yet. Just want to be super sure - this is a big investment. Advice welcome!!
I’ve had my Turbo sl 5.0 for over a year. Though we’re in SF Bay Area I don’t do many hills. It’s replaced my car for daily use. Looking back I think the 4.0 Gives a better value. The 5 may have a little better gearing for hills. If you set sport mode at 66% it really is a nice balance between speed, effort, and battery range, easily doing 20mph without much effort. The only draw back is my total fear of leaving the bike for any length of time locked up outside a shop when I’m running errons. So when the ride is going to be locked up outside for extended periods, I ride my beater bike, a 40 year old Nagashiki rust bucket. I still love steel bikes and am considering a surly preamble For daily use. Looking at Craigslist the turbo Vado sls loose there value quickly , where the surlies. loose very little. I ensure the Vado sl last year and this year for full replacement value, just in case.
I have some arthritis in my hands. The ergo grips and carbon fork do a good job of smoothing out the ride. Future shock in the stem is overkill. The tire width is good for occasional loose gravel but don’t think the bike is designed to be a gravel bike. Regardless it’s a hoot and Im sure you’ll enjoy it.

Thank you for sharing your views Geaser!
Future shock in the stem is overkill.
I cannot agree to that. Vado SL 4.0 is so stiff that any form of front suspension is gladly welcome (I had to install Redshift ShockStop stem to really enjoy my Vado SL 4.0).

The tire width is good for occasional loose gravel but don’t think the bike is designed to be a gravel bike.
After several mods I did to my Vado SL 4.0, I use it on gravel cycling group rides. It only misses the drop handlebars :)

Hi folks - appreciate all of your advice!

I should have jumped in a while ago, but FYI, I did purchase the 5.0 Vado SL. I am very happy with this bike - pretty much ideal for my needs.

For those still shopping, keep in mind that Specialized's range numbers are based on a full battery. Seeing as the software now only charges the battery to 80%, you need to factor that in.

For example, I am commuting 20 miles round trip. 500+ ft of climbing to, and 1000+ feet from work. The battery can't quite make it both ways in Turbo mode. I am now keeping a charger at work. (I have two herniated discs, so taking it very easy as I recover and get back in shape. I'm sure I'll lower my assistance to Sport at some point to get more battery life.)

For example, I am commuting 20 miles round trip. 500+ ft of climbing to, and 1000+ feet from work.
I'd say the range in Turbo would be up to 22 miles on the flat so your observations are correct!
Besides, you probably can switch the "80% charging" off?

Back