V brake ok on an ebike?

Hi all! We just bought a nice Bosch powered Electra Townie for my husband and now it is time for me to get a bike too. I am looking at a standard townie that I will convert. The bike comes with linear pull brakes. Are those ok, or do we need to upgrade them? If so, any suggestions? Thanks!!!!
I put 2,000 miles on my Trek with the standard center pull with absolutely no issue whatsoever !
I mean if the wheels skid to a stop you can't do ANY better than that, (unless they invent anti lock for ebikes).
That being said I don't try to ride in the rain, thou it has happened, I definitely avoid puddles as well.
If forced into a puddle I run the brakes lightly to quickly dry them out.
With a little attention to the water situation, I don't ever plan to upgrade to disks !

I see disks as an added complexity and cost !

prefer to leave the bicycle components to a professional.
I’m becoming less able to wrench and for some repairs I now do the same thing. Work is slow for the LBS I use a nd even slower with few bikes for sale. They’re really very fair at pricing and very fast at quality repairs, one scratch build revealed just how complex some aspects can be. Time to play, not work.

I’m becoming less able to wrench and for some repairs I now do the same thing. Work is slow for the LBS I use a nd even slower with few bikes for sale. They’re really very fair at pricing and very fast at quality repairs, one scratch build revealed just how complex some aspects can be. Time to play, not work.
One of my semi-local bike shops is going out of business( 35+ miles) wasnt open on Friday when I stopped there on the other hand the other"SLBS" (50 miles)is thriving fair repair prices, stocking specialized and Aventon bikes, they are quite pleased with the Aventon bikes.
My take on bike shops in these small town semi-urban areas is, it has to be a labor of love, lack of MTB trails has hurt bikes sales as well finally some old RR beds are being converted to hiking and biking, strangely enough no EBs od any flavor, on the other hand the most destructive things"Horses" are allowed, go figure.
I have all but given up on getting the "Forest service" to create MTB trails( no interest whatsoever) sure you can ride EBs on gravel and muck roads that allow motorized vehicles, duck the Bear Hunters and motorcycles{ strange definitions of motorized vehicles)

I first used and posted about these ebike pads in 2016. Evaluation samples, and bought more over the years. High mileage riders might be dissapointed in rim wear. They are an improvement, but the Salmon MTB, labeled “for wet conditions”,
pads are nearly as good. I mean REALLY close. But I’m slowed down. My new trike will be Magura 4 piston and regen braking. A complete shift in thinking. But it’ll be a big lumbering ride. Lots of inertia.
kool stop mtb brake pads - Google Search.png

Last edited:
Most conversion kits use brake activate switches to kill motor. Which will typically be cable activated. If you want to go hydraulic Magura do brake levers with switches. For disks the frame and fork needs mounting points, which most do these days. The hubs will also need mounts for rotor which isn't likely on bike with rim brakes. Magura do some excellent rim hydraulic brakes which should be easy retrofit.

Or, the author meant that the replacement brake levers with kits are typically cable activated. Not hydraulic. Thus one would want to get hydraulic brakes with switches to match the kit.

Most conversion kits use brake activate switches to kill motor. Which will typically be cable activated.
That would make more sense, but not clear that's what he intended when you read the preceding sentence.

Or, the author meant that the replacement brake levers with kits are typically cable activated. Not hydraulic. Thus one would want to get hydraulic brakes with switches to match the kit.
The switches are NOT cable activated. BOTH are switches in the levers. FWIW

Another thing to consider is adding travel agents to your brake cables

Attachments

• 20190221_PRO_Travel_Agent_Instructions_154651_PW_05.jpg
    20190221_PRO_Travel_Agent_Instructions_154651_PW_05.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 168
Another thing to consider is adding travel agents to your brake cables
The TAs are indeed a great addition if someone was upgrading from something like road type brake levers to use with the V brakes. If a bike already has the appropriate levers in conjunction with the V brakes they wouldn't be needed ... although I have heard of folks with smaller hands or those with compromised hand strength who have added the TAs to their existing v brakes to help with braking strength.

The TAs are indeed a great addition if someone was upgrading from something like road type brake levers to use with the V brakes. If a bike already has the appropriate levers in conjunction with the V brakes they wouldn't be needed ... although I have heard of folks with smaller hands or those with compromised hand strength who have added the TAs to their existing v brakes to help with braking strength.
Huh, You learn something new every day !
I have never even heard of TA s before....still don't know what they do, even after reading instructions !

Huh, You learn something new every day !
I have never even heard of TA s before....still don't know what they do, even after reading instructions !
They increase the amount of cable pulled by a little bit when the brake lever is initially pulled. So less pull on the lever creates a bit more leverage at the brake itself.

Are TAs boosters? I have never grabbed any bike that I couldn't peg the levers, I do know for some reason some people have a poor grip", on another note have there ever been a bike brake like some of the Minibikes had? ( a physical linkage that pushed a metal shoe against the rear tire? these things were very bulletproof)

Are TAs boosters? ...
Define "booster". I ask because I've read different descriptions of brake boosters.

The TAs don't change the total amount of cable pulled by the lever, it just becomes non linear. With the TA's cam setup the first part of the lever travel pulls a different amount of cable than the latter part of the lever's travel, but by the time you've pulled the lever all the way you've gotten the same amount of brake pad movement as you would have without the TAs.

All the descriptions indicate their purpose is to “fix” incompatible levers pull. No?

Define "booster". I ask because I've read different descriptions of brake boosters.

The TAs don't change the total amount of cable pulled by the lever, it just becomes non linear. With the TA's cam setup the first part of the lever travel pulls a different amount of cable than the latter part of the lever's travel, but by the time you've pulled the lever all the way you've gotten the same amount of brake pad movement as you would have without the TAs.
A spring system would probably be a "Booster" what you are describing sounds a little like a compound bow, the cam would probably increase the leverage at some point.

All the descriptions indicate their purpose is to “fix” incompatible levers pull. No?
That's what I use them for. 9 spd Shimano 105 road levers with V brakes (I think they're Nashbars) on my road/gravel ebike. It's not like these levers don't work at all, it's just that the braking force seems better with the TAs in place.

Back