Urban Plus Tranzx battery reverse engineering

MichaelW2

We all know the problem with proprietary systems, so lets try and reverse engineer them! My Urban plus battery is showing it's age. A few things should be explained first:
  1. On the urban plus, the bike can be started with the battery, OR the Kobi system through the button or the smartphone
    1. This should mean it's asynchronous? either may start the bike, 2 way communication?
  2. The bike sometimes shows a charging error : "abnormal charging"
  3. The bike will not work with any battery (I have tried with an ebay special 48V battery)
  4. The bike sometimes looses assist if you stop pedaling during a ride, then you have to pedal for a very long time for the assist to come back again.
The above being said, I have started by just using a logic analyzer on the two serial communication terminals on the output of the battery. Here's my results so far:
Screen Shot 05-07-20 at 01.09 AM.PNG
hex.PNG
bin.PNG
asc II.PNG

So far all I think I know is that it uses ASCII/HEX ???

next I have to capture data between the battery and the bike, while the bike is working.

It seems if I can duplicate the signals between the two with my own battery, the bike should work like, forever! The mid drive is a good unit, with a few quicks, mostly due to the battery I think.

Anybody know about hacking/reverse engineering?

I gave up on my urban plus. I get the no battery found on my cobi. Anyone looking for parts ie. Battery motor, ext. Email me at [email protected]. i am in Hawaii. Make offer plus shipping.

Has anyone of you tried contacting Alta maybe to get your battery replaced? They are the ones who supposedly support Haibike in N. America. I've got a Tanzx motor on my Urban Plus that no longer works and still is under warranty however, Alta seem to have an issue shipping anything to Canada which is absurd. Thought maybe you guys may have better luck in the U.S.

Is your battery bad or your tranzx motor? I cant find a battery for the urban plus. I may be parting mine out soon.

It's my tranzx motor that went bad. You could try contacting Alta to see if they can ship you a battery but if you're not having much luck and parting yours out I would be interested in your motor. Sent you an email but again I would try calling Alta directly first before parting.

The "No Battery" Status is in the Cobi device and not the code, I have downloaded the code and seeing if maybe it would respond to another bluetooth device bypassing the Cobi hardware

It's my tranzx motor that went bad. You could try contacting Alta to see if they can ship you a battery but if you're not having much luck and parting yours out I would be interested in your motor. Sent you an email but again I would try calling Alta directly first before parting.
Hi Khaled, did you resolve your motor issue, will you be interested in selling me your battery (ship to USA).

Back