Unsolicited comments about your ebike lately?

And soon it will be tourists + school kids out for the summer. Quadruple YUCK as far as cycling and beaches go. Both groups put a lot of irresponsible riders on our roads, bikeways, and trails. The tourists seem to leave all situational awareness at home.
Might be a good idea to check how high you wear your pants. And if you ever have the urge to say 'you kids get off my lawn' you know its time to take steps. Buy a skateboard or something.

:D

Buy a skateboard or something.

:D

Get one with a motor !! They're funner !! And they blow up real good too !! 😂

Screenshot_20240411-122625_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Get one with a motor !! They're funner !! And they blow up real good too !! 😂

View attachment 173894
I know a kid with a hover board. He tried to get me to ride it but I told him nope. He's like "Why, don't wanna fall on you butt?" and I was like "I don't wanna look like a fruit." So he gets mad because I called him "fruity" and he went to the local skate park on it afterwards. The skaters called him much worse than fruity!

I thought those hover boards were dumb the minute I saw them. Little kids are ok on one but no one over 14 should ride one and not expect abuse from skaters or bmx riders.

In the beginning people used to make lots of negative remarks on my electrics. That was when there were few ebikes. Now they far outnumber non electrics and nobody comments anymore. The non ebike riders today tend to be old school hard core dyed in the wool Lycra clad riders. They ride mostly on special rides where we bikers tend to ride much more frequently just on a whim for short casual entertainment sight seeing rides. Yes they tend to be older too.

Anybody cycling LA city streets back in 2014-2017?

Recently came across the Intersection episode (S5, E19) of Major Crimes, a police procedural set in LA. The plot involved an "epidemic" of bicycle-involved hit-and-runs, some intentional — kind of the ultimate negative comment from a driver. The writers clearly sympathized with the cyclists.

This episode aired in 2017. Was there any such epidemic around that time?

i've had a couple over the years, never anything too rude. from the outside, assuming you can't see all the scars, i look like i'm in perfect health. my heart condition is basically invisible. on my creo, generally a few years ago, i got a "you're too young for an e-bike," and a "nice motorcycle" and a "do you want to motor pace me?"

i think that's it. over the years i've done many of the same 30-90 mile rides on my creo, and then a very lightweight non electric road bike, and the reactions of other riders (all road cyclists) has been basically exactly the same except for those three comments that i can recall. if you're on a bike, doing most of the work yourself, riding within the accepted norms and legal limits, around here nobody is going to say s*it.

once, a tourist at a scenic vista adjacent to a moderately tough hill said "that must have been made by the same guy who put wheels on suitcases!"

I've been riding my Haibike since 2016. The first few years it gathered a fair amount of attention; most of the comments were positive, but I did get the "cheater" comment fairly often. Over the years I have seen all of the comments drop off as ebikes have gone from a rarity to common place.

I still hear the "cheater term", but now it seems to be coming from class-1 Ebike riders, and is directed at the non-class throttle users.

Funniest was a comment made last year by a middle aged female spandexer, riding a conventional MTB on a rail trail. She accused me of damaging the trail surface by spinning my tires and doing wheel stands with my e-bike! 😄

Wasn't worth replying to someone that out of touch with what an e-bike is.

Funniest was a comment made last year by a middle aged female spandexer, riding a conventional MTB on a rail trail. She accused me of damaging the trail surface by spinning my tires and doing wheel stands with my e-bike! 😄

Wasn't worth replying to someone that out of touch with what an e-bike is.
Of course, she shouldn't lump all ebikes or their riders together, but I get where she's coming from. We have a fair number of male teens and preteens on Surron-like machines here. And that's exactly what they do on trails, often in packs. Even on nature preserve and other trails where they've already succeeded in getting ALL ebikes banned. Even with conspicuous signage to that effect everywhere.

If she mainly rides more difficult trails, those Surrons may be the only easily recognizable ebikes she usually encounters.

For many of these kids, wheelies seem to be the normal mode of travel — even through highly congested traffic areas. They greet each other with wheelies. Very fond of donuts on dirt, too. They tear down bike lanes and MUPs at insane speeds. If they have helmets along, they're usually on the bikes, not on their heads.

These aren't exaggerations. They're pretty common sights here. And seeing that, hard to imagine why any parent would buy a 14 year-old male a Surron-like ebike and let them loose on the world.

But easy to see how these machines and riders shape public opinion and threaten our access.

Last edited:
Of course, she shouldn't lump all ebikes or their riders together, but I get where she's coming from. We have a fair number of male teens and preteens on Surron-like machines here. And that's exactly what they do on trails, often in packs. Even on nature preserve and other trails where they've already succeeded in getting ALL ebikes banned. Even with conspicuous signage to that effect everywhere.

If she mainly rides more difficult trails, those Surrons may be the only easily recognizable ebikes she usually encounters.

For many of these kids, wheelies seem to be the normal mode of travel — even through highly congested traffic areas. They greet each other with wheelies. Very fond of donuts on dirt, too. They tear down bike lanes and MUPs at insane speeds. If they have helmets along, they're usually on the bikes, not on their heads.

These aren't exaggerations. They're pretty common sights here. And seeing that, hard to imagine why any parent would buy a 14 year-old male a Surron-like ebike and let them loose on the world.

But easy to see how these machines and riders shape public opinion and threaten our access.

i mean … the first line of the website copy is “you can ride anywhere” 😂😂😂

IMG_3814.jpeg

i realize that’s probably not what they mean - they mean dirt, sand, etc, but really they are not bikes. they’re light motorcycles, dirt bikes, mopeds, whatever. looks like a fun machine but not on bike lanes, trails, etc please! i think we may have enough enforcement around here that it’s not an issue on trails - i’ve never seen one.

... but really they are not bikes. they’re light motorcycles, dirt bikes, mopeds, whatever. looks like a fun machine but not on bike lanes, trails, etc please! i think we may have enough enforcement around here that it’s not an issue on trails - i’ve never seen one.
They seem to be becoming popular here with local kids. A few days ago I saw three of them pulled up to a stoplight. Before that I have seen singles rolling around here and there enough that they are not what I would consider to be rare. So far nobody seems to be caring, probably because they are on the street and not on the bike paths, and I'm not seeing them go inordinately fast.

i mean … the first line of the website copy is “you can ride anywhere” 😂😂😂

View attachment 174073

i realize that’s probably not what they mean - they mean dirt, sand, etc, but really they are not bikes. they’re light motorcycles, dirt bikes, mopeds, whatever. looks like a fun machine but not on bike lanes, trails, etc please! i think we may have enough enforcement around here that it’s not an issue on trails - i’ve never seen one.
Very popular around here. I see a bunch every day. IMO if you have a vehicle that does 45 mph out of the box, and 80 with some quick mods then it’s not a bicycle. Correct me if I’m wrong!

That advertising copy is very deliberate. Not sure what the problem with registration is. Everyone with two wheeled gas vehicle registers it for the road.

Very popular around here. I see a bunch every day. IMO if you have a vehicle that does 45 mph out of the box, and 80 with some quick mods then it’s not a bicycle. Correct me if I’m wrong!

That advertising copy is very deliberate. Not sure what the problem with registration is. Everyone with two wheeled gas vehicle registers it for the road.
Unfortunately, it all comes down to enforcement, and our local enforcement agencies are chronically understaffed and underfunded. In 1.5 years here, I've seen lots of citable riding but not one cyclist pulled over. Anywhere.

From the complete abandon I observe on these thinly disguised e-dirt bikes — from laws, trail rules, common courtesy, and just plain common sense — I think most of their buddies would have to get heavy fines or worse before the lesson would even begin to sink in. And I see zero chance of that much enforcement.

A friend made the comment to me “So how much do you have in those two ebikes? And then showed me a news article about BYD’s electric car lineup and pointed out I could be riding in an air conditioned e-car for the same price.

@DaveMatthews Last fall on a local country ride I noticed riders, strong, fairly young coming up on me…I didn’t make it easy for them…but youth will be served. The passing last rider (barely breathing hard) said “That looks like fun.” I responded to his back “For an old guy.” He looked back and said “you’re out here…ain’t it great.”

Back