Unsolicited comments about your ebike lately?

So, de facto, it's the Wild West out here — neither an effective class system nor any visible discouragement of irresponsible riding.
I'm in Vermont which is also generally laid back, for better or worse, when it comes to compliance violations. I have a good friend in your neck of the woods so I have a sense of your area as well. In any case, as far as I know, there are no e-bike class restrictions on the rail trails here, at least not yet.

On the other hand, there is a popular recreational trail across the state line in Massachusetts that I'm told enforces the "no class 2 e-bike" rule. I can't report that first hand though, but I did ask my bike mechanic to see if he could feasibly remove the throttle from my Evelo Omega so I could ride there without being hassled. (My other e-bike, a Priority Current, doesn't have one, and I never use the throttle on the Omega anyway). I still think it's a fools errand to ticket someone riding responsibly regardless. I see plenty of speedsters on analog racing bikes. Are they less of a menace without the motor?

I still think it's a fools errand to ticket someone riding responsibly regardless. I see plenty of speedsters on analog racing bikes. Are they less of a menace without the motor?
Agree. Ebike riders have no monopoly on rude or reckless riding.

With a 175 lb rider, a 70 lb ebike has 26% more kinetic energy and linear momentum than a 20 lb analog racing bike at the same speed. But both can be lethal if they hit you full on at 20 mph. And an unsuspecting pedestrian can sustain a lethal head injury just by getting knocked to the ground.

The ebike will also have a greater stopping distance with the same brakes and tire grip. But that one's harder to call, as skinny road bike tires carrying less weight might well be more likely to lose traction under hard braking than a typical ebike tire.

So for all practical purposes, no less a menace.

Last edited:
The cheap & simple solution is a proliferation of ebike regulations, which are observed only by law abiding citizens and largely ignored by the idiots. This only serves to make the problem worse.

FWIW, I did see an ebiker cited at a trailhead last summer. He was riding a class 2 bike on a class 1 only trail. He foolishly tooled into the parking lot using throttle only, in full view of a park ranger.
To quote Homer Simpson..."DOH!!!"

I had a close encounter with an idiot on the Franconia Notch trail in New Hampshire last summer. He was on a pretty standard looking road bike (hard to tell given his speed) but flying down the fairly narrow and winding path at high speed in a zig-zag pattern that threatened anybody or anything in his path. If I reacted a half second later one or both of us would have been scraped off the trail with a spatula. As far as I know though, there is nothing in the criminal code for "being an idiot". Too bad.

If I reacted a half second later one or both of us would have been scraped off the trail with a spatula.

20240418_094603.jpg

Geez, I have to carry an emergency spatula now too??

Last edited:
Nobody seems to pay any attention to class restrictions
The problem is when someone is injured and there is an investigation. I really have no need to go over 24. My town is four square miles. At 12 mph I can travel 3 miles in 15 minutes or 2 miles in 10 minutes. That is still faster than in a car because they have traffic, lights, and parking. Basically I can do whatever I need within 10 or 15 minutes. Crashing at 20 is like falling from a first story window ledge. A crash at 40 is like falling four stories. I say, If you want to ride in a bike lane, bike path, or multi-use path, use a legal bike.

To quote Homer Simpson..."DOH!!!"

I had a close encounter with an idiot on the Franconia Notch trail in New Hampshire last summer. He was on a pretty standard looking road bike (hard to tell given his speed) but flying down the fairly narrow and winding path at high speed in a zig-zag pattern that threatened anybody or anything in his path. If I reacted a half second later one or both of us would have been scraped off the trail with a spatula. As far as I know though, there is nothing in the criminal code for "being an idiot". Too bad.
If that were the case we could all live by one commandment, 'Don't be an idiot'.
1713462399431.jpeg

I haven't gotten any snarky remarks since I stopped passing the Lance wannabe crowd! After I thought about it, I would've been PO'd too back when I was younger and riding to train for a race or event. Now I just take a different route when I see a paceline in front of me. The rest of the people I see are my age, and I see more of them going electric every day.

Around here most group riders are normally aspirated. And on the cross town trails, about 1:3 is electric.

It's been my experience that the spandex racing crowd was just as obnoxious to me back when I was an old guy riding my conventional bike. They would yell "Out of the way", as they approached at 25+ mph. Now, I'm an even older guy riding an ebike, and they still yell, but I can't hear them. 😄

Last edited:
want a tow
I got towed once. I went on a hilly and windy 30 mile spur of the moment ride with a friend, without a fully charged battery on a three-speed bike. I was down to the last bar at the final large climb, so I attached a 12 foot 1/4 inch bungee to my buddies bike. What was good is that the bungee took out any shock. I was able to make the final 11 miles with power. Normally for a ride like that I would take a bike with a wide range of gears and a larger, fully charged battery. I learn best when I screw up. My friend reminds me of it often.
Beautiful Ride!

Tell your friends that you're just taking full advantage of the way the human brain's been wired to learn.

The most important things in life I've learned from my dogs — the rest, by screwing up.
So you're one of the rare few who can actually reach?!?!

This is way off topic, so excuse my screw up here, but what marketing professional would name a scooter tire 'JUNK A.I.'? I heard that Lenny Kravitz ripped his leather pants on stage exposing his junk, and that the photos were not generated by AI.

Edit: I figured it out, phonetically 'Junkai' in Chinese means quality control. You can replace the ai with and e-sound or y-sound,
1713554413514.jpeg

Last edited:
This is way off topic, so excuse my screw up here, but what marketing professional would name a scooter tire 'JUNK A.I.'? I heard that Lenny Kravitz ripped his leather pants on stage exposing his junk, and that the photos were not generated by AI.
View attachment 174322
The same guy who named the source of the counter-rotating RC boat props I once ordered from China:

Fuming Industrial Center.

Last edited:
There is no question that personal accountability is the answer, and effective enforcement is the key.

There is already a police presence on roads & highways, that does a fair job of enforcing motor vehicle laws. These same officers are capable of enforcing ebike regulations as well, but just seem to ignore violations.

Enforcement on MUP's and trails is a different story. For the most part, Park rangers & police, patrol in vehicles, and are limited to parking lots and trailheads. Putting LEO's on the trails is an expense that most jurisdictions can't afford. The cheap & simple solution is a proliferation of ebike regulations, which are observed only by law abiding citizens and largely ignored by the idiots. This only serves to make the problem worse.

FWIW, I did see an ebiker cited at a trailhead last summer. He was riding a class 2 bike on a class 1 only trail. He foolishly tooled into the parking lot using throttle only, in full view of a park ranger.
dont worry the vigilantes will come,"your cheating", is the first phase,i knew rangers that loved to write tickets.

Back