Unlocking the Stealth Bomber Competition Mode

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Recently a few people commented on the review of the Stealth Bomber I did asking how to get into competition mode (to make the bike go faster than 20mph) and initially I suggested just using the Cycle Analyst computer to switch modes. One person had just got their bike recently and lives in Canada and was unable to find an option like this with their bike.

I dug a little bit deeper and it sounds like some of the newer models are limited and require a physical change in order to unlock the higher speeds. This is what I found:

Apparently newer models have a governed controller... When you look at the underside of the speed controller there is a red or black wire that comes out and then goes right back in. It's about the length of the controller and in order to unlock the higher speeds this connection needs to be broken. You can add an inline switch here to make it easy to go back and forth. This may void your warranty and is only an observation, not a recommendation.

If anyone else could confirm this or add their experience and pictures to help others out that would be great. I'm curious how it works and would like to know more about the backstory on why they switched from allowing higher speeds just using the LCD computer and now have it hard wired in. Just like fancy cars, it's up to the rider to obey speed limits or take it to a track and let her fly. In the case of the Stealth ebikes, it's up to the rider to ride responsibly but maybe there was pressure on the company to make it harder for riders to go fast based on some legal situation or something?

Ok, so I checked mine and its got a red wire. Installing a switch would be real nice to have and be a snap to install...
I wonder what kind of switch Stealth Bikes would install at the factory if such a feature were available on the Bomber?

Chuck

Yes, it's a red wire that needs to be clipped. Regarding the switch, I haven't heard of anyone adding, but it shouldn't be an issue. You could probably even use a standard butt connector. Apparently the new models will have a new version 3 cycle analyst programmed specifically for them that should make it easier to adjust the power output. We'll be getting a Hurricane and a Bomber in the next couple of weeks and I can take some pics and we plan to make some videos.

I just happened to have the battery out...

stealth-bomber-competition-mode-wire.jpg

Awesome shot! Thank you so much Chuck. So it sounds like that red wire that goes out and then back into the speed controller is what unlocks competition mode and the higher speeds on the Stealth electric bikes.

Awesome shot! Thank you so much Chuck. So it sounds like that red wire that goes out and then back into the speed controller is what unlocks competition mode and the higher speeds on the Stealth electric bikes.
That's correct Court, it limits it to 750W and 20mph, clip the wire and the 4.5Kw is unlocked along with a top speed of 50mph.

I would like to have it on a second position with the key ignition. If an enforcement officer gave you guff, you could offer him to try it, so he could see how tame this e- bike is for himself.

For simplicity's sake, I will probably buy a simple waterproof auto fuse receptical, run out and zip-tied together with the brake and throttle cables, so when I want it off-road, I can pull the fuse.

Very nice. Looks like it will interfere with the forks though. maybe above the charge receptical?

I would push it back a bit and put it on either side. It might be better if you put it on the same side as the charge receptical. I've never installed something like this, but in theory it will work. I think it would be good to have.

I was looking at another switch, low profile 6 mm thick. Just gotta find a black one... same diameter of charger receptical and should look pretty stealthy.

Yeah I was thinking of a rocker a few days back, but could be tripped to easily. Leaning toward a low profile push button. Also thought it could be functional to have a slide switch on the handlebar.

Cool, thanks for the help Chris! That first button looks good because it's more water resistant.

Chuck, if you find a switch that works and end up with it installed I'd love to hear what you use and see what it looks like all together. I'm sure this is something a few people are trying to figure out but it can be nerve wracking experimenting on your own. Thanks again for the image of the wires and stuff ;)

Firstly, it cannot be a momentary switch, as they are typically used as ignition starter buttons. I need a switch that stays on or off, and allot of the ones I see have LED lights, and I don't want that. It will likely take a while before I find a suitable switch. I am going to prewire the fuse until then. I do not want to put a hole in my machine until absolutely satisfied.

First I found a remote fuse and soldered to a couple extensions, shrink wrapped and zip-tied into place at the top crown, where there is ample anchor points for zip ties. I am leaving ample wire for my future switch install...

stealth-electric-bike-speed-mod.jpg remote-fuse-stealth-ebike-speed-boost.jpg

Recently a few people commented on the review of the Stealth Bomber I did asking how to get into competition mode (to make the bike go faster than 20mph) and initially I suggested just using the Cycle Analyst computer to switch modes. One person had just got their bike recently and lives in Canada and was unable to find an option like this with their bike.

I dug a little bit deeper and it sounds like some of the newer models are limited and require a physical change in order to unlock the higher speeds. This is what I found:

If anyone else could confirm this or add their experience and pictures to help others out that would be great. I'm curious how it works and would like to know more about the backstory on why they switched from allowing higher speeds just using the LCD computer and now have it hard wired in. Just like fancy cars, it's up to the rider to obey speed limits or take it to a track and let her fly. In the case of the Stealth ebikes, it's up to the rider to ride responsibly but maybe there was pressure on the company to make it harder for riders to go fast based on some legal situation or something?

Hello to everyone with a Stealth Bomber! I picked up #361 last weekend but Mother Nature is not letting up with the snow and winter here in Canada. I spent many hours trying to get the answer to unlocking the Competition Mode and thanks to you folks I have my answer. I think installing a switch is a great idea and will do so on mine.

Awesome! I'm so glad this helped you out Brian, post some pics or videos if you end up jumping yours or doing mods and stuff :D

Awesome! I'm so glad this helped you out Brian, post some pics or videos if you end up jumping yours or doing mods and stuff :D

I'm starting to wonder if anyone really knows how to properly use the Cycle Analyst on the Bomber. I received no instruction from my dealer when I picked the bike up. I have NOT snipped the wire (yet) and have been over 53 kph which is a pretty decent clip. Once I'm really comfortable on the bike I'll snip the wire and add a concealed "turbo boost" button. The few kms I've ridden so far have been very impressive!

Sounds like you're really enjoying the bike Brian! Maybe you can get more info on the Cycle Analyst from their official website? You guys are all pretty brave for doing a mod like this to such an expensive bike but it sounds like it's working :rolleyes:

Back