U-Lock for SDURO Trekking

kiltym

Anyone have a good recommendation for a U-Lock that will accommodate this bike well?

Ideally can lock the frame and back wheel to a post.

I was looking at the Kryptonite Mini-7, it has an interior size of 3.25" x 7". Is this adequate to lock the frame/rear wheel/post? Seems it might be small for our bike.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Mini locks are slightly more secure because they are less prone to leveraging attacks, but are also more difficult to use because you are more limited for what and where you can lock the frame or wheel to a post. I think it is better to get a standard size U-lock and a cable for the front wheel. Better yet are the folding style locks such as the Abus Bordo line.

Definitely the Bordo style folding locks are ideal for compact and on the frame mounting. I'd go with one of those for most uses. The Abus folding locks come with a case that can mount to bottle cage bosses with screws or mount with velcro to other points on the frame. I carry a cable for cabling the front wheel. On one bike I installed security bolts on the seat clamp and saddle (Fortified Bike for the saddle bolts and Specialized for the security seat clamp) so I usually don't cable the saddle. On the other bike, I only have the security seat clamp so I usually cable the saddle and front wheel (carry 2 cables). This is when parked at work but I don't usually bother with the cables for quick stops such as the grocery store or coffee shop. I have multiple locks for different uses/places. I keep one of the larger Abus u-locks at work. When I arrive at work I lock with the Abus folding lock and then go up to my office for the u-lock. I'll take the u-lock off the bike 30 minutes or so before departing for the day. For most of the day, my bikes while I am at work will be locked with two locks and cables for the front wheel and saddle (depending on which bike I have). The u-lock is pretty heavy so I usually leave it at the office. I've been intending to order some more security bolts from Fortified Bike for my other bike but just haven't got around to it.

Definitely the Bordo style folding locks are ideal for compact and on the frame mounting. I'd go with one of those for most uses. The Abus folding locks come with a case that can mount to bottle cage bosses with screws or mount with velcro to other points on the frame. I carry a cable for cabling the front wheel. On one bike I installed security bolts on the seat clamp and saddle (Fortified Bike for the saddle bolts and Specialized for the security seat clamp) so I usually don't cable the saddle. On the other bike, I only have the security seat clamp so I usually cable the saddle and front wheel (carry 2 cables). This is when parked at work but I don't usually bother with the cables for quick stops such as the grocery store or coffee shop. I have multiple locks for different uses/places. I keep one of the larger Abus u-locks at work. When I arrive at work I lock with the Abus folding lock and then go up to my office for the u-lock. I'll take the u-lock off the bike 30 minutes or so before departing for the day. For most of the day, my bikes while I am at work will be locked with two locks and cables for the front wheel and saddle (depending on which bike I have). The u-lock is pretty heavy so I usually leave it at the office. I've been intending to order some more security bolts from Fortified Bike for my other bike but just haven't got around to it.

My 2 cents-Not sure about the Abus folding locks that can be easily broken open at the rivet weak point with much less force than perhaps a Krypto New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock. The lock penetration videos seen on YT are astounding IMHO.

My 2 cents-Not sure about the Abus folding locks that can be easily broken open at the rivet weak point with much less force than perhaps a Krypto New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock. The lock penetration videos seen on YT are astounding IMHO.

I don't know about easily broken open. I've seen the videos. Still need powerful cutters and leverage. The angle grinder defeats the u-lock. All locks can be defeated. Again, you select the security for the circumstances. Locking up in a public area during business hours and not leaving the bike for hours at a time? The stronger Bordos are probably fine in most areas. As I wrote, for quick stops in my neighborhood which is not high crime the Bordo is really convenient and offers a good level of protection. When I lock up in downtown Detroit, on the other hand, whilst I'm at work, its the Bordo and an Abus Granite X-Plus with cables. Different locks, different circumstances. I guess if you can only afford or only want one lock then best to buy the highest security possible. Even if that means lugging a boat anchor for all trips.

I don't know about easily broken open. I've seen the videos. Still need powerful cutters and leverage. The angle grinder defeats the u-lock. All locks can be defeated. Again, you select the security for the circumstances. Locking up in a public area during business hours and not leaving the bike for hours at a time? The stronger Bordos are probably fine in most areas. As I wrote, for quick stops in my neighborhood which is not high crime the Bordo is really convenient and offers a good level of protection. When I lock up in downtown Detroit, on the other hand, whilst I'm at work, its the Bordo and an Abus Granite X-Plus with cables. Different locks, different circumstances. I guess if you can only afford or only want one lock then best to buy the highest security possible. Even if that means lugging a boat anchor for all trips.

'The angle grinder defeats the u-lock' or just about any bicycle lock. Perhaps you may have not seen the same videos-those rivets snapped off and became a projectile with great force. It's all about leverage and pressure and it is broken without any special expertise IMO.

In case you missed it, Court did an in depth look at some of the current lock & security options which I think you will find full of good info. As for the angle grinder: come on folks; those make a LOT of noise, nothing secretive about a grinder nor fast in most cases. So I feel that a combination of U-Locks, Folding Locks & cable can be very effective. If you're locking your ebike in a really questionable area you will need to use multiple levels of locks as Chris at Propel Bikes mentions in the lock video.

Only you will know what level of security you need. Please don't obsess to the point that riding somewhere becomes fearful. Remember, there are several ebike insurance policies available now that would also help protect your investment and reduce a bit of the anxiety.

'The angle grinder defeats the u-lock' or just about any bicycle lock. Perhaps you may have not seen the same videos-those rivets snapped off and became a projectile with great force. It's all about leverage and pressure and it is broken without any special expertise IMO.
I think many of us that own the Abus Bordo own the Granit X Plus 6500. There are videos on YouTube where some Bordo locks have been defeated, but it took nearly a decade until very recently the 6500 was and it was done in a big bench vise in a shop, using serious leverage. Enough to move the vise. A bike frame would be damaged badly under that kind of pressure, if you could get that kind of leverage on a free standing lock. The 6500 is very big, big rivets! Look at one the next time at the LBS. I own Kryptonite U-locks and prefer using my Bordo.

FYI-I had to watch the YT video with the nut splitter breaking through the Bordo Plus rivet a second time. It took less than 2 minutes! Amazing.

I think the video is somewhat misleading because not only is the lock being held in a vise, the protective coating around the link was cut away prior to using the nut splitter. So defeating the lock isn't quite as simple as it looks. That said, ultimately any lock can only deter...not prevent...theft.

FYI-I had to watch the YT video with the nut splitter breaking through the Bordo Plus rivet a second time. It took less than 2 minutes! Amazing.
Yes, in a workshop with the lock in a vise and the protective coating removed. And the next video up when I watched it was him picking the Kryptonite u-lock in about 2 minutes. After having removed the baseplate and in a very quiet shop where he could listen for and feel for the clicking of the lock. Not sure how realistic most of that is for a bike locked in a public area with foot traffic and street noise. At least for the places where I am usually locking my bike.

Good ideas here so here's my approach. I've got #2 folding locks and #2 locking cables.
I park the bike in the most visible spot and use a combination of locks to secure it.
A portable grinder makes noise, attracts attention and they'll need to spend time on two locks.
If I was really concerned, I'd place #3 or all 4 locks to slow them down and increase the difficulty.
Since a friend had her bike stolen from her backyard shed, we all know that thieves can get your property.
All you can do is slow them down, discourage them and make them obvious.
Knock on wood, that's enough deterrence.

My solution is AXA Solid plus, it combines the solid and unforgettable lock and wire protection preventing carry off thieves. The wire is long enouhg to almost always to find some spot to lock bike.
DSCN0371.JPG
DSCN0370.JPG

Back