Turbo Vado power vs Vado SL power

CodyDog

Region
USA
City
Colorado
In deciding between a Turbo Vado and an SL, I'm trying to figure out how the highest assist level in the SL compares to one of the assist levels with the regular Turbo. With my previous bike (2021 Turbo Levo Comp) I rarely used the Turbo mode. I primarily rode in Level 2 assist. With that being said, would be as simple as assuming Turbo mode on the Vado SL is equal to level 2 (medium level) on a Turbo Vado?

Thanks.

You could probably adjust the default settings to act exactly that way. Not sure what the defaults are for the Vado - but if it is 35/35 for Eco. I'd say that is a little less than the SL turbo. Sport mode default is probably more than the SL turbo. For comparison - I have a Tero with settings of 20/100, 40/100 and 100/100. Eco approximately gives mechanical assist = to my rider power while Sport gives approx double. So on steep hills (10-15%), I can climb in Eco but it requires >200 W of power from me. Sport halves that and is much easier - much easier than my SL in turbo mode on the same hill. And Turbo feels like it is pulling me up the hill and I am only pedaling to keep the assist on.

You could probably adjust the default settings to act exactly that way. Not sure what the defaults are for the Vado - but if it is 35/35 for Eco. I'd say that is a little less than the SL turbo. Sport mode default is probably more than the SL turbo. For comparison - I have a Tero with settings of 20/100, 40/100 and 100/100. Eco approximately gives mechanical assist = to my rider power while Sport gives approx double. So on steep hills (10-15%), I can climb in Eco but it requires >200 W of power from me. Sport halves that and is much easier - much easier than my SL in turbo mode on the same hill. And Turbo feels like it is pulling me up the hill and I am only pedaling to keep the assist on.
Thanks for the reply. How are you liking your Tero? Pro's and con's?That is one of the bikes I will be testing.

Last edited:
After watching this video, I've concluded that one must have both! Because every day is different, and each day might require a different ride! o_O

Mike...
That was always the problem with having too many (if there is such a thing) cross-country skis. Decisions, decisions.

I went with the Creo, but the heaviest Creo because I needed light weight. Yes, there are times more power would be really nice but then the bike would have been stolen by now since I would have failed getting it up my stairs.

Thanks for the reply. How are you liking your Tero? Pro's and con's?That is one of the bikes I will be testing.
I'm liking the bike. Was looking for something for off road that was better than the Vado SL. I had a Levo SL but found I didn't need the full suspension for the types of off road I do. I would have gotten the Tero instead of the Levo if it had been available or even announced. I've done green and blue trails on all the bikes and the lower powered SL's could be a challenge on some of the steepest grades with cadence crunching rocks or ruts that need steering around. The Tero handles those easily both because of the extra power assist as well as the bigger tires (bigger than the Vado SL anyway). Most of the time the greater power of the Tero is not needed, but it is good to have it as a bailout -particularly when trying new trails.

Downsides are the pedals and grips which I've replaced. Also added a kickstand :). I also have swapped in S-works 42 mm Pathfinders for the days I know I will only be on pavement - probably > 20+% increase in range over the stock Ground Controls. Bigger downsides are the weight and the Class 1 limitation including the 36 tooth chainring. The other downside is I think the 29er fork is too long for the bike. I've ridden a Vado 2022 with it's shorter 80mm travel and 650B wheels - and I liked the handling better. The Pathfinders are about the same diameter as the Vado's 650B 2.3 in Pathfinders and I prefer the Vado's handling.

I may or may not Peartune and change out for a larger chainring. Gonna wait til my "free" checkup/adjustments are done by Specialized in any case. I'm also researching swapping the fork for one designed for a 27.5 bike. In any case could always go with the one on the Vado - should be good with the pathfinders but unsure how it may affect the original Ground Controls. One good thing about 700C is that there are a lot of different gravel tires available and the Tero can fit them - something my Vado SL with fenders can't do.

I'm liking the bike. Was looking for something for off road that was better than the Vado SL. I had a Levo SL but found I didn't need the full suspension for the types of off road I do. I would have gotten the Tero instead of the Levo if it had been available or even announced. I've done green and blue trails on all the bikes and the lower powered SL's could be a challenge on some of the steepest grades with cadence crunching rocks or ruts that need steering around. The Tero handles those easily both because of the extra power assist as well as the bigger tires (bigger than the Vado SL anyway). Most of the time the greater power of the Tero is not needed, but it is good to have it as a bailout -particularly when trying new trails.

Downsides are the pedals and grips which I've replaced. Also added a kickstand :). I also have swapped in S-works 42 mm Pathfinders for the days I know I will only be on pavement - probably > 20+% increase in range over the stock Ground Controls. Bigger downsides are the weight and the Class 1 limitation including the 36 tooth chainring. The other downside is I think the 29er fork is too long for the bike. I've ridden a Vado 2022 with it's shorter 80mm travel and 650B wheels - and I liked the handling better. The Pathfinders are about the same diameter as the Vado's 650B 2.3 in Pathfinders and I prefer the Vado's handling.

I may or may not Peartune and change out for a larger chainring. Gonna wait til my "free" checkup/adjustments are done by Specialized in any case. I'm also researching swapping the fork for one designed for a 27.5 bike. In any case could always go with the one on the Vado - should be good with the pathfinders but unsure how it may affect the original Ground Controls. One good thing about 700C is that there are a lot of different gravel tires available and the Tero can fit them - something my Vado SL with fenders can't do.
Nubnub: Thanks for the reply.

Isn’t that approx. 105%?
he's referring to the two numbers that specialized uses in their custom power settings - the first is the percentage of the bikes "multiplication factor" that you're gettting, the second is the cap / maximum percentage of the motor's total power. so it's not 45 divided by 43, but rather 45 percent of the multiplication factor (e.g. if the factor was 10, the bike would give you an extra 4.5 times your pedaling power) up to a max of 43 percent of the total power available.

Isn’t that approx. 105%?
he's referring to the two numbers that specialized uses in their custom power settings - the first is the percentage of the bikes "multiplication factor" that you're gettting, the second is the cap / maximum percentage of the motor's total power. so it's not 45 divided by 43, but rather 45 percent of the multiplication factor (e.g. if the factor was 10, the bike would give you an extra 4.5 times your pedaling power) up to a max of 43 percent of the total power available.
It is correct what @mschwett said:
  • The leg power amplification (boost factor) of Vado SL is 1.8x while it is 4x for the latest Vado 5.0. Meaning a rider who inputs 100 W with their legs will force the SL 1.1 motor producing 180 W of mechanical assistance while the same 100 W of pedalling power will squeeze 400 W of mechanical power from the 2.2 motor at 100% of Support.
  • The maximum mechanical power the SL 1.1 motor can produce is 240 W while it is 560 W with the 2.2 drive unit.
All the figures refer to 100/100% Turbo assistance setting for both e-bikes.

It is correct what @mschwett said

Let's just not lose sight of the fact that the SL weighs just over 30lbs, while the Vado is over 50. That definitely factors in.

I like practical terms, much more than just numbers. Bear with me if I bore you!

The Vado has a lot of power. Noticeably more power than an SL. More power than most people need, unless you live in a really hilly area, and you're just looking to ride, get places, not have a fitness e-bike. Very good for older commuters for example. Then, turbo mode on a Vado is your friend. It really is wonderful in these kinds of areas. Eco on the flats, and something between Sport and Turbo on the hills.

But someone reasonably fit willing to put some of their own watts into an SL will find on most flats and rolling hills, the SL can absolutely fly in Turbo mode. I'm nearly 60 years old, am fairly fit, and can get my SL going plenty fast, often over 20mph on flats without sweating a great deal in Turbo. If I'm really working, on the flats I can zoom along close to 25mph in Turbo. I can't imagine anyone needing much more than this! It climbs okay too, just slower than a Vado, no doubt. But most people don't ride 100% of the time in Turbo on an SL. Only if you were in a hurry. I find myself in all modes, with Turbo when I want to really glide, or on hills, that's it.

Let's just not lose sight of the fact that the SL weighs just over 30lbs, while the Vado is over 50. That definitely factors in.

I like practical terms, much more than just numbers. Bear with me if I bore you!

The Vado has a lot of power. Noticeably more power than an SL. More power than most people need, unless you live in a really hilly area, and you're just looking to ride, get places, not have a fitness e-bike. Very good for older commuters for example. Then, turbo mode on a Vado is your friend. It really is wonderful in these kinds of areas. Eco on the flats, and something between Sport and Turbo on the hills.

But someone reasonably fit willing to put some of their own watts into an SL will find on most flats and rolling hills, the SL can absolutely fly in Turbo mode. I'm nearly 60 years old, am fairly fit, and can get my SL going plenty fast, often over 20mph on flats without sweating a great deal in Turbo. If I'm really working, on the flats I can zoom along close to 25mph in Turbo. I can't imagine anyone needing much more than this! It climbs okay too, just slower than a Vado, no doubt. But most people don't ride 100% of the time in Turbo on an SL. Only if you were in a hurry. I find myself in all modes, with Turbo when I want to really glide, or on hills, that's it.
Your opinion is correct for healthy riders who would do with a traditional bike, and only need assistance upwind, uphill or want to ride faster (the Class 3 version). I appreciate the low weight of the SL on the mixed terrain rides (pavement, gravel, easy off-road). However, we are not equal. As I love my Vado SL and ride it on a daily basis (and I have had a couple of Metric Centuries on it), an ailing rider as I am needs the power of the big Vado for heavy duty rides.

For instance, it is unlikely I could do the Imperial Century on a Vado SL (even if I own three Range Extenders). It is simply impossible for me to ride Vado SL in real mountains: I need the 38-46T and Turbo of my Highway Star (Vado 5.0) there. On the other hand, the big Vado is not fit for, say, forest rides as its heavy weight and design disallow fast riding there, and carrying the heavy e-bike over any obstacle is painful. Not that I didn't ride my big Vado in forests: It is simply not good for it.

The 35/35% assistance of my powerful Vado translates to 70/70% SL assistance. The powerful 50/50% Vado support means 100% SL Turbo. Go to 60/60% on Vado 5.0 and the SL is left in the dust... For my legs.

I have owned/own both. Initially I was riding the SL, and it is butter smooth with the power delivery, and relatively fast, but not as much punch as I would like. The full powered Vado 4 is just a blast. It is the best e-bike I have ever owned...its that good. Yet the SL is going to be great for anyone that just wants a little more push, but on a lighter bike. No losers here with either choice.....

I have had the pleasure of owning both also 2021 models of Vado 5.0 and Sl 4.0 they're a big difference is on how and why you ride the motor and the weight makes a difference, with the Vado I went faster but didn't get that much of workout with Sl littel slower but much more effective workout i used both in Eco mode with setting of 25 - 50 i hardly ever used the Sport 50 - 75 and never the Turbo 80 -100 these where my settings and always had plenty of battery left after my rides of 35 to 50 miles
I am not using these bikes to commute but to exercise so for me the Sl is better fit but I know I can use it to commute if I wanted to and I like that it's not as heavy of the bike just incase I need to pedal without the assistance they are both excellent bikes it was very hard to choose one over the other one

Attachments

• 20220906_065423.jpg
    20220906_065423.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 196
  • 20220904_143401.jpg
    20220904_143401.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I think it depends on how far and how often you want/need to commute, plus your fitness and weather, height profile, etc. For commuting sometimes/not too far and in hilly areas ebene a limited SL bike could be fine. Of course for daily commuting 2x20 miles more powerful ebikes can be more useful.

I couldn't cycle for two weeks due to the bad little virus. When I began again this weekend, I started (as I got used during this year) without any support and forgot about 15 minutes, that I was riding an ebike. The SL bikes ride so great and (almost) without any noticable disadvantage!

Just my latest experience:

As my Vado 5.0 is out of order now (the motor damaged, post-warranty; the structural crack of the frame, lifetime warranty) and is at Specialized for a warranty claim, my Vado SL is the only of my e-bikes I can currently use. Last Saturday, I set off for a ride together with my gravel cycling club. I did 10 km total of the commutes to the start line unpowered, with average speed of 14-16 km/h :D (The reason was to save the batteries for the club ride).

Once the ride started, I was left by the boys and girls in the dust! (I forgot to derestrict my Vado SL @jodi2) :D Once derestricted by a button push, I could follow my mates until the moment I took a wrong turn on the route and it was all over since. Yes, I could catch up with the group by a 10 km pursuit in SL Turbo mode (off-road). When I eventually reached the group tail, my ailing leg gave up and I had to leave the group ride.

1668565934390.png

The trouble began after the group restarted the ride from that point (after having repaired a flat on a group member's bike).

1668567940506.png

SL Turbo pursuit for 10 km.

1668566165152.png

I continued the solo ride on my own terms and speed. I closed the loop at 106 km, the ride including reaching the train station was 112 km, and I did 127 km on that cold day.

Riding for 112 km on Vado SL took me 5:35:51 (average speed of 20.0 km/h). The batteries' consumption was 679 Wh, and I burned 1370 kcal. While I could not match the group performance, the light weight of my Vado SL allowed me carrying my e-bike in several situations.

The other gravel group ride involved my 45 km/h Vado 5.0. I completed 104.5 km in 3:59:41 at average speed of 26.2 km/h using 802 Wh from my batteries. I burned 962 kcal on that ride.

I could successfully use my Vado SL on gravel group rides whenever the pace was defined as "recreational" and the weather was fair. However, riding with strong groups has always required the extra oomph of my powerful Vado 5.0!

Last edited:
Back