Turbo Owners -- What's your total mileage? [OFFICIAL MILEAGE THREAD]

19000km. This weekend (my bikes 2nd birthday) I am giving the bike a major overhaul including new bb, cranks, pedals and drive train. Amazingly brake pads still good as new after 17000km!

ROJA - Around 1,700 miles, but had to stop riding due to two broken Metacarpals in my right hand. The middle and ring fingers, right above the wrist...Boo!

19000km. This weekend (my bikes 2nd birthday) I am giving the bike a major overhaul including new bb, cranks, pedals and drive train. Amazingly brake pads still good as new after 17000km!
19000km! Nice work. Mine just rolled 4000 miles. I replaced the bb, cranks, chainwheels, chain, both brakes, and serviced the freehub. Running clean and quiet now, no worries at all.

What servicing did you do on the freehub @jwb ? I do have a residual weird noise coming from somewhere (sometimes) that stops if I backpedal. Still cant find it.

What servicing did you do on the freehub @jwb ? I do have a residual weird noise coming from somewhere (sometimes) that stops if I backpedal. Still cant find it.

Same symptom for me. A kind of creaking sound that disappears after backpedal and comes back after a moment. They said they lubricated the freewheel. I dunno but it’s silent now.

3,870 miles since last August with lots of days off and rides on other bikes. Love my Turbo
@ROJA I like the tyres. Haven't had a single puncture or issue with them, still plenty of tread left. There is a lot of glass and debris on our cycle lanes. I find them to be comfortable, running 40-55psi. I am running 47mm width. I had to fiddle with the mudguards a bit initially as they are taller than the stock tyres.
Compared to the Specialized 'bald' tyres they actually have less grip in the wet, I assume due to a harder compound and stiffer carcass. But I'll trade that any day for not getting punctures.
I have a Schwalbe Marathon Plus ready to go as a replacement when needed. It'll be a while! I bought in advance because they can be a bit hard to find in the right sizings. I bought mine from bike24.com in Germany.
View attachment 18527
I just mounted These same tires today, and found the rear wheel rubs agains the fastener that holds the rear fender to the frame just behind the seat post. Did you have to adjust this? And if you did, what did you do? It looks like the little spacer between the mudguard and the frame could be removed creating the needed space for the tire.

3,870 miles since last August with lots of days off and rides on other bikes. Love my Turbo

I just mounted These same tires today, and found the rear wheel rubs agains the fastener that holds the rear fender to the frame just behind the seat post. Did you have to adjust this? And if you did, what did you do? It looks like the little spacer between the mudguard and the frame could be removed creating the needed space for the tire.
John, I did fiddle around a bit with spacers and so on. I now have Almotion 50c tyres that are quite large and I have clearance. There was one part of the reinforcing strip that I ground down a bit.

ROJA - Around 1,700 miles, but had to stop riding due to two broken Metacarpals in my right hand. The middle and ring fingers, right above the wrist...Boo!

Oh no, sorry to hear it! I hope this wasn't from a bike crash and that you're recovering well!

Update as of Aug 2018 - I am hitting my stride this summer and would estimate 2,600 miles (2,400 on Strava but I don't log the 2-3 miles to/from BART). Loving my Turbo!

Hey VADO OWNERS - I'm guessing there are now a few of you racking up some good mileage! I'd love to hear from you in this thread!

I don't have fenders and the Almotions fit fine, no rubbing anywhere. I got my first flat when a screw went all the way into the middle of the tread (no tire could have prevent that, I think - just bad luck). When I fixed it, I noticed that there were two other places where glass had gotten into the rubber but it didn't cause a flat - I just picked it out and it was fine. Tires seem great so far and I ride through a lot of debris and junk.

Oh no, sorry to hear it! I hope this wasn't from a bike crash and that you're recovering well!
Roja, the injury was not bike related. I just got permission from my doctor to start riding again. With a recent stretch of bad weather, I hope to get back on my bike real soon!

UPDATE: I'm at over 4,000 miles now and commuting regularly for the last few weeks after a break due to a ton of rain here in CA. Bike is performing great (other than the display joystick issue and the funny noise in the wheel/motor, both of which the dealer took care of) and has just needed maintenance items like brake pads.

6,000 miles on 2015 Turbo in the past 18 months. Recently replaced the original battery with the 500+Wh battery. I’ve also replaced the brakes with Shimano, installed Ergo bar grips, replaced a failed joystick display and installed a Body Float seat post. The bike is a joy to ride.

So far 1800 miles in the first few months of ownership but also rode non powered bikes. Spring is finally here in upper Midwest so hoping for 3500 or more this season.

I bought a used Turbo X a year ago, with 1000 miles and have put 3000 additional miles on it. At 4000 miles: the freehub body and hub axel are toast, Specialized doesn't have replacement axels, you have to get a new wheel. I found a Turbo with 95 miles on it on Craigslist and now have a new wheel, spare battery, charger, display, etc but I'm going to be more on top of maintenance this time. I've replaced the tires with Schwalbes, changed the handlebars, and pedals as well. In addition, the whole drive train is going to be upgraded. I debated getting something else since this bike platform is deprecated but due to cost and tradeoffs, i made the decision to stick with it. What I like about the Turbo is that it's silent and looks/feels like a normal bike. Apart from the rear wheel, the bike uses mainly normal bike parts that I can source off my touring bike. I wish Specialized would just open source the tech on this bike, then I might be able to DIY it.

Have 3,460 miles in less than eight months and am on track to do 10,000 within warranty.

So far maintenance has been minimal. Have replace chain at 3,000 miles and it was necessary to replace chain ring as well as the new chain was noisy on the old chain ring. Had several false alarms that something was wrong with motor which proved to be nothing as the motor continues humming for thousands of miles thereafter.

The stock tires have held up well, not having been replaced as the have good rubber and no problems. Will stop by when they are replaced, but for now all is well.

Hope you can say the same for your Vado/Como.

Update: I'm around 5,800 miles (~9,400km) as of 12/1/2019. No issues in a few thousand miles. OEM chain lasted over 5k miles. Replaced Shimano pad with Jagwire and they have lasted *much* longer with no significant performance decrease.

(2016 Turbo X with the GoSwiss hub drive)

Last edited:
Had several false alarms that something was wrong with motor which proved to be nothing as the motor continues humming for thousands of miles thereafter.

I got a motor error (while climbing a hill) on mine about 2/3 weeks ago, the motor wouldn't turn on. I found that a kinked controller wire was the culprit, it's had no error since I straightened it out. The old controller design sucks, i'm on my second controller now, they are super fragile and really hard to see in good light.

Back