Turbo Levo Tuning

I've just purchased a Turbo Levo FSR and am wondering whats involved in installing a tuning device such as the Sx2 Dongle or PearTune MSO. Does anyone know:
  • What steps are involved to get access to the motor to attach the cables for these devices? I've asked the electricbiketuning guys but haven't had a detailed response.
    • Do i need to remove the pedals and the front cog? If so do i need a spider tool?
    • Do i need to open the motor as well once i have access to it?
  • Which is easiest to install?
An alternate option i have is the badassbox but I can't see how it would be installed on the new Turbo Levo FSR models as the magnet is right in behind the rear disc brakes.

Yes, i realize that i will be voiding the warranty however I really want to get higher speed assist on my bike and they guys over on the Haibike forum (https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/help-deciding-on-which-dongle-to-buy.3534/) who have tuned their bikes absolutely love it.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Sx2 Dongle for Specialized Turbo Levo Brose @169 Euros at EBiketuning.com. Hope this helps!

Worked! Thanks guys.

In summary to those curious about changing limit on Turbo LEVO FSR (abbreviated in English):

- Downloald "LightBlue" app
- Scroll down to second to last UUID: 0000000002-000
- Select "Write new value"
- Type in: 02002003
- Click "DONE"
- Turn off battery and close app
- Reboot battery, open Specialized App, verify wheel size says 800MM now
I did everything as told here several times but when opening the Mission Control App it keeps showing the 2000 as I had set it before. I wonder that since is a scroll list maybe there's no chance for it to show lower number?

I made a video for another guy... Make sure to follow it literally step for step (including closing the apps between steps). I've had a few people have issues using an Android app, then used an iPhone later and it worked fine.

Worked! Thanks guys.

In summary to those curious about changing limit on Turbo LEVO FSR (abbreviated in English):

- Click "DONE"
Thanks for this small Hack it works perfectly on my Specialized Turbo Levo Comp

Thanks bud, I'm wondering if this could work on the Turbo S roadbike?
I does. But given that the cutout speed on the Turbo S is 45 kmph you get very little extra effect regardless of what wheel circumference you set beyond the minimum you already can set in the control mission app. The minimum in the mission control will take you above 50 kmph but you will also experience that wind resistance increases exponentially. To truly sustain speeds well above 50 kmph you need a bigger motor.

Last edited:
I does. But given that the cutout speed on the Turbo S is 45 kmph you get very little extra effect regardless of what wheel circumference you set beyond the minimum you already can set in the control mission app. The minimum in the mission control will take you above 50 kmph but you will also experience that wind resistance increases exponentially. To truly sustain speeds well above 50 kmph you need a bigger motor.
I made a video for another guy... Make sure to follow it literally step for step (including closing the apps between steps). I've had a few people have issues using an Android app, then used an iPhone later and it worked fine.

Thanks for The vídeo, I'll give ir a try!
Do you know if using The light blue app to modify the settings voids the warranty?
Even if you restore the settings using Mission control?
Is this change tracked or logged somewhere?
I just bought the bike and wouldn't like to have the warranty voided!
Thanks for your help

I wouldn't think so, but if you're worried that much about it, I can't say for sure.

It does NOT increase the power, does not increase anything beyond it's designed limit... it just means when you're in the higher gears, it won't shut you down at a set speed. When you're in 1st gear, you're pedaling the motor with power WAY faster than you ever would be in 10th gear... so it doesn't increase the motor speed OR the power!

I wouldn't think so, but if you're worried that much about it, I can't say for sure.

It does NOT increase the power, does not increase anything beyond it's designed limit... it just means when you're in the higher gears, it won't shut you down at a set speed. When you're in 1st gear, you're pedaling the motor with power WAY faster than you ever would be in 10th gear... so it doesn't increase the motor speed OR the power!

Ok, thanks for your help, I'll give it a try anyway!

Hello, all. Just signed up to post a few questions.

The bike in question is a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp.

a) We'd like to know how to setup the Mission Control app or maybe the Brose control app (which I believe is on the Rotwild pedal assist MTB with the same Brose Motor that the Specialized uses).

b) Where we can get the earlier Mission Control app (like in the Video) that does NOT have the wheel diameter roll chart?

Thank you,
kreativecid

I've just purchased a Turbo Levo FSR and am wondering whats involved in installing a tuning device such as the Sx2 Dongle or PearTune MSO. Does anyone know:
  • What steps are involved to get access to the motor to attach the cables for these devices? I've asked the electricbiketuning guys but haven't had a detailed response.
    • Do i need to remove the pedals and the front cog? If so do i need a spider tool?
An alternate option i have is the badassbox but I can't see how it would be installed on the new Turbo Levo FSR models as the magnet is right in behind the rear disc brakes.

Yes, i realize that i will be voiding the warranty however I really want to get higher speed assist on my bike and they guys over on the Haibike forum (https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/help-deciding-on-which-dongle-to-buy.3534/) who have tuned their bikes absolutely love it.

Hi Shaun- I test rode a Levo at my LBS and I was bit disappointed in the size of the front chain ring and the amount of speed and resistance that I get in the high setting. That was a deal breaker IMHO to purchase. I think the bike needs a larger chainring, perhaps a 38t opposed to the stock 24t. Have you had any issues with your bike? I compared it to both the Bosch and the Yamaha and found they outperformed the Levo. If anyone has any thoughts, please chime in. Thanks!

Love the turbo Levo! I purchased the Expert in October and it has allowed me to go places I have not gone to in years. peddling up trails that most riders only go down. I have had some problems adjusting to the bikes input when coming off a fast section of trail turning into a steep climb and having no power assist at that critical transition time. The bike does not give me any assist, it feels like it has a ton of resistance and I come to a complete stop. This happens to often. I have tried to anticipate it being in the right gear for the climb and it still kicks my a$$.
My question is there a way to put more magnets on the hub or even a complete circle magnet so the bike has more of an instant on assist?
Thanks

Love the turbo Levo! I purchased the Expert in October and it has allowed me to go places I have not gone to in years. peddling up trails that most riders only go down. I have had some problems adjusting to the bikes input when coming off a fast section of trail turning into a steep climb and having no power assist at that critical transition time. The bike does not give me any assist, it feels like it has a ton of resistance and I come to a complete stop. This happens to often. I have tried to anticipate it being in the right gear for the climb and it still kicks my a$$.
My question is there a way to put more magnets on the hub or even a complete circle magnet so the bike has more of an instant on assist?
Thanks

Good question Ride! Perhaps you could reach out to Specialized and see what their techs have to say and then so to a LBS to have it modified. AS I have indicated to Shaun above, I find the 24 tooth front chainring is not large enough to get more speed and resistance. Are you finding the same issue with your expert?
Let me know- Good luck and ride safe!

Good question Ride! Perhaps you could reach out to Specialized and see what their techs have to say and then so to a LBS to have it modified. AS I have indicated to Shaun above, I find the 24 tooth front chainring is not large enough to get more speed and resistance. Are you finding the same issue with your expert?
Let me know- Good luck and ride safe!
Hi Bob. I guess it all depends on where you ride and what you want the bike to do. I found the gearing to be pretty good for the high country in Colorado 8000 - 12000 feet. If you want to go faster adding teeth to the front sprocket count is no big deal. You will most likely need to get a longer chain. If you have lots of hours on your bike you will probably need new rear sprockets as well.

Hi Bob. I guess it all depends on where you ride and what you want the bike to do. I found the gearing to be pretty good for the high country in Colorado 8000 - 12000 feet. If you want to go faster adding teeth to the front sprocket count is no big deal. You will most likely need to get a longer chain. If you have lots of hours on your bike you will probably need new rear sprockets as well.

Thanks. My LBS indicated that I could only go up to 30t based on the positioning of the chainring. I was looking more for a 38t like many other e-mtbs.
Ahh a longer chain also. That is a very good point!

Top video, very useful.
Followed to the letter and fully functioning at now full speed. This is one of the best examples of the brilliance of the internet and the community spirit. Saved me 169euro on a dongle I simply don't need. Would have already ordered it but they were out of stock and found this whilst looking for another supplier. Very happy.
FYI, the iOS app version changed name to BLE Scanner, and the function to chg isn't at the same place as in the vid now but it is still called the same...

I have a quick question regarding tuning of the Turbo Levo. I've had mine for four days now its a Turbo Levo Expert so far love the bike but it is early days and I haven't even made it muddy yet. Do you think this update would invalidate the warranty on the motor or battery?
And hello everyone happy to be here....

Worked! Thanks guys.

- Click "DONE"
Hi, I wonder if any of those who have used this have had any issues afterwords. I set this up about two months ago and worked great till a couple of weeks ago wehn my Turbo Levo stoped responding when trying to change the power. It's stuck at Turbo and although the lights on the frame show I change to trial or eco its clera the power doesn't change. The battery goes dead after only two hours. Also the Mission Control doesn't record my rides properly... it all went crazy. I've tried to reset all but doesn't work. Please help how to get it fixed!

I have had my expert for a year now, ridden about 1600 miles. Live near Boston MA ride mixed trail and techy single track averaging 5-15 miles per ride depending on just how technical the riding is. I downloaded lightblue the app recognized the bike right away I have not tried the wheel circumference mod yet, if I read it correctly reseting default values through will restore the correct wheel circumference. I'm still running the original firmware on the bike as both my local bike shops did not have the correct dongles for the interface. That being said I was shown the new power profiles of the firmware updates and I did not like what I saw. The older software profile allow each of the three levels to rise to full torque yes ECO goes to 100% torque same as TURBO. If you have ridden the bike enough you realize that the power output in TURBO is too much when riding technical terrain you need a slow ramp up of power. Under the new firmware, the lower settings never reach full torque except in TURBO. Has anyone upgraded the firmware who can share real world experience.

Hello I have upgraded my expert in fact it came with the upgrades installed from the factory. I had the 6fattie fsr for two weeks prior to my Expert arriving and it was on the old software. Yes you can easily notice the difference in power profiles between the updated and non updated bikes on the new software the assist just drops off like when you hit the speed limit in the high gears. The old software seemed a bit smarter and intuitive I feel the new software will be easier on the drive train and the battery range has been extended. I do find myself changing between Trail and Turbo assist much more than I ever did before I think I will have to buy the remote so I don't have to keep taking my hands off of the grips.

I will not be allowing the software update to my bike, the current software allows for full motor power from any of the three (eco, trial, and turbo)
The new software lowers the output in each of the three power setting preventing full power unless your in turbo. Anyone who has ridden the bike knows that the power profiles have increasingly less control as the power output increases. If your riding technical trail sections restarting on a slope or worse yet trying to modulate your way through s tricky obstacle is nearly impossible in turbo the power is too hard to control. The mission control app can be adjusted to lower outputs between the three power levels to conserve battery life and I would guess motor life as well. But then there is the drive train issue. I spent $800 to "upgrade" to SRAM EX1 1 x 8 drive train after breaking the same chain twice in two weeks at about 900 miles, I changed the chain but ordered the new drive EX1.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The EX1 has a couple of problems, the bike shop had to experiment with shims in order to get it to work, not a problem for me as the consumer. However after about 6 months the upper chain roller in the long cage tore itself out stripping the thread both the cage and retaining screw. I had to buy a new derailleur from England GOOD LUCK finding one state side. I'm going to try to get SRAM to warranty the part but have found my local bike shop claiming trail damage, true there are some scratches on the derailleur, however this is SRAM "tougher" drive system because the stock drive trains are self destructing, stay tuned for more on the warranty adventure.

Badass dongle or power boxes do not increase your power output they only remove the 20mph governor, the easier and safer way is my changing wheel circumference on the mission control app, blue light app is free however I lowered wheel circumference to 2000 mm and got another 4 miles an hours out of the bike, the reality is that on level ground the motor has almost no extra power above 20 miles an hours it just runs out of steam.

ALSO a shout out to the Garmen ALT+ handlebar mount power controller

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/545795

Great device works as promised and very useful switching between eco (set at 30%) and turbo (set at %50) and motor current set at %100 percent. I experimented with the lower power setting that other people were using but when I am trying to mount a rock that failing to clear means falling backwards to earth I am going for the power. This effects my battery life depending on how technical the climbs are in turbo grind my way up and through rock and root hell I will get about 1 mile per indicator green light of charge level, on less demanding level double track about 2 miles per indicator light of charge level.
This is disappointing range but I am asking for a lot of battery in my settings.

Hopes this helps

Ruti

Back