Specialized Turbo Levo

If you give them a go,, can you pm me your thoughts after a while? I can't use clip ins ( nasty foot injury).
I’ve heard that the Enduros are heavy but there are likely some alloy flats that are also on the hefty side such as the Diety TMacs. It might also take time to get the fit dialed in but it’s also nice to know that you can opt for one of either two different levels of force, 150N and 200N. They recommend riders weighing up to 80kg go for the versions with less magnetic force which would be me. I’m used to clipping in on my road bike so perhaps there won’t be much difficulty bridging the gap.

I’ve heard that the Enduros are heavy but there are likely some alloy flats that are also on the hefty side such as the Diety TMacs. It might also take time to get the fit dialed in but it’s also nice to know that you can opt for one of either two different levels of force, 150N and 200N. They recommend riders weighing up to 80kg go for the versions with less magnetic force which would be me. I’m used to clipping in on my road bike so perhaps there won’t be much difficulty bridging the gap.

I looked into them a few years ago when my kids reached the skill level that most riders were going clipped in, but both decided they liked NOT being clipped in for technical riding. At the time, I figured the magnetic versions might help then transition. Everyone I asked was critical, but I suspect that's because flats vs clips is such a divisive topic? I figure an open minded person like yourself would be able to provide useful feedback.

@Prairie Dog I have not, those Magpeds look really neat, very cool. Yes I did try a 50/50 clip-in Specialized pedal a few times on my Levo when I first got it. Tried it twice. I felt myself going easier on the bike though. I transferred them over from my Spec Carbo Sirrus X5.0 bike, gave it a go on the Levo, but decided they belonged on the Sirrus gravel bike and not my Levo for my preference.

old habit maybe, In the dirt I do like to be able to pull my feet off for balance and other reasons in really odd/rutty downhill situations. For pedals and shoes - I did land on using Specialized Boomslang pedals and Adidas FiveTen 5.0 sticky shoes. It's about as sticky and planted as I'll ever need it to be.

I am still putting myself in the novice-intermediate rider category on eMTBs or mountain bikes for that matter at my age and needing to be a little more careful than I was in my younger years riding like a crazy fool, jumping stuff, doing stupid things we all use to do. Honestly, I love seeing th photos of us all just getting out there and exploring too. I tell all my friends people say ride "further, faster" on these eMTBs and I add the 3rd words "explore more" to the end of it now. I actually prefer eMTB now to my prior 50yr life of dirt motorcycles and motocross doing the same tracks and trails over and over. Now if I can manage to keep the rubber side down on this eMTB I'll be a happy camper. I still kinda like going faster down rough downhill stuff to challenge myself. Keeping feet untethered helps in case the eject button gets pressed for me unexpectantly, LOL!

I looked into them a few years ago when my kids reached the skill level that most riders were going clipped in, but both decided they liked NOT being clipped in for technical riding. At the time, I figured the magnetic versions might help then transition. Everyone I asked was critical, but I suspect that's because flats vs clips is such a divisive topic? I figure an open minded person like yourself would be able to provide useful feedback.
If I do spring for a set, I may opt for the lighter Magped Ultra 2s over the Enduros as they seem like they could work for my needs. Stamp 1s are what I currently ride on and are few grams lighter and 15mm wider than the U2s. Only caveat might be far fewer pins per side vs the Enduros. They are perhaps comparable dimension wise to a set of Shimano M8100 XTs but easier to engage. Magped also offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee if the pedals are not for you.

@Prairie Dog I have not, those Magpeds look really neat, very cool. Yes I did try a 50/50 clip-in Specialized pedal a few times on my Levo when I first got it. Tried it twice. I felt myself going easier on the bike though. I transferred them over from my Spec Carbo Sirrus X5.0 bike, gave it a go on the Levo, but decided they belonged on the Sirrus gravel bike and not my Levo for my preference.

old habit maybe, In the dirt I do like to be able to pull my feet off for balance and other reasons in really odd/rutty downhill situations. For pedals and shoes - I did land on using Specialized Boomslang pedals and Adidas FiveTen 5.0 sticky shoes. It's about as sticky and planted as I'll ever need it to be.

I am still putting myself in the novice-intermediate rider category on eMTBs or mountain bikes for that matter at my age and needing to be a little more careful than I was in my younger years riding like a crazy fool, jumping stuff, doing stupid things we all use to do. Honestly, I love seeing th photos of us all just getting out there and exploring too. I tell all my friends people say ride "further, faster" on these eMTBs and I add the 3rd words "explore more" to the end of it now. I actually prefer eMTB now to my prior 50yr life of dirt motorcycles and motocross doing the same tracks and trails over and over. Now if I can manage to keep the rubber side down on this eMTB I'll be a happy camper. I still kinda like going faster down rough downhill stuff to challenge myself. Keeping feet untethered helps in case the eject button gets pressed for me unexpectantly, LOL!
I hear ya. Getting out on the trails for me is a nice change up from riding tarmac which can become a bit monotonous day in and out. I get stoked just thinking about it. However, there are a few spots along the singles where I can, from time to time, stop for a breather, chill out among the surroundings and soak it all in. The mountains are 2-3 hrs away if I need to get my fix for an alpine adventure. Bragg Creek, Canmore/Banff, and K-Country have some phenomenal trails. With the recent acquisition of the Epic Evo, I can now feel free to ride the singles at Canmore which does not allow ebikes in their back country trail system.

I currently wear an older pair of Michelin soled Shimano GR 9s which I have found to provide a perfect fit almost to a point where I can’t see myself wearing anything else. These are essentially the non-cleated versions of the SH-AM 903s which also happen to be one of the shoes Magped recommends. I think for riders like me who have anxiety about clipping in and out on techy singles, these pedals might be a reasonable compromise between having that sense of connected stability while not feeling totally locked in.

If I do spring for a set, I may opt for the lighter Magped Ultra 2s over the Enduros as they seem like they could work for my needs. Stamp 1s are what I currently ride on and are few grams lighter and 15mm wider than the U2s. Only caveat might be far fewer pins per side vs the Enduros. They are perhaps comparable dimension wise to a set of Shimano M8100 XTs but easier to engage. Magped also offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee if the pedals are not for you.

IF the magpeds don't work for you, try swapping those stamps for some alloy one ups ( nb ally, not the composites) Every time I ride my middle childs bike with stamps I'm left wondering why they are so popular

IF the magpeds don't work for you, try swapping those stamps for some alloy one ups ( nb ally, not the composites) Every time I ride my middle childs bike with stamps I'm left wondering why they are so popular

Out of the handful of Magped video reviews that I’ve watched so far, this one convinced me to spring for a set of Enduros as his opening statement is one that I feel I can relate to. The demo of him lifting his shoe on and off the pedal doesn’t appear to require a significant amount of torque to release unlike a clipless pedal which could leave you in tizzy on technical singles. The strength of the magnets as demonstrated is also impressive. I’ll likely try them out on the Levo to begin with and if all goes well, I’ll swap them between rides with the Epic Evo. I’m actually glad to ditch the Stamps. That being said, I don’t think I will give up riding clipless on tarmac any time soon.

Last edited:
Magped Enduro 2

PXL_20240614_215512589.jpg

I installed these puppies on the Levo this afternoon and rode a few city blocks just to get accustomed to the fit. I even managed a few steepish hill climbs to test out the actual physical attachment utilizing full 360-degree rotation. So far, I like what I see and feel. In simple terms, it’s all about maximizing pedaling efficiency. There is a slight learning curve in getting the steel shoe plates to connect firmly to the magnets but once I found the sweet spot it was amazing to see how well planted my shoes were. These things really do cling when you get up and out of the saddle.

PXL_20240614_220538761.jpg

The connection is firm but far less robust than that of a clipless pedal. I should know as I’ve been road riding clipless for some time now. A simple lifting of one’s foot off to the side is all that it takes to extricate your shoe from the magnet.

Magped provide pins and either end has a short and long height. You simply screw in however many pins you want. I opted for the recommended two long in the front, four short in the middle and two short at the rear. The two magnets on each pedal can also be raised or lowered depending on your shoe’s tread design. Flat bottom soles work the best. I’ll likely tweak the magnet heights and pin placement over the next few weeks.

PXL_20240614_213457005.jpg
PXL_20240614_213521638.jpg

The next order of business will to take these out on the trail and see how they measure up to standard flats.

very unobtrusive “cleat” design on the shoe side! it’s just a flat piece of magnetic metal?

very unobtrusive “cleat” design on the shoe side! it’s just a flat piece of magnetic metal?
The pedals came with a plastic spacer and a metal plate. I suspect the spacer which is placed underneath helps elevate the steel plate to enhance engagement. For the Shimano 903 mtb shoes, the metal plate together with the spacer sits 2mm below the sole which is optimal.

Screenshot_14-6-2024_214943_www.magped.us.jpeg

There is also an optional positioning plate which enables you to maintain the same spot on the pedal each time. If you want more flexibility to change your positioning on the pedal you can choose to go without them which I did. Installing the metal plate is less fussy compared to normal SPD or SL cleats as it’s just one big ole albeit flat piece of steel.

The pedals came with a plastic spacer and a metal plate. I suspect the spacer which is placed underneath helps elevate the steel plate to enhance engagement. For the Shimano 903 mtb shoes, the metal plate together with the spacer sits 2mm below the sole which is optimal.

View attachment 177544

There is also an optional positioning plate which enables you to maintain the same spot on the pedal each time. If you want more flexibility to change your positioning on the pedal you can choose to go without them which I did. Installing the metal plate is less fussy compared to normal SPD or SL cleats as it’s just one big ole albeit flat piece of steel.

i was expecting something more like the positioning plate you describe, with a non-magnetic slightly sloped to a magnetic circle the same size as the one on the pedal!

i was expecting something more like the positioning plate you describe, with a non-magnetic slightly sloped to a magnetic circle the same size as the one on the pedal!
It’s exactly how you described it. If a fixed position is what you prefer then you have the option of ditching the spacer.

1718424606070.png

Back