Trying to make a decision on ebike for hunting

wwdiii

I am new to Electric Bicycles and new to this forum. Looking into electirc bike for hunting. One of my concerns is buy one and not use it like I think I can. My need would not be drastic. I need to be able to ride in a mile or so from where I park my hunting truck. My other concern is buy one not us it an my wife never shut up about me me not using it!!

The best bang for the buck I can find that looks to be useable until I can determine how much use it/makes sense, is Gravity Bullseye Monster. I am sure there are others, but it kind of hard to decode some of the specs when not familer. I did get an email back from the distributor quickly and answered my question. Although I do not claim to be able to ask all the right questions.

One thing that really supprised me is how many people build. I guess with many of these ebikes being pieced together and then shipped by the supplier I can see why someone would do this. I have the mechanical skills to build one, but like knowlage of compoments is lacking. My back ground is industiral process control (retired early from a major control system/Technology company), but that doesn't mean I know componets to buy to build etc. I figured I may want to buy one to start. I'm limited on time with my new job and other hobbies or I would jump in and build one. With that said I can't rule it out, but may not know where to start on the compoent side.

I am hoping to gain informaiton to make the right decision. There are so many ebikes, lots of options. It is amazaing the variance in cost also. I need to keep in the 750 watt range to comply with hunting laws.

comments please, Thanks, Billy

Welcome to the forum! If you poke around here, you'll likely find answers to many specific questions. If not, just ask! You might try looking in the "Electric Bike Guides & Resources" section: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/guides/

It can often be difficult to find a bike fitted out with all the features you want. That, coupled with the high cost, are the main reasons so many build their own. I started out with the idea of building one but like you, I'm not that familiar with all the components involved. As a compromise, I bought a bike with the basic features I need and modified it to better suit my purpose. With a little mechanical skill, equipment like handlebars, seat, suspension, tires and gear ratio are fairly easy to swap out. Items like rear racks and fenders can usually be added or removed to suit your needs. In your search, don't rule out a bike just because it lacks this type of equipment.

I no longer hunt so I can't offer any specific advice but I do know a few guys who use their bikes for hunting. All agree they are an excellent way to get into the woods. Keep in mind, the bike is fine for taking small game back out but don't expect to drag a bear or deer carcass like you would with an ATV or snowmobile.

Last edited:
The Felt Outfitter was created by the owner of Felt Bikes specifically so he can take it hunting off road. Court has a great review of the Outfitter on this site worth checking out.

Here is a youtube video of a hunter using his Outfitter rigged with the Bob Trailer:
Recommend turning the sound down to bypass the heavy metal music! :)

I don't see the Outfitter listed in the 2019 Felt Ebike lineup. Court's review of the Outfitter, along with the Haibike FatSix got me thinking seriously to look into a fat tired ebike; the result being one very happy owner of a Full FatSix.

Fwiw, there is a used Outfitter going for 2 thousand dollars on Craigslist right now.

For hunting or maybe even camping off road, you want a fat bike; preferably with a tubeless set up. And most important, front and rear racks and a thru-axle that can be retrofitted to accept a Robert Axle Project axle that accepts the bobbins required to haul a Bob Trailer behind you.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with. And welcome to the world of off road ebikes. Best fun you'll ever have with a bike!

During Hunting Season last fall I counted at least a dozen Rad Rovers either in active use by hunters or in the back of their rigs.

Reactions: JRA
Hey guys thanks for the comments and will look at those recomendations. I spent some like looking through the forum yesterday and there is a lot of good info. I can see why one would DIY.

Thanks, Billy

For hunting I'd recommend a Biktrix Juggernaught (can customize to what you want), a Surface604 Boar (make sure it has the controller revision) or a Felt Outfitter (if you can find one). Rambo bikes are fine, but their accessories are what make it great.

Also, check out dis:

My thought would be, whatever bike you're looking at, is to make sure the racks look like they can handle some weight. Out in the field would not be the time to find out the rack capacity was designed with one grocery bag in mind. Bird hunting is one thing, but big game, hopefully, will require some serious rack capacity.

My thought would be, whatever bike you're looking at, is to make sure the racks look like they can handle some weight. Out in the field would not be the time to find out the rack capacity was designed with one grocery bag in mind. Bird hunting is one thing, but big game, hopefully, will require some serious rack capacity.
If you planning on packing the bike out with weight you could use a trailer, something with suspension so it's not bouncing around too much. There are plenty online nowadays. for example: https://ebikegeneration.com/collect...ies/products/backcountry-ebikes-cargo-trailer

Attachments

• single wheel cart_compressed.jpg
    single wheel cart_compressed.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,651
@AHicks is right. One of the reasons I did not get a Rad was the 45 pound capacity of the rear racks. I often wonder if the designers of hunting e-bikes or the people who write reviews on them have actually used them for hunting. Most rear racks are so narrow, it is difficult to load and secure any substantial cargo on them. I bought the Rad large rear platform for mine which greatly enhances the load size and balancing capability. Using Kolpin ATV gun racks, I can carry my crossbow on it and still have room for my day pack strapped to it with bungi cords or cinch straps.

Hey JRA,

Yes I get you. but the Christini AWD that Karl had custom made is not your run of the mill bike. I may never get to try it out. the AWD could make it a bit of a handful for someone just looking for a reliable bike for hunting. something quiet, strong and able to carry extra gear and haul a trailer.
With 2 motors while it's still quiet, it's not silent and deer would hear you coming. And the nylon gear in the motor is the weak link and is the first thing to go wrong in the motor, it tends to get chewed up. Bafang now make the Ultra with 3 steel gears to avoid that from happening and it's still really silent.
I will be re-writing the list for 2020 so I'll see if in the meantime I can get a Christini for a day and try for myself. Thanks for the feedback!

If you planning on packing the bike out with weight you could use a trailer, something with suspension so it's not bouncing around too much. There are plenty online nowadays. for example: https://ebikegeneration.com/collect...ies/products/backcountry-ebikes-cargo-trailer

As a member of the older generation, I'm struggling to imagine myself on a bike, or a bike w/trailer, trying to get out of the woods after a successful hunt. A young man with a lot more stamina might have a chance, but even if I were able to load the bike/trailer in a manner where I could, I really can't imagine trying to keep my balance with a load like this. Myself, after a successful hunt, I think maybe I'd have to have a back up retrieval plan consisting of something with 4 tires under it.....

I do like the plan of riding the bike back to my stand.

Back