Trouble finding comfort bike frame

BlueGenes

Having now put over 2000 miles on my Rad City, I've decided I'd like to build an ebike from the frame up. Yes, I know this will likely cost me more than buying a bike, but I've always enjoyed building things, and am greatly looking forward to the experience. Additionally, building a bike will allow me to have a combination of features I've not been able to find in any one commercially available ebike.

I've picked out most of the components I plan to put on the bike, but I'm currently hitting a wall with finding an appropriate frame. As a result of a motorcycle injury, I have a weak wrist. Thus, an upright riding position (as on my Rad) is a must. My other must haves are rack and fender mounts and being disc brake compatible. I'd also very much prefer a steel frame.

You'd think such a frame would not be hard to find, yet here I am. I do realize I could, with the choice of a suitable stem, handlebars, etc. use a road or mountain frame, but I'd prefer to use a purpose made frame. Likewise, I could buy a used comfort bike and completely strip it, but that seems like a waste of parts.

Any ideas?

Comfort upright style is coming back in vogue, but that means most of such products are new. Everything at Salvation Army and the flea market is a MTB, or a 70's 3 speed copied from the 60's Sherwood English racer's. The new Schwinn comfort bikes at the grocery store have a 7 speed back sprocket, no front sprocket, cheap shimano or sun shifter, rim brakes. I view rim brakes as losers in the rain, I've always hated them since my 2 speed Bendix coaster brake equipped bike was stolen. Now there are disk brakes, that do work in the rain.
Genuine 50's 40's used comfort frames (all girls bikes) have a one piece crank, which is barely compatible with PAS sensors. It took me a week of fabrication to make the PAS sensor fit my 90's huffy savannah cruiser. Hitting a hefty weed would rip it off again.
Also used 50's 40's frames have no mounts for brakes whatsoever, rim or disk. They have a clip for the coaster brake arm. There is no way short of cutting out the crank tube and welding in another to put a 2 or 3 front sprocket derailleur on a 50's 40's bike. I use 34:32 ratio to grind up 15% grades with 60 lb supplies, and 52:11 is useful for helping the motor above 13 mph.
I would suggest you go to a big city and try around all the ebikes sold now. LA, Chicago, NYC. Comfort style is quite popular now in e-bikes. If your body shape is not unusual, you might find something in stock. I'd suggest for example, bikes styled like the Amsterdam city bikes, that are upright, have fenders, a book rack. One that has caught my eye is the Giselle, although with my short legs I don't think it would fit me. Dutch people I've met have had very long legs.
I have to say Rad strikes me as being a very down market brand. SRAM shifters do really work better.
I have an aluminum frame bike shown left, and the only disadvantage I see is that the stem & seatpost diameters are oversize to lighten weight. So I can't change anything in those areas. I think only yubabikes takes that liberty with the standard parts. The aluminum stretch frame certainly stopped my problem with going over the handlebars because the weight distribution was 20%-80% F-R on the MTB & cruiser with steel baskets, and the front wheel kept whipping sideways on obstructions and dumping me on my chin.
One new thing in e-bikes is suspension, a factor not to be missed over 10 mph. I habitally go 8 mph self powered, and only electric converted because the headwinds common now in April & September drag me down to 5 mph. But if I wanted to go over 9, I'd want a suspension even though the 2.1" tires I ride are pretty comfy.

Last edited:
I'd also very much prefer a steel frame...Any ideas?

There are very few production frames made of steel. Surly comes to mind. Soma Fabrications too. But no one that I am aware of makes "comfort" geometry frames, become comfort rather implies a casual rider, and casual riders don't typically want to build an expensive bike, they buy off-the-shelf budget bikes. Perhaps the Surly Troll comes closest to what you are looking for. However, it comes with a rigid fork, and Surly does not recommend using a suspension fork with that model.

You'd probably have to have a frame custom built.

Soma Buena Vista frame was redesigned for disk brakes, the sliding rear drop outs would let you install an IGH if you preferred.

Thank you all, for the varied and informative replies. You've got some great ideas!
I will continue looking in ebike stores for the "perfect" bike. I live in a small town, with the nearest city (with numerous ebike stores) about and hour and a half away. More test rides would certainly help.
The Soma Buena Vista is a frame I hadn't looked at in my previous searches. Interesting!
Likewise, buying an inexpensive new or used bike (and stripping it) looks increasingly like a viable route. It's a beautiful day today. My wife and I are going for a ride later. I think I'll make it a point to visit some of the local garage sales.
Thanks again everyone! It's great to have a such a smart group to ask questions.

Read http://lovelybike.blogspot.com to learn about what makes a great comfort bike. She no longer keeps the site up, but the good info is still there.

The best bikes are made in Europe, and few make it to America except in places that have a sophisticated bike culture. Of course, the best is to go to Europe yourself, buy a bike and then spend two weeks riding it in the flat cities or along the flat river routes dedicated to cycling. Then add the motor when you get home.

In America, Boston is the most bike sophisticated:

Look on Craiglist Boston and pay $350 additional for a flight to collect.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (An affordable DL-1 - the best bike you can find!)

Or look in Portland or San Francisco - I see you are in Oregon, so Portland/Eugene may have what you seek. Just keep looking

To narrow the search put in "Brooks" to find bikes with Brooks saddles, or nationality like "Dutch" or "English"

Back