Trek Powerfly FS 4

Latitude

Looking longingly at this bike. Having done everything I can to make my Verve + 3 into a trail bike, and being very satisfied with the results, I still like the idea of a stripped down dual suspension bike that I could attack steeper trails with, as I’m out on them nearly every day. Wouldn’t change a thing on the Verve as a very well behaved bike around town, on trails and for shopping, with good cargo capacity. I would just put a small seat post bag on the Powerfly with tire repair kit. Hmmm... how to convince the wife.
The XS frame would fit me perfectly, allowing standover especially with the dropper seat post, as my inseam is well short of 28”.

Attachments

• 9E0645A3-23EE-474C-B683-934204321874.jpeg
    9E0645A3-23EE-474C-B683-934204321874.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Ok, if I have to be honest, I test rode one yesterday...in a parking lot. I was less impressed than I wanted to be. They have had very little interest lately. They have the grey/black in medium (the one I rode) and the purple/black in large.
They said I could take it for a “real” ride but I can’t afford to like it that much. My wife would kick me out.😤
EC761181-D503-468C-AF45-D7F538C691E0.jpeg

@Latitude: Why do you only look to Trek bikes? Want to re-use the Verve battery or what?

You might look to 2021 models of Giant Stance E+ or (your wife wouldn't understand that) -- a Trance E+. Giant e-MTBs give bigger bang for CA$ :) My story was like follows: Having earned more money that I expected, I wanted a Turbo Levo Comp. Fortunately, there were none to be found in the market in May this year. I turned to Giant and got me a Trance E+. Far far cheaper, and that's a great e-MTB. Honestly, too much of e-bike for me. I would be equally happy with a Stance E+ :)

Ok, if I have to be honest, I test rode one yesterday...in a parking lot. I was less impressed than I wanted to be. They have had very little interest lately. They have the grey/black in medium (the one I rode) and the purple/black in large.
They said I could take it for a “real” ride but I can’t afford to like it that much. My wife would kick me out.😤
View attachment 70633
Why less than impressed? What didn’t you like? The bike seems great on paper plus the looks are great.

@Latitude: Why do you only look to Trek bikes? Want to re-use the Verve battery or what?

You might look to 2021 models of Giant Stance E+ or (your wife wouldn't understand that) -- a Trance E+. Giant e-MTBs give bigger bang for CA$ :) My story was like follows: Having earned more money that I expected, I wanted a Turbo Levo Comp. Fortunately, there were none to be found in the market in May this year. I turned to Giant and got me a Trance E+. Far far cheaper, and that's a great e-MTB. Honestly, too much of e-bike for me. I would be equally happy with a Stance E+ :)
I will take a look at Giants Stefan. Like my Trek dealer though, that’s the main driver.

Why less than impressed? What didn’t you like? The bike seems great on paper plus the looks are great.
I’m sure I would’ve been more impressed with a real test ride vs a parking lot. TBH, I’m just not that familiar with EMTBs so ignorance is definitely a factor.🤓
I would say the suspension would also need adjustment as it may have been locked or set very stiff. It did certainly seem very powerful as it felt very light compared to my Allant. It was just an impulse when I saw it sitting there as I was shopping for another bike bag for my wife’s new Lowstep.

Last edited:
The first thing any "normal" cyclist can notice on their first real e-MTB ride is how he/she gets spread out low over the handlebars, and how wide the bars are :) Seriously!
Yes, I definitely noticed that. It also has the drop seat which I’ve never encountered. The whole geometry was so different and, again, in the right riding circumstances it probably would’ve been far more impressive.

Yes, I definitely noticed that. It also has the drop seat which I’ve never encountered. The whole geometry was so different and, again, in the right riding circumstances it probably would’ve been far more impressive.
Right. My problem is I rarely ride hills as we hardly have any hills around (I need to travel for couple hundred of km to do mountain rides). For that reason, I raised the handlebars. It is a heresy but it is good for riding off-road in the plains. It makes me vulnerable in the mountains though.

View attachment 70633

Purion display?

One of the things that appeals to me is the low standover height of 69cm/27” on the small and xs sizes. Plus the drop seat post. I’m a really short bugger.
I used to ride this analogue version, still in my garage. Still in great shape too, (the bike, not me) although the 27 speed Deore shifter system needs some tweaking. I borrowed the derailleur from it for my Verve + 3 temporarily, and it worked just fine until I got the new Deore Shadow. I have put the great Bontrager adjustable stem from my Verve on it now. Interesting, the front and rear tires are the same brand and model on this bike, but they have different tread. More side-to-side on the rear tire, more diagonal on the front.

Attachments

• CFCB8532-0FF2-4A06-8949-640F219171D2.jpeg
    CFCB8532-0FF2-4A06-8949-640F219171D2.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
One of the things that appeals to me is the low standover height of 69cm/27” on the small and xs sizes. Plus the drop seat post. I’m a really short bugger.
I rode the medium but the small is probably what I’d choose for any actual trail riding.

I'm pretty sure my next bike will be an emtb and I'm leaning towards trek due to being able to have an extra battery for my Allant on a loooong ride :). I would love to ride a giant bike. However, my dealer only carries specialized ebikes no giant ebikes. Maybe next year will be different. The value of them definitely appeals to me. I also have 2 full suspension acoustic giant bikes and they are amazing.

View attachment 70633
My shop has a small black/gray in stock. I’m afraid to look at it.

View attachment 70633
Thanks a lot Dallant, best pic yet of the bike. Stop it!

The first thing any "normal" cyclist can notice on their first real e-MTB ride is how low he/she gets spread over the handlebars, and how wide the bars are :) Seriously!
P.S. The reason for such geometry is to not make a wheelie on steep climbs, and to make steering precise and quick.
I see the handle bars are 4” wider than my Verve, and same for my old trail dual suspension bike.

Back