TREK Domane+ 2019, thoughts, price, issue?

Manufacturing defect or assembler defect? I thought this was supposed to be a 'Premier' piece of equipment. Scary.

Very helpful-thanks so much. They had to replace the seat mast cap with the longer one to fit me, and the shop of course had to drill a hole in it for the wire. The little grommet didn’t really fit so I need to Jerry-rig something there to prevent chafing. I also thought the bolt holding the light in looked a little strange but had no idea what it was supposed to look like—until I saw your picture. No idea why the original color-matched bolt is not there—I’ll have to ask them.

Since you obviously know more about this than my dealer I have one other question for you. While riding I realized that sometimes the front light would start flashing but that nothing I could do with the controller would put it into flash mode. I called Trek support who could not answer that question and had to call me back. When they did call me after the agent had talked to the technical people he said that there is a sensor that causes the front light to go into flash mode when it reaches a certain level of ambient brightness. I think he said the sensor is actually on the rear light but he didn’t sound too sure. I would have thought it would be on the front light itself—do you know which is the case? I ask mainly related to repositioning the rear light more under the seat.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks so much for your help--photos really clarify things. The bike shop had to replace the seat mast cap with the longer one to fit me, so they obviously had to drill a hole in the new one for the wire. The gasket didn't really fit so I clearly need to jerry-rig something to prevent chafing on the wire.

I had noticed that the bolt on the light itself looked a bit strange but didn't know what it was supposed to look like until I saw your photo. I just realized that the shop handed me back some unused parts and it clearly looks like there is a little color-matched cap that is supposed to go over the bolt opening (as opposed to the bolt being color-matched itself).

Also it looks the like there are different clamps that can be used to attach the light (?) versus these are for something else I don't know about.

Since you clearly know more about this than my dealer I have one more question for you. I noticed while riding that the front light would sometimes go into flash mode by itself. Nothing I could do with the light controller would make it go into flash manually. I called Trek Customer support for an explanation which they could not provide. They had to call me back after talking to the technical people and then told me that there is a sensor which puts the front light into flashing mode when the ambient light reaches a certain level of brightness. He also told me that the sensor is on the rear light but didn't seem to sure about that. Do you know where it is is? I would have thought it would be on the front light itself. I ask in the context of repositioning the rear light more under the seat.

Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• Rear Light Clamps.jpg
    Rear Light Clamps.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 665
Whoa, okay that explains...but sorry, getting technical at this point! I don't have riding experience or anything with it...so i don't know why the light sensor (?) is doing what it's doing or anything. Also your dealer knows best I figure.

I do have some experience with one part in that photo though. The upper right bracket, with the brass-colored cylinder with thread. it's for mounting a fender on the rear! Common for regular Domane bikes. The left one I don't know. And the tiny pieces I don't know.

Clearly an assembler defect! I am not sure "my dealer knows best"--as I said even Trek Customer Support didn't know about the sensor. And it amazes me how often even "premier" bikes come with a one-size-fits-all universal bike manual that doesn't even cover the systems unique to the specific bike. That said I absolutely love the bike so far, and with your photos/help and my "extra" parts I think I can get it looking better and working correctly (to the extent there is a "correctly"--this sensor clearly has a mind of its own).

Hmm...good luck to you.

Keep us posted on how you like it otherwise. I think revisiting your dealer is still reasonable. They should figure stuff out for you, so you don't have to call around. I am sure the mothership has an answer and they can get it!

I’ve just had this bike on demo for the weekend as I’ve had nothing but trouble with a giant road e,
I must say it’s a lovely bike to ride, its a bit down on power on the giant but it’s capable.
E585C2B6-332D-439D-A4DE-EBF022223D90.jpeg24D7FF41-EF1F-498A-A90F-0018C0E95C79.jpeg5754E231-1F04-4AF3-9FA6-1B9AD8D4C6BF.jpeg

Adorable
I’ve just had this bike on demo for the weekend as I’ve had nothing but trouble with a giant road e,
I must say it’s a lovely bike to ride, its a bit down on power on the giant but it’s capable.
View attachment 32641View attachment 32642View attachment 32640

Regarding the price :

Considering that similar top high end road bikes W/O assist go for same prices or even higher 8-9-10grand(Cannondale super six) , it is an almost reasonable price. It should have been 4-5k ...That extra 2 grand is well the price of happpiness.
The Pinarello Dioda (for Us) is 8999$ , and much lower range , only a class 1 ebike-20mph max.
For Trek- If they had lower their price , a bigger share of riders would have bought it , making the e road bikes common amongst roadies and popular . Well for the savy ones, i’m sure it will come down in price in around 6-9months.
Gotta save up for this one as is really the only hot+capable e road bike currently produced. And definitely for next 2-3years only slight improvements will come to battery/motor technology.

Last edited:
The Ribble and Orbea bikes are totally different than the Trek, as they are of the “just enough” assist ideology. Which approach is best is a personal choice, but I don’t think it is accurate to call them similar to the Domane +, or any bike with a Bosch Performance Line motor for that matter.

The Ribble and Orbea bikes are totally different than the Trek, as they are of the “just enough” assist ideology. Which approach is best is a personal choice, but I don’t think it is accurate to call them similar to the Domane +, or any bike with a Bosch Performance Line motor for that matter.

Yep, i don’t even know why they bothered to make those bikes and all bikes with Fazua system are not needed. Maybe on the hills that motor push is helpfull...
A lot of riders old or young can reach 20mph with some moderate effort on a much lighter bike. I know people in their 60’s who out power many younger folks both being on regular carbon or aluminum bikes.

OK, we'll use round numbers.
$7,000 for this bike (+ tax)
Slightly discounted (say $250)
Dealer in UK listed it for $5,873.55 + ship to US is $652.59 ($6,525.92)
Contacted my NJ dealer, he balked to the "mothership" (Trek inside sales), and now the price is £5250.00 ($6798.38)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So much for finding the deal, UK said they would not ship to US anyway.
Point being, how on earth can a US manufactured bike been less than it cost in the US?
I'm sure they got their hand slapped for making it affordable, but that opportunity is now gone.

With that being said, I took it for a spin on Sunday and like it. However, justifying the expense is another story.
I have a SuperCommuter +8S and was considering a change.
However, looking around in the last few weeks, there have been many sales of the SuperCommuter for around $3,000, new and used (a low of $2100 to a high of $4200) . The most recent NEW was $3100!!.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Trek+Super+Commuter++8S&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

So, having the opportunity to search and see where the prices go and are hovering, I think the Domane+ would be a great deal at $5k or slightly more (no more than $5500)

OR, I can ride my SuperCommuter for another year or more and see if the technology gets better.

Just sharing.

Wow- This is insane. If you click this ebay link, there currently an 8S that has a current bid new for $930.00US and another that sold for $2100.00 US. These bikes certainly are not holding their value at all. SC 8S
SC 8S Sold for $2100.00US

The listing you're looking for has ended.

2017 Trek Bikes Super Commuter+ 8S in Viper Red E-bike Commuter Mint Condition
Condition:
Used
Ended:
Apr 25, 2019, 01:50:31 PM PDT
Price:
US $2,100.00

Last edited:
Yes I have the US version. My rear light was installed upside down by my Trek dealer and without the black screw on the top (so it took a sleek custom looking-light and made it look like something aftermarket poorly bolted on). My dealer said he would get the correct part but I have never heard back. Never mind--my excellent eBike shop for the past few years had a black screw that would work and fixed it correctly--and they don't even carry Trek!

I have now put about 750 miles on this baby and continue to think it is the best road ebike out there!

Steve, can I ask that when going up steep hills using either of the top 3 gears do you get a chain rubbing or tinging like noise.
I think it might just be derailleur adjustment, but when bit is up on the stand the chain is very tight on the top ring & when spinning the crank with motor off it has a lot of resistance there until I drop down a few cogs then free’s off.

Back