TREK Domane+ 2019, thoughts, price, issue?

GuruUno

OK, we'll use round numbers.
$7,000 for this bike (+ tax)
Slightly discounted (say $250)
Dealer in UK listed it for $5,873.55 + ship to US is $652.59 ($6,525.92)
Contacted my NJ dealer, he balked to the "mothership" (Trek inside sales), and now the price is £5250.00 ($6798.38)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So much for finding the deal, UK said they would not ship to US anyway.
Point being, how on earth can a US manufactured bike been less than it cost in the US?
I'm sure they got their hand slapped for making it affordable, but that opportunity is now gone.

With that being said, I took it for a spin on Sunday and like it. However, justifying the expense is another story.
I have a SuperCommuter +8S and was considering a change.
However, looking around in the last few weeks, there have been many sales of the SuperCommuter for around $3,000, new and used (a low of $2100 to a high of $4200) . The most recent NEW was $3100!!.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...er++8S&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

So, having the opportunity to search and see where the prices go and are hovering, I think the Domane+ would be a great deal at $5k or slightly more (no more than $5500)

OR, I can ride my SuperCommuter for another year or more and see if the technology gets better.

Just sharing.

Attachments

• TREK Domane+ 2019.jpg
    TREK Domane+ 2019.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,175
OK, we'll use round numbers.
$7,000 for this bike (+ tax)
Slightly discounted (say $250)
Dealer in UK listed it for $5,873.55 + ship to US is $652.59 ($6,525.92)
Contacted my NJ dealer, he balked to the "mothership" (Trek inside sales), and now the price is £5250.00 ($6798.38)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Point being, how on earth can a US manufactured bike been less than it cost in the US?
I'm sure they got their hand slapped for making it affordable, but that opportunity is now gone.

With that being said, I took it for a spin on Sunday and like it. However, justifying the expense is another story.
I have a SuperCommuter +8S and was considering a change.
However, looking around in the last few weeks, there have been many sales of the SuperCommuter for around $3,000, new and used (a low of $2100 to a high of $4200) . The most recent NEW was $3100!!.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Trek+Super+Commuter++8S&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

So, having the opportunity to search and see where the prices go and are hovering, I think the Domane+ would be a great deal at $5k or slightly more (no more than $5500)

OR, I can ride my SuperCommuter for another year or more and see if the technology gets better.

Just sharing.
I was also considering this e road bike , is the best from all e road bikes. Maybe specialized turbo S is the only direct competitor. I am waiting another 6-9months for better tech and longer range battery.

This bike in the EU is dumbed down for that market. The US model has a bigger motor and a 28 mph top speed (it's a Class 3 bike). The EU model tops out at 15.5 mph. I wouldn't buy any ebike made for the EU market because of that speed cap.

I agree, wired rules for Eu. I can go faster than that w/o a motor and my battery lasts the whole day

I have ridden road bikes for 30 years almost exclusively for sport although I did commute 20 miles round trip for a few of those.
Now I am riding the Trek SuperCommuter and love it! My rides are almost always 40 to 70 miles and I carry one or two extra batteries in a very functional Topeak Trunk bag, allowing me to use pretty much any level of support I want.
I rode the new Domane+ and it is a beautiful looking e-bike with the same motor as the SC.
The ride is really nice and the Sram shifting worked really well!
The lights have settings to allow for solid or flashing modes. the bike is considerably lighter than the SC at 38 lbs. and I am sure I would get more range out of a battery but my guess would be 40 to 50 miles (I am 210 lbs) unless you want to work pretty hard in Eco mode.
This bike is so pretty I would not want to add a rack to carry an extra battery which is now longer than the SC battery and could be problematic fitting into a bag. So for me I would be much more range limited.
I have also now become accustomed to the upright position of the SC and would not want to go back to riding in a race bike position.
For the price of the Domane+ I have the SC with two extra batteries!

You'll want US version anyway. It's got a better (IMO) lighting system and it's able to hit 28mph without chip.

Agreed, it's still pretty pricey!

This bike in the EU is dumbed down for that market. The US model has a bigger motor and a 28 mph top speed (it's a Class 3 bike). The EU model tops out at 15.5 mph. I wouldn't buy any ebike made for the EU market because of that speed cap.

It's software limited. But chipping is popular for this generation of Bosch motor. But watch your warranty ;)

Last edited:
Just replaced my second Haibike Race S 6.0 (both with cracked frames in the exact same spot) with the Domane +. What a bike—feels like I am riding a Ferrari compared to the Haibike. The carbon frame produces a much more comfortable ride. So far it looks like this is the exact bike I envisioned having all along but just had to wait for someone to make it!

Attachments

• A3895862-B1DB-4076-985C-A006D7E1F6D6.jpeg
    A3895862-B1DB-4076-985C-A006D7E1F6D6.jpeg
    934.7 KB · Views: 952
Just replaced my second Haibike Race S 6.0 (both with cracked frames in the exact same spot) with the Domane +. What a bike—feels like I am riding a Ferrari compared to the Haibike. The carbon frame produces a much more comfortable ride. So far it looks like this is the exact bike I envisioned having all along but just had to wait for someone to make it!

Wow that’s a pretty bike!
Is that a battery disguised as a water bottle on the seat post?

No that is my tool kit. I hate seatbags and unlike the Haibike Race there mounting spaces for two water bottle cages!

Steve Congratulations , this e road bike is the real deal.
Q- with fast spinning , say 85-90rpm in big ring, does it reach 30-32mph in the highest assist ?

It only has one chainring, the Bosch 20T so equivalent to the large 50T chainring on most road bikes. The assist of course cuts out at 28 mph, but on a flat one can certainly do 30 mph or so if one is strong enough. But the assist will only kick back in when you drop below 28 mph. That said, it’s a lot easier to maintain 28-30 mph than on your own!

Very cool! Nice upgrade to the Nyon display too. Just an observation but the rear light should be flipped (just do it at the hinge, not the saddle rail clamps) so it tucks under the seat better, if you like. Also you can put a different cog on the motor if you want to mess with gearing a little. My powerfly let's me do that.

https://goo.gl/images/3Dfzxx

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment about the light—I see what you mean. I have not paid any attention to it since the dealer installed it.

Tegnamo—just so I understand are you saying unscrew the light at the hinge and flip it 180 degrees? Is that how it is supposed to be?

Attachments

• 306AB019-D84E-4D94-8367-46DA815FCC0D.jpeg
    306AB019-D84E-4D94-8367-46DA815FCC0D.jpeg
    554.7 KB · Views: 645
  • 3CDBDBC2-A2D0-4417-BB4F-F91E84215B76.jpeg
    3CDBDBC2-A2D0-4417-BB4F-F91E84215B76.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 663
Yeah basically. Some additional nuances that are hard to explain in words. I'll find a better photo of the setup tomorrow. Also who's your Trek dealer?

Here is the best photo I could find...

Basically, I think if you flip it at the hinge (you'll have to remove that screw circled in yellow) then you can invert it, but also you can sort of guide the light up and over the saddle rail clamp itself and get the wire to take a good path also (red line). Also looks like you're missing some little rubber piece (blue circle) which maybe seals it better?

Also the bolt holding the light itself to the bracket looks not correct?

Last edited:
Back