Trek 8s with Smartphone Hub and Cobi app

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
For the past 3 months using the Cobi app with the Smartphone Hub has left me very unsatisfied. After owning Giant e-bikes and Specialized, I think Trek and Bosch missed the boat when it comes to this display. First of all, when I get on my bike and go for a ride, I should NOT have to add a phone to see the following basic information:

Speed
Distance
Elapsed Time
Max Speed
Odometer
Cadence
Range
Battery percentage

I should also be able to turn the lights on or off, without having to head to the LBS to enable this feature. These shortcomings are also exacerbated by the fact that the app itself is also lacking, and with the Bosch motor, you can’t pair to a cycling computer, as you can with Giant and Specialized. Sure, I could upgrade to the Kiox or Nyon, but why spend an additional $400 for something that should already be on the bike at this price point? The motor is powerful and the Trek 8s is of high quality, so I will keep the bike, and will use my Garmin Edge 530 with a cadence sensor. Problem solved.

this is more on trek the bosch. I think trek got stuck with the smartphone hubs and had to get rid of them. bosch failed on making it good product.
I did not even get out of the store with it my mechanic took off my Nyon mount of my main bike and slapped it on the trek. soon our tandem will have a nyon mount and all three bikes will share one nyon display.

2 NYON’S on order…I blew my VA check at the LBS. Then looked out and saw a Rivian loaded down with farm supplies.

2 NYON’S on order…I blew my VA check at the LBS. Then looked out and saw a Rivian loaded down with farm supplies.
are both bikes riding at once? otherwise you only need one. I have three bikes that will share one nyon since only one gets ridden at once.

One is my new 7s medium for my friends. One is an exercise physiologist who eats data. The COBI at least gives you some data.
I assume I can setup multiple profiles for my friends…

this is more on trek the bosch. I think trek got stuck with the smartphone hubs and had to get rid of them. bosch failed on making it good product.
I did not even get out of the store with it my mechanic took off my Nyon mount of my main bike and slapped it on the trek. soon our tandem will have a nyon mount and all three bikes will share one nyon display.
I agree....for such a nice bike, the display offered is a huge let down. Maybe for some it is not a big deal, but every time I would get on the bike, and have to place a second phone in there (I refuse to put my daily Samsung on that bracket), just feels odd. I power on my Specialized Vado or Giant Explore, and away I go.

I agree....for such a nice bike, the display offered is a huge let down. Maybe for some it is not a big deal, but every time I would get on the bike, and have to place a second phone in there (I refuse to put my daily Samsung on that bracket), just feels odd. I power on my Specialized Vado or Giant Explore, and away I go.
Yea, I dumped it after the January cobi.bike update (Android), which broke the upload of heart rate and power data to Strava. I contacted Bosch tech support, and you can guess how that went. The problem was never even acknowledged - they just said "reinstall the app".

Has anyone figured out a way to mount a trunk bag on the 8s rack? I am going to ask the LBS if they have any suggestions....not a real fan of panniers, I don't commute enough to justify them.

Has anyone figured out a way to mount a trunk bag on the 8s rack? I am going to ask the LBS if they have any suggestions....not a real fan of panniers, I don't commute enough to justify them.
MIK System Deck and some pipe strapping:
MIK-SYSTEM-DECK_Black_0.jpg
PXL_20220422_164831977.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 80
Back