Bosch Smartphone Hub bracket - JUNK

offthewall

Region
USA
Since I bought my Trek Allant+ 8S, I have been reading about how fragile the phone holder is. Because of that I have been VERY careful and gentle putting my phone in and out of the holder. Well after a few weeks and about 300 miles, it completely broke apart. What an embarrassingly defective design this is! It is shocking that it even lasts a single use. I’m on vacation so I can’t go to the dealer. I ordered a new one on line for $30 but I have zero hope of it lasting for the rest of my vacation.

Contrary to other reports, I find everything else (the app and its integration with Apple’s fitness app, etc) about the Smartphone hub system to be excellent. I am now in search of an alternate mounting method for my phone, which will ever look as clean as the original. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 101
Since I bought my Trek Allant+ 8S, I have been reading about how fragile the phone holder is. Because of that I have been VERY careful and gentle putting my phone in and out of the holder. Well after a few weeks and about 300 miles, it completely broke apart. What an embarrassingly defective design this is! It is shocking that it even lasts a single use. I’m on vacation so I can’t go to the dealer. I ordered a new one on line for $30 but I have zero hope of it lasting for the rest of my vacation.

Contrary to other reports, I find everything else (the app and its integration with Apple’s fitness app, etc) about the Smartphone hub system to be excellent. I am now in search of an alternate mounting method for my phone, which will ever look as clean as the original. :(
you can have mine it was remvoed from the bike before I got it home just postage.

Smartphone Hub is for the Active family of drive units and battery, Smartphone Grip is for the Smartsystem family. Not cross compatible.

As previously mentioned you can trade out the Hub for a Kiox or Nyon and still charge your device and use the app.

R&M is the only brand we sell that equips the Hub as an option, I've only had one mount break (covered under warranty) but we don't sell too many of them compared to Nyon or Kiox options.

Smartphone Hub is for the Active family of drive units and battery, Smartphone Grip is for the Smartsystem family. Not cross compatible.

As previously mentioned you can trade out the Hub for a Kiox or Nyon and still charge your device and use the app.

R&M is the only brand we sell that equips the Hub as an option, I've only had one mount break (covered under warranty) but we don't sell too many of them compared to Nyon or Kiox options.
Are you saying that the non-Smartsystem, like the Allant+ 8S has, can be upgraded to a Kiox 300 with the smartphone grip?

A quick google search for “Bosch smartphone mount” yielded this.

It looks the same, but I don’t know. I’m sure this isn’t an “approved” vendor and Stephen will probably say “no. You must buy from us for $50”. Go Bosch!

Are you saying that the non-Smartsystem, like the Allant+ 8S has, can be upgraded to a Kiox 300 with the smartphone grip?

Nope, I'm saying the opposite. Bosch kept the names the same (or very similar) on their drive units, displays, and batteries so it's easy to mix up. The Kiox, Nyon, and Smartphone Hub share the same wiring harness and can be swapped. The Kiox 300, Purion 100, and Smartphone Grip are all Smartsystem displays.

Nope, I'm saying the opposite. Bosch kept the names the same (or very similar) on their drive units, displays, and batteries so it's easy to mix up. The Kiox, Nyon, and Smartphone Hub share the same wiring harness and can be swapped. The Kiox 300, Purion 100, and Smartphone Grip are all Smartsystem displays.
Thanks, I ’think’ I got it now after google surfing for an hour. :) Looks like a Nyon upgrade is in my future. This SmartphoneHub physical design is a loser,

Just trying this out in the Trek store I almost broke it. The piece came completely out. This was last week so it may have been the new one.

The Peak Design mount is perfect if you want an alternative. I deleted my Kiox 300 for the Flow app and couldn’t be happier.

Just trying this out in the Trek store I almost broke it. The piece came completely out. This was last week so it may have been the new one.

The Peak Design mount is perfect if you want an alternative. I deleted my Kiox 300 for the Flow app and couldn’t be happier.
Yeah, I’ve been looking at the Peak Design and the Quadlock. Both similar in that you have to have a dedicated phone case for them.

If you are brave at wiring things, this works very well. It holds the phone very sturdily.

Kewig Motorcycle Phone Mount with Wireless 15W & USB C 20W Dual Charger, Anti Vibration Motorcycle Phone Holder with Aluminum Alloy Handlebar Mount Base Fit for 4'' - 7.9'' Cellphones https://a.co/d/1DMinnY

Yeah, I’ve been looking at the Peak Design and the Quadlock. Both similar in that you have to have a dedicated phone case for them.
Former Smartphone Hub owner here. Life is better with a Nyon.

I also have the Peak Design system. The case is ridiculously expensive but it is actually a nice case and the mount system is superb. Ive done some traveling in the last month and have had the universal bar mount on 3 or 4 bikes and 1 kayak. I generally don't need the phone on my ebike, but the mount is so convenient that I usually keep the phone on it instead of having it zipped in a pocket or bag.

The case is nice as BlackHand said. I just ordered my wife a peak mount with case adapter since she has an older phone to which they don't make a case.
You didn't ask, but figured I'd make a.. case (bad dum...) for the phone instead of a bike display.

Having access to Google Maps, Komoot, Varia radar, etc. is really nice. The Flow app is impressive as you know, and at least compared to my Kiox 300 has one amazing feature which is it leaves "breadcrumbs" of where you've been (got lost in the woods at night a couple weeks back and totally forgot to utilize this... lol). Maybe Nyon offers that feature too, it seems like a much better display than the Kiox. It's also great to turn off the screen at a push of a button. Really curious to try the Nyon out..

I went with the QuadLock w/dedicated iPhone 14Max case. Removed the cheesy Bosch mount. Works out great. You can still jump on the bike with just the built in display, or simply twist on the iPhone and use the app. The hardest part was getting everything squeezed on the the 31.6mm section of the bars.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2921.jpeg
    IMG_2921.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 145
I went with the QuadLock w/dedicated iPhone 14Max case. Removed the cheesy Bosch mount. Works out great. You can still jump on the bike with just the built in display, or simply twist on the iPhone and use the app. The hardest part was getting everything squeezed on the the 31.6mm section of the bars.
That’s a very neat solution.

I have the Nyon2 hub, which is fine. But do use a QuadLock mount for my iPhone.

DG…

Back