Travelanche ( Exess HP-180 ) question for Pushkar

greeno

Region
USA
City
San Diego
Pushkar a buddy of mine ordered one of your Travelanche (M) frames and 2.3kw motor with the upgrade of course and I am helping him build it up. He rode mine for 5 minutes and ordered his that night.
But back to my question.
HIs motor came with a 44t steel chainring and rockguard but it hits the frames rear triangle and thats not even fit on all the way. I even removed the rockguard and installed the chainring on the outside of the spider and it's still a no go. Is there a spacer that needs to be installed? He has the shallow spider that should be for the 148mm rear end.
Luckily I didn't run into this issue on my ride as I installed a 38t Wolftooth chainring and it doesent extend to the frame itself but after looking at it if I had a larger chainring I would of had the same issue.
The workaround of course is to use a smaller chainring. 38t is ok 40?. Looks like a 4mm spacer might work and still have enough threads for the locknut.
Just wondering if you ran into this problem when you were building and selling these bikes?
Let me know if you get a chance. Will post up a couple pics when I go in the house.

This is my set-up with the 38t
IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

This is my "problem" bike Bare spider support.
IMG_1266.JPG

This pic is after removing the rock guard which was on the outermost side of spider and moving chainring to the farthest out position. Ring not flush and it's hitting the frame so I'm guessing a spacer will be needed to run this 44t set-up.
IMG_1261.JPG

I know building up your own bike has challenges but a motor designed for a specific frame and drivetrain should be able to work or at least a heads up that it won't work out of the box.

I must be missing something here, doesn't make sense to provide something that won't work.
Help me Pushkar.

Last edited:
Then why provide the 44t and rock guard with the motor? I would say don't provide anything but the spider and locking. Along with an explanation as to why and then let the buyer beware. JMO.

The motor kit has the default sprocket that bafang provides on the kit.

We are not able to anticipate every case, sprocket size differences , tire clearances, chain line issues etc unfortunately. We standardize our own bikes, but frame-only builds will have minor hiccups.

That being said, on the hydra we have been able to reduce these issues. So stock bafang sprockets works on them with no issues. We can fit upto a 46T front chainring.

We hope to continue to get better over time.

I had a 39 front tooth stock with my large Travelanche. I put a 42 tooth Wolf Tooth on and it fit fine. I do think a 46 would potentially have clearance issues on my frame so 42 is the biggest I’m gonna try.

I just checked and there appears to be a variation across frames. :(

However, I can fit a 44T on a size medium, but not on the size large frame.
Weird.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
My buddys bike is a medium and the 44t doesent work on his. He’s buying a 4 hole spider with a 104bcd and he has a box of spares chainrings so Im sure we’ll make it work. Pushkar he’s going to contact you about his display the DPC-18 that he got with the motor. He thinks because the motor is wired for front lights his display should be able to turn it on. I told him the photocell on the display is only for screen contrast. Maybe Im wrong. Just a heads up.

Ok. I’ll reach out. You are right the night switch is only for display , not for the lights. The controller had no light power output at the moment.

Back