Trailer For Rad Bike

DaveV

Region
USA
I am a deer hunter in Wisconsin. I hunt a mile back from our deer camp. I am in my mid-70's, so getting to my hunting stands, and more importantly, getting a deer back out of the woods to camp, are becoming increasingly challenging for me. So I am considering an E-bike as an option. I cannot afford the more expensive brands, but I could afford a Rad bike. However, they do not provide an option for a trailer, which I would need to transport a deer out of the woods. Has anyone out there outfitted a Rad bike with a trailer for transporting deer, and if so, how has it worked for you? Any other feedback would be appreciated.

Couple of options

I just ordered this one. It has a 100lb load limit. I plan to use it to haul my ice fishing gear.

I think a lot of your success is going to depend on exactly what kind of conditions you run into. Thought being, we are talking about a bike here, not an ORV. With a RAD, there's no deep reduction gears available to help get you through tough conditions....

I can tell you from personal experience Rads don't like thick wet grass, mud or steep hills. That hub will overheat and go into safe mode quick in harsh conditions. Great bike for city use but not off road. Buy as much power/torque as you can afford for a ebike OR get a second hand gas powered dirt bike/quad.

Thank you for all of your advice. It sounds like the Rad e-bike is not the answer for my needs. Thanks for saving me from future headaches.

Pulling loaded and probably unbalanced trailer over rough terrain is going to mean you're going to get hurt. As the trailer starts to bounce it's going to pull your rear wheel up, giving you less traction.

I had to change up my grocery trailer to balance the milk I get directly over the rear axle. When it would be in the back or the front, it would cause the rear wheel to get squirrely on me. Putting it over the axle resolved that. Problem is, hauling out a deer, there's no good way to balance the weight across the trailer.

Keep that in mind whatever solution you find.

There are a number of excellent trailers designed and used by deer hunters. Google search and pay no attention to nay sayers.
I'd want a 1000W mid-drive like the Bafang BBSH< used on pedicabs, and in this case the bikes I dislike, a steel-frame fat bike.

search

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Last edited:
DaveV I will tell you this, they are a game changer, you can get into spots so quick and quite!
The first time I rode mine hunting it was in the morning and pitch black. The display was so bright I couldn't look down at it. I finally tipped it down at a different angle and that did the trick.
PXL_20220909_171848114.jpg

Tom's pictures (above) sort of reinforce my point. I'm sure you could cope pulling a deer back to camp on a well packed/traveled track. Up out of a gulley, dragging from a swampy area, and a hundred other similar not so well traveled scenarios/areas that come to mind here, probably not so much - not with a geared hub powered bike (like the Rad Rover in question) anyway.

not with a geared hub powered bike (like the Rad Rover in question) anyway.
Exactly. Although there are some 2wd hubs that will do the job, that'll really exceed any budget mentioned here.
I decent steel frame fat bike with a kitted BBSHD would get the job done if geared properly. @m@Robertson ideas for a BBSHD hunting build?

@tomjasz is on the right track with the trailers. Here's a link to the QuietKat game hunting trailer (which does not require a thru-axle on the rear tire to connect to) Link: https://quietkat.com/collections/trailers/products/quietkat-cargo-trailer-2-wheel

There should be enough high quality fat tired bikes on Craigslist, ebay or Facebook Marketplace to begin building your own fat tired ebike. When I say "high quality, fat tired bike, I'm thinking specifically a Specialized Fatboy.......Trek Farley........Surly Moonlander, Ice Cream Truck or Pugsley. You could even add the Motobecane Fantom fatbikes sold by Bikes Direct.

Then, with one of those fatties, seek out people like @tomjasz, @PedalUma or @m@Robertson on which ebike drive and battery to go with. Would not hurt to check those on-line sources mentioned as to whether a purpose built E-Fatbike is for sale.....in that case I'm thinking of the Felt Outfitter, the Haibike FatSix or the Haibike Full FatSix. I personally would not have an issue buying a used Bosch or Yamaha powered fatbike, knowing the service my own Haibike fatty has given me.

Fatness can work with different motors.
I'd not use a BBS01 or BBS02 for hunting and hauling. I just read a series of posts regarding the TSDZ2 crankshaft for the 120MM (FatBike) motor having problems with shaft failure due to circlip groove depth. TSDZ2 hasn't been very popular with Pedicabs.

I would reiterate what has been said above: Deer trailers and fat bikes are far from a new or unique thing and they work just fine. Of course terrain is an issue but you simply need to make a point of never riding into country you can't ride back out of with a buck loaded on the back.

This job is one where I would never take half measures: You need the grunt of a BBSHD, and more importantly its overbuilt durability. Stay away from the lighter duty motors. This the last place where you'd want to find a motor's limitations.

To build your own, any chromoly fat bike frame will do. In particular the Mongoose Dolomite. Available for $260 as a complete bike on Amazon. Buy that, put a motor on it and then upgrade everything piece by piece as soon as you can afford to. Starting with the brakes and drivetrain. For a budget build the Microshift Advent 9-speed long cage derailleur, matching shifter and their steel 11-46T rear cluster would be ideal.

In an ideal world a 2wd bike with a BBSHD powering the back wheel is going to be head-and-shoulders over any other option. But that is a major project not suited for a beginning builder unless they are very much mechanically inclined. The only 2wd commercially sold bikes I know of are, to put it indelicately, garbage. High on price and low on features. I'll skip the specifics of why unless someone is interested (I would not lump the Christini bikes into the garbage category but they are very different animals that shift power from wheel to wheel and do not power both simultaneously).

From my own garage, here's what I would be using, although that ti frame would get swapped out. Believe it or not I have one from the same manufacturer in chromoly. The orange one below. Also a 2wd bike, but twin hubs. Maybe what I would do is just swap the motor and back wheel from one to the other.

IMG_20200911_153242.jpg
IMG_20190405_181939.jpg

Last edited:
My Yak6 trailer is rated for 35kgs but I'm not sure I'd want to ride offroad with this much onboard. Bike handling is bit wiggly at low speed with heavy loads. High powered motor isn't essential just a 75-90nm middrive with low gearing. 11-46t cassette and 34-38t chainring. Walk mode is a must as this help in tight situations where riding isn't practical.

Look for some cheap 2nd hand hardtail eMTBs with Bosch, Shimano, Brose motor in this power range. Suspension quality doesn't matter. Can be 9spd just allow few $100 to replace drivetrain. While I'm fan of Shimano drivetrains some of cheap chinese ones would do trick.
These bikes will be running 2.35-2.8" tires which are perfectly fine for job just allow $100 to upgrade them to most aggressive eMtB tire you can fit. A stiff casing on rear tire is good idea to help carry extra load.
Brakes may also need upgrading to 200mm rotors.

NB none of these upgrades maybe necessary if terrain isn't to steep. Be case of try as is and decide then what you need to change.

This was my first hunting bike,
It has some minor quirks to it but overall it was pretty good tractor! I hauled a couple deer and I pulled my flipover ice house out on the lake through snow with ease.
I give it a 7 out of 10.

This was my first hunting bike,
It has some minor quirks to it but overall it was pretty good tractor! I hauled a couple deer and I pulled my flipover ice house out on the lake through snow with ease.
I give it a 7 out of 10.

Is that a BBS02 inside a housing?

Back