Tour de “e” France

You know that thing where people look at you on your ebike and say "that's cheating!". Ebike racing does sound like there are many more opportunities for cheating. I sort-of get the eMTB race where they set a highly technical course that genuinely tests the rider's skill. And then there is the pro roadbike thing where the peleton is moving at 52kph - and the bikes have a Euro speed cutoff of 27kph. So they're just riding heavy bikes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know that thing where people look at you on your ebike and say "that's cheating!". Ebike racing does sound like there are many more opportunities for cheating. I sort-of get the eMTB race where they set a highly technical course that genuinely tests the rider's skill. And then there is the pro roadbike thing where the peleton is moving at 52kph - and the bikes have a Euro speed cutoff of 27kph. So they're just riding heavy bikes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same answer. Grand Prix started the same way. Will be all worked up...

I just don't see it. What would be the draw? Silent eBikes that are built to formula specs? I'm trying to figure out how a riders physical conditioning figures in. eMotorcycles , already trying too find their way, seem much more likely, even though they are having problems with acceptance ( read that as profitable)

There may be a way to do it, but to me it makes more sense for ebikes to participate in fundraising rides that are not competitive, like the Tour de Natchez Trace. Not necessarily that, but something like it. The Tour de Natchez Trace was a pretty big deal for a few years but has been on hiatus for the last two or three years. The Natchez Trace is a great place to ride in the centralsouthern US and you don't have to do all 444 miles. I'm sure there are other venues and other rides that are more or less the same concept.

The Tour de Natchez was an all analog bike ride, but there's no reason, other than folk's biases, that e-bikes couldn't be included. (That much better for the fund raising aspect, of course.) Since it's not competitive, there wouldn't even need to be analog/e-bike or age divisions but I guess there could be. There could be more participants since people not otherwise able to ride over 400 miles could join in.

TT

So many power configurations on ebikes that it would be nigh on impossible to come up with a fair system of handicapping to equalize for fair race results.

Easy... just give everyone the same number of electrons before each race! ;)

EV premium electron fuel2.jpg
1600646504597.png

Last edited:
There has been eBikes at the Tour de France already. https://www.velonews.com/news/road/cbs-news-12-riders-used-motorized-bikes-in-the-2015-tour/
Now they x-ray and thermal camera check racing bikes for "mechanical doping".
They race at distances over 100 miles per day, and get up to 45-50mph in sprints and down the mountains of course. Over 2,100 miles for the event. It would really take a stack of batteries for ebikes to match that performance.
Or recharge like cars get fuel in Grand Prix. This will motivate ebike manufacturers to improve things...batteries, chargers,...

Or recharge like cars get fuel in Grand Prix. This will motivate ebike manufacturers to improve things...batteries, chargers,...
Up until the 2018 season, Formula-E drivers would swap cars in the middle of the race instead of swapping or charging battery packs. I can't imagine the fans would like an hour pit stop to get a recharge as you suggest.

Up until the 2018 season, Formula-E drivers would swap cars in the middle of the race instead of swapping or charging battery packs. I can't imagine the fans would like an hour pit stop to get a recharge as you suggest.
Manufacturers will be motivated to make better batteries and faster chargers. Think out of the box. This is how things start.
All these were issues at the beginning of NASCAR, Grand Prix, Formula 1,....
I am not suggesting anything. Simply saying all is possible. Evolution...

Manufacturers will be motivated to make better batteries and faster chargers. Think out of the box. This is how things start.
All these were issues at the beginning of NASCAR, Grand Prix, Formula 1,....
I am not suggesting anything. Simply saying all is possible. Evolution...
All is possible? You're saying a 15 second charge to full capacity will be possible in the future? Right now a Formula 1 pit stop is less than 4 seconds. I think a lightning bolt will be needed for that kind of out of the box charging.

Hilarious!
Just remember all new technologies, discoveries, inventions, new things,...had many nay sayers who never believed in possibilities.
I think we will have ebike road race some day not too distance.
The small details will be worked out by evolution. 😄

Just remember all new technologies, discoveries, inventions, new things,...had many nay sayers who never believed in possibilities.
I think we will have ebike road race some day not too distance.
The small details will be worked out by evolution. 😄
How would you define an e-bike for the purpose of one of these races? It's too easy for me to imagine 1000 horsepower electric motorcycles with pedals stuck on the sides.

TT

Back