ToughRoad GX E+

Hey Redviggen! I own a 2018, but it‘s a USA version and I have learned that there are some differences between us - well, as far as bikes go anyhow!

Mine has three assist levels, Eco, Normal and Power. 2019 introduced the fourth and I believe relabeled all of them. Some come with a 42 tooth crank, some with a 48, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of logic behind that either. 42 climbs stronger, but either way it knows what to do with a hill.

Regardless, it’s a hell of a nice bike and very well named. I just pounded mine up my favorite steep washed out gravel trail again - didn’t make it this time without having to step off in a particularly deep rut - and I’ll tell you, this thing is a solid piece of equipment.

I’d be a tiny bit concerned about the Large size, you have to really try it out carefully with regard to riding on the hoods or leaning further out in the drops. It’s a pretty long bike anyway. If it’s too big, then it’s too big and you have to go cough up for a Revolt and suffer with the smaller battery thing... if it fits, grab it.

Just came back from checking it out. You were right. It actually did feel big. I'm not sure why. Maybe because of a multitude of factors, coming from a road bike with skinny tires, and a steeper head tube angle, different geometry, much shorter wheelbase... So I'm not sure. But looking at how much I had to set the seat height to test ride it was probably not excessively large. It was probably on par with the handle bar height. Reach was probably slightly farther than what I'm used to. Maybe a shorter stem will fit that?

Sizing aside, bike felt really good. I think it was actually a 2019 with 5 assist levels. I couldn't connect to app because it said bike firmware needed to be updated. Also, he had a delimiter chip installed! It was super easy to each 32kph. This is really the first ebike I tried. LoL... First time using an SRAM shifter, it's really much simpler than Shimano.

I need to sleep on it. About the size. Maybe changing to slick tires like a 36 or 32 and slightly shorter stem, it will feel better and make it feel more responsive and tone down that "largeness" feeling.

Funny about the sizing. I’m about to buy a second bike - not to replace mine, but as a backup since if I don’t get one soon, I might not be able to at all, and by next year I expect the prices will be rocketing up. Different model, I’m going to go ride a medium, and I’m concerned it might be a teeny bit too small! However, it’s what’s available. We’ll see.

I fell in love with that SRAM shifting the first time I rode mine. It will be a little strange if the new one is Shimano, having to go back and forth all the time. First world problems.

Funny about the sizing. I’m about to buy a second bike - not to replace mine, but as a backup since if I don’t get one soon, I might not be able to at all, and by next year I expect the prices will be rocketing up. Different model, I’m going to go ride a medium, and I’m concerned it might be a teeny bit too small! However, it’s what’s available. We’ll see.

I fell in love with that SRAM shifting the first time I rode mine. It will be a little strange if the new one is Shimano, having to go back and forth all the time. First world problems.

Haha... If the border was open we could meet up and swap.... LoL...

First ride to work.
Mother nature put it to the test. It was super windy. Riding across the bridge I couldn't even look straight wind gusts were so strong. LoL
Needless to say the motor provided enough power to get through it.

I noticed something. Looks like the Q factor is quite large. It's hurting my knees a bit. Any of you guys ever looked into changing the pedals? I measured about 195mm vs 145mm on my road bike.... It's a huge difference.

Looks like there's enough clearance to the motor to make it narrower

Last edited:
Congrats on the new bike. I think you'll like it alot. I didn't notice any issues with knee pain going from any of my other bikes to the toughroad. Perhaps it was just because it is a new bike and you had to struggle with the wind. Adds stress and you are still trying it out.

You may have to try a few changes to get the perfect fit as well. I'm 6'1 and still find the L a stretch. It is long on the top. I switched my handlebars out for the Ritchey Ergo 46cm to allow for better handling offroad. The added benifit to that is about 3/4" more relaxed geometry over the stock bars.

First ride to work.
Mother nature put it to the test. It was super windy. Riding across the bridge I couldn't even look straight wind gusts were so strong. LoL
Needless to say the motor provided enough power to get through it.

I noticed something. Looks like the Q factor is quite large. It's hurting my knees a bit. Any of you guys ever looked into changing the pedals? I measured about 195mm vs 145mm on my road bike.... It's a huge difference.

Looks like there's enough clearance to the motor to make it narrower

View attachment 61252
I went to flat pedals on my Toughroad. First time in years not clipped in. I actually enjoy is more having the versatility of moving my feet around a bit to alleviate the same pedal arc stresses. Still use cycling shoes for the stiffness but like the extra movement

I went to flat pedals on my Toughroad. First time in years not clipped in. I actually enjoy is more having the versatility of moving my feet around a bit to alleviate the same pedal arc stresses. Still use cycling shoes for the stiffness but like the extra movement

even with flat pedals, I think it still wouldn't be enough and my shoes will keep rubbing the cranks...

Looking to buy a used toughroad. I'm confused regarding 2018 vs 2019. I'm in Canada.
I saw an ad that says 2018 model but has 5 assist levels. Is this because of a firmware update? Does that mean this will work with the Ridecontrol app on the phone?
What other differences were there vs. 2019?

Mine is 2018 Canadian model. It did come with 5 assist mode. But 2018 model controller can NOT be used with your smartphone.

So a update my issue(s).

Replacement controller & motor have arrived and been replaced into my bike.
But it is not the exact same parts, I would assume it may not be the newest but newer than original parts.

With the older electronic, it had Eco, Basic, Active, Sport, Turbo?(power? can't remember). Also, walk mode is operated by simply selecting whatever assist mode I wanted and pressing + holding down walk mode. Also, I do not have to hold power button down as long to power off.
With this new replacement electronics, it has Eco, Eco+, Normal, Sport, Sport+. Walk mode is operated by selecting assist mode FIRST, than single press of walk mode displays horizontal animated bar, at this point I press and hold UP button to get walk mode going.
Finally, it now work with Giant RideControl app. This is when I found out that electronics are from a mountain bike as app is showing a picture of mountain bike, not my toughroad gx e+ drop bar. But I don't care as long as I got my bike back & working after over a month in waiting.

Upon reading about Giant SyncDrive. My old motor was SyncDrive Sport, replacement is Sport as well but Support assist mode description is maping with SyncDrive Life. Hmm... maybe the Bike shop mix matched Sport motor + Life controller.

Last edited:
So a update my issue(s).

Replacement controller & motor have arrived and been replaced into my bike.
But it is not the exact same parts, I would assume it may not be the newest but newer than original parts.

With the older electronic, it had Eco, Basic, Active, Sport, Turbo?(power? can't remember). Also, walk mode is operated by simply selecting whatever assist mode I wanted and pressing + holding down walk mode. Also, I do not have to hold power button down as long to power off.
With this new replacement electronics, it has Eco, Eco+, Normal, Sport, Sport+. Walk mode is operated by selecting assist mode FIRST, than single press of walk mode displays horizontal animated bar, at this point I press and hold UP button to get walk mode going.
Finally, it now work with Giant RideControl app. This is when I found out that electronics are from a mountain bike as app is showing a picture of mountain bike, not my toughroad gx e+ drop bar. But I don't care as long as I got my bike back & working after over a month in waiting.

My toughroad behaves exactly as you describe it. I'm guessing mine is a 2019.
Before I did the firmware update, the walk mode could be activated by just pressing on wall button. Now it's like yours, walk then +....

App doesn't really work for me. I suspect it's because I have a speedbox installed.
I don't mind that anymore as it is so much fun with the speedbox. LoL....

I also replaced the tires with gravel king SK 700x35. What a difference! This thing flies now, and it's also much more comfortable than the stock 50s! Softer rubber makes a difference. I probably saved about 1kg of weight as well.

Had a hiccup last week. The motor mounting bolts were starting to get loose. I also noticed the motor was not a tight fit to the frame. I made some plastic washers to make up the gap and torqued them down. All good now. If it comes loose again, will have to use some loctite...

My toughroad behaves exactly as you describe it. I'm guessing mine is a 2019.
Before I did the firmware update, the walk mode could be activated by just pressing on wall button. Now it's like yours, walk then +....

App doesn't really work for me. I suspect it's because I have a speedbox installed.
I don't mind that anymore as it is so much fun with the speedbox. LoL....

I also replaced the tires with gravel king SK 700x35. What a difference! This thing flies now, and it's also much more comfortable than the stock 50s! Softer rubber makes a difference. I probably saved about 1kg of weight as well.

Had a hiccup last week. The motor mounting bolts were starting to get loose. I also noticed the motor was not a tight fit to the frame. I made some plastic washers to make up the gap and torqued them down. All good now. If it comes loose again, will have to use some loctite...

Yous is tuned :( cheater! haha
Perhaps I should consider swapping tires in future.

Yous is tuned :( cheater! haha
Perhaps I should consider swapping tires in future.

Haha well, I have to say, after 2 weeks, I'm already starting to loose weight. I'd say I'm getting just the right amount of workout.

Funny thing. My coworker is still doing a higher average speed on his daily commute which is also longer than mine, and... He's on a regular road bike!

Haha well, I have to say, after 2 weeks, I'm already starting to loose weight. I'd say I'm getting just the right amount of workout.

Funny thing. My coworker is still doing a higher average speed on his daily commute which is also longer than mine, and... He's on a regular road bike!

Only thing that matter to us e-bikers is that... we feel like a superman... at least for the range we can get out of.

Have Fun :D
Cheers!

Question about tubes.

For those using factory 700x50C tires, what replacement/spare tubes do you have? I can't seem to find anything in this size? or is there a 29er compatible tube?

Question about tubes.

For those using factory 700x50C tires, what replacement/spare tubes do you have? I can't seem to find anything in this size? or is there a 29er compatible tube?

You can use tubes smaller as well. When I removed the factory tube I was surprised it was something like 700x32-40.... Not even 50... LoL.
I didn't have any tubes at the time of that size so I used a 700x23-32 what they sell at decathlon. And it was fine.... they also sell 35-45 as well from what I can see on the website. No stock might be an issue though.

You can check for tubes on amazon as well.

Btw. I just went tubeless yesterday and it's awesome!

On another note... I took apart the motor yesterday. Cleaned out some dirt. Around the bearings. I think that's what was causing some noise I had when I put a lot of torque on the pedal... Seems like noise is gone now after reassembly. :)
I have to say the sealing of the motor is pretty bad. So don't ride in the rain. Like I did...

Last edited:
The ToughRoad wheels and tires are tubeless ready. Makes life so much easier given the sort of terrain I find myself on with it.

Hopefully, you don’t. The sealant will try like hell to close small cuts and punctures.

Find the place the sealant is leaking from and rotate the tire so it’s at the bottom. Bounce the bike or tire just a little and let it sit that way for a few minutes and see if it seals.

If it can’t, you get out your Stans Dart kit, find the hole and punch one or more darts into it. The Stans stuff actually reacts with their sealant and again tries to form a permanent bond.

Pump the tire up again or use a CO2 cannister to fill it. In most cases, you’re back in business in just a few minutes.

If the problem is too big for the sealant and/or punch fix, take the tire off and install the spare tube that you always carry. You need to remove the Presta valve so the tube valve can use the hole in the wheel. Pump it up or CO2 again.

If the sidewall has a significant cut in it, the Tire Boot trick comes into play. The easiest way to do this is take a dollar bill, wrap it around the tube you’re installing and position it so it will be at the cut, and once it’s all pumped up again the fabric of the bill will keep the tube from pushing through the tire.

All this is off the top of my head from memory, so I am certain I am forgetting or ignoring various steps, but that’s the jist of it. There are many, many how to videos on You Tube about emergency repairs. Park Tool, Stans, and Seth’s Bike Hacks - the gold standard, I’d say - all have lots of videos on this stuff. I have sat by the side of the road and reviewed a video on spoke repair before getting out my Fiberfix spoke.

Really, I have had great luck since going tubeless on my ToughRoad and the Trek I had before that. Bad luck can always strike, but I ride over some awful stuff in the woods around here and so far have gotten away with it.

And Stan’s isn’t the only game in town, but it’s a damn good one. Check their website for the Dart system.

Back