ToughRoad GX E+

While we’re here, so to speak, I bought a Yamaha Civante road ebike a couple of months ago as a spare and alternate source of entertainment, to go along with my ToughRoad.

I like it a lot. It’s fast, super smooth, and very different. But I’ll be damned if one of the biggest impressions it has made on me has been to remind me how much I love that ToughRoad. It is one great Do It All machine, and it’s such a blast to ride. I count myself super fortunate to be able to go out into the garage in the morning and pick the bike I want for whatever ride I have in mind that day.

In the three years I have been running tubeless on my drop bar eBikes I have had three flats. One was a 2" construction screw in a brand new 45c tire setup with a fresh load of sealant. I unscrewed it and spun the wheel a bit then added air and then spun it some more. Added air to proper psi and ended up riding it for about a month until the "plug" blew out, luckily close to home.

The second was a double flat on a chunky logging road with 40c tires, once again a new setup with a fresh load of sealant. They were small, not obvious holes so luckily there was a puddle near by that helped me locate them. Followed the same procedure as before and continued on my way.

Moral of the story as I see it is that it helps to have some fresh sealant in the tire at all times and don't forget your pump. I find that adding an oz. or so once every few months to work well. Otherwise I much prefer tubeless especially as it allows me to run lower psi for more traction and compliance reliably over running tubes.

Hopefully, you don’t. The sealant will try like hell to close small cuts and punctures.

Find the place the sealant is leaking from and rotate the tire so it’s at the bottom. Bounce the bike or tire just a little and let it sit that way for a few minutes and see if it seals.

If it can’t, you get out your Stans Dart kit, find the hole and punch one or more darts into it. The Stans stuff actually reacts with their sealant and again tries to form a permanent bond.

Pump the tire up again or use a CO2 cannister to fill it. In most cases, you’re back in business in just a few minutes.

If the problem is too big for the sealant and/or punch fix, take the tire off and install the spare tube that you always carry. You need to remove the Presta valve so the tube valve can use the hole in the wheel. Pump it up or CO2 again.

If the sidewall has a significant cut in it, the Tire Boot trick comes into play. The easiest way to do this is take a dollar bill, wrap it around the tube you’re installing and position it so it will be at the cut, and once it’s all pumped up again the fabric of the bill will keep the tube from pushing through the tire.

All this is off the top of my head from memory, so I am certain I am forgetting or ignoring various steps, but that’s the jist of it. There are many, many how to videos on You Tube about emergency repairs. Park Tool, Stans, and Seth’s Bike Hacks - the gold standard, I’d say - all have lots of videos on this stuff. I have sat by the side of the road and reviewed a video on spoke repair before getting out my Fiberfix spoke.

Really, I have had great luck since going tubeless on my ToughRoad and the Trek I had before that. Bad luck can always strike, but I ride over some awful stuff in the woods around here and so far have gotten away with it.

And Stan’s isn’t the only game in town, but it’s a damn good one. Check their website for the Dart system.
Thanks Dave, a lot of good information. Had my first flat on Saturday with my Toughroad and it got me thinking. Swapping in a new tube was easy, but I had no idea what you do if you are tubeless.

No worries! One other little thing I forgot to mention - until I was reminded of it the next day with my own flat - is the little adapter that you can buy that screws on to your valve stem and makes it useable by any air pump at good old Stewarts! I keep it in my bag all the time.

I have a smallish pump on the bike and usually a can or two of CO2, but it’s pretty quick to top up the repair using that adapter. Mine actually came with the Yamaha bike I recently bought, which I thought was a nice touch.

Yesterday’s repair was therefore what I call a Level 2 repair... I checked it at 2 Stewarts on the way home. Anyone living in northern NY or western Vermont knows what I’m talking about.

Ride on! Getting a little too warm this weekend, but it ain’t snowing, so all good.

I love my toughroad E+ bike. mine is a 2018 so one of the first one that isnt compatible with the app. I m having issue with mine currently. Power is cutting off very randomly and many times in a ride. It usually ok for the first 20-40min and then it starts. I usually will get a error message, either

-energypak error
-syncdrive error, no power support, then the control will go black.

I can turn the screen on again but if put the assistance on.... it stop. If i keep riding with the screen on but motor off.... screen stay on.

very strange and the bike as been so reliable for 1.5 year but now... it just isnt and will stop on each rides. The only thing i can think of is perhaps some water as go in the head unit as there was condensation in it a few times.

anyone as a idea? i dont have a dealer near me so this is annoying...

I love my toughroad E+ bike. mine is a 2018 so one of the first one that isnt compatible with the app. I m having issue with mine currently. Power is cutting off very randomly and many times in a ride. It usually ok for the first 20-40min and then it starts. I usually will get a error message, either

-energypak error
-syncdrive error, no power support, then the control will go black.

I can turn the screen on again but if put the assistance on.... it stop. If i keep riding with the screen on but motor off.... screen stay on.

very strange and the bike as been so reliable for 1.5 year but now... it just isnt and will stop on each rides. The only thing i can think of is perhaps some water as go in the head unit as there was condensation in it a few times.

anyone as a idea? i dont have a dealer near me so this is annoying...
I also have a 2018 model which I bought end of 2019, so didn't really ride until 2020 spring.

Yeah, it was annoying that it wasn't compatible with the app to modify the settings.
Anyways, with less than 200KM my motor?control?electronic had issues where regardless of assist level it had same power output, walk mode stopped working.
Since 2 year warranty is from purchase date, I took it back to the shop (authorized Giant), they tried to flash the firmware which did not fix the issue. Eventually I had to wait about 3 weeks for them to get a replacement control unit/ motor from Vancouver. Now all is well, I can even connect to the app now because they replaced it with a parts from one of the MTB E-bike.

I say get the warranty service done if you haven't so. May be you have done it already since your post was from 2 months ago.

Does anyone have a parts list for this bike? Looking to get some parts number for rear brake caliper.

I also have a 2018 model which I bought end of 2019, so didn't really ride until 2020 spring.

Yeah, it was annoying that it wasn't compatible with the app to modify the settings.
Anyways, with less than 200KM my motor?control?electronic had issues where regardless of assist level it had same power output, walk mode stopped working.
Since 2 year warranty is from purchase date, I took it back to the shop (authorized Giant), they tried to flash the firmware which did not fix the issue. Eventually I had to wait about 3 weeks for them to get a replacement control unit/ motor from Vancouver. Now all is well, I can even connect to the app now because they replaced it with a parts from one of the MTB E-bike.

I say get the warranty service done if you haven't so. May be you have done it already since your post was from 2 months ago.

yes, i have process warranty and they changed the head unit. now like you, i can use the app. That said, it as not solve all my problem. now, my battery seems to have lost some of it s duration...the last 20% of the battery only last 2-3 miles when the first 80% will do close to 90miles.

with all this said, this bike is amazing and i love it so much!

I’ve been a victim of that last 20% thing as long as I’ve had my 2018 Toughroad. I learned a long time ago that 25% means Find A Plug. However, the range to get to that point is really good.

I didn’t know I could change the head unit and gain access to the app, but I think at this point if it ain’t broke, I won’t fix it. I am heading for 6000 miles in a month or so on this bike and still consider it the best bike I’ve had. If it was to go away, I would get a Revolt in a heartbeat, if they’ve gotten around to replacing that smaller battery with a 500 yet.

I’ve been a victim of that last 20% thing as long as I’ve had my 2018 Toughroad. I learned a long time ago that 25% means Find A Plug. However, the range to get to that point is really good.

I didn’t know I could change the head unit and gain access to the app, but I think at this point if it ain’t broke, I won’t fix it. I am heading for 6000 miles in a month or so on this bike and still consider it the best bike I’ve had. If it was to go away, I would get a Revolt in a heartbeat, if they’ve gotten around to replacing that smaller battery with a 500 yet.

the nice part about the app is it allow you to tune the motor to different assistance level. i tune mine down a little as even the second level is usually too much assistance with my athletes riding normal bikes. but range wise, i get about 100 miles on a full charge staying in eco mode and skinny tires.

the nice part about the app is it allow you to tune the motor to different assistance level. i tune mine down a little as even the second level is usually too much assistance with my athletes riding normal bikes. but range wise, i get about 100 miles on a full charge staying in eco mode and skinny tires.
I also just tuned all my levels down. I found eco was fine for most of my riding. Eco+ and normal both were just a little more assistance than I wanted. I do like to ride and still feel like I got some good exercise. I have not ridden far enough yet this year to see if it extends my range.

I know this is a longshot, but if anybody happens to be trying to sell one of these. Specifically a 2019 model in large or medium, please contact me as I’m looking for one. I love this bike!!
If you're located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, might be able to work something out (M).

Does anyone know the Derailleur Hanger part number or a compatible parts number?
Thank you.

Oh great...
Motor is making a grinding noise now.
Anyone had any experience with motor servicing in Canada via Giant shop? What a timing... few months after warranty is over.

Back