Torque upgrade on Active Line

johnd12

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
Hello

Is it possible through a software upgrade to increase the torque?
I have 2020 Townie 8i.It has 40 Nm but I'd be happy to get it to 50 NM.
I am also thinking of changing the gearing as an option or having a new motor swapped in if it's possible and it's not priced ridiculously.
The bike has the Nexus internal hub.

Thank you

It is a Gen3, right? Yes, these 40Nm motors are kinda weak, but that is to protect the Nexus.
However, I have a bike with a Nexus where I tried the Performance (65Nm) line and it works well. You just don't want to yank the gears while pedaling in Turbo.
So you can get an unconfigured motor reasonably priced, but you would need someone to put the software on it and configure it right.
Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Hello

Is it possible through a software upgrade to increase the torque?
I have 2020 Townie 8i.It has 40 Nm but I'd be happy to get it to 50 NM.
I am also thinking of changing the gearing as an option or having a new motor swapped in if it's possible and it's not priced ridiculously.
The bike has the Nexus internal hub.

Thank you

Howdy! There is not a torque upgrade designed for these drive units.

Right, not for the motor, but replacing that motor with the Performance Line is a torque upgrade for the bike.

We do not authorize the "upgrade" of any drive unit on a bike after sale.
But I do 😆
As this is the Wild West without any laws, I upgrade and modify the s#!^ out of the Bosch motors, which works just great.
I would not ride my bikes in EU like that because they actually enforce the law.
Here no one cares.

Saves a lot of time if you ride more than many people even do with the car.
1693422015959.png

Last edited:
When Bosch CX2 25kmhr motor failed just out of warranty wouldn't replace it with 32kmh version even though there is no speed restrictions on ebikes here. Thank goodness for dongles.

When Bosch CX2 25kmhr motor failed just out of warranty wouldn't replace it with 32kmh version even though there is no speed restrictions on ebikes here. Thank goodness for dongles.
If you could get a brand new US CX motor for 400€ or a 25km/h CX for 600€, you would still get the 25?
Hard to believe. The US versions work well with the dongles, too.

The only downside of the US motors is, that they are considered S-Pedelecs in the Nyon routing. That sucks because it is skipping the bike paths (which are rare in the US anyway). But I use the komoot premium, that takes care of it.

If you could get a brand new US CX motor for 400€ or a 25km/h CX for 600€, you would still get the 25?
Hard to believe. The US versions work well with the dongles, too.

The only downside of the US motors is, that they are considered S-Pedelecs in the Nyon routing. That sucks because it is skipping the bike paths (which are rare in the US anyway). But I use the komoot premium, that takes care of it.
If I did it again which ever is cheaper with dongle. Next time x3 dongle with 25kmhr or x2 with 32kmhr version as need to do about 55kmh to mix it with traffic. Bosch 25kmh cutout is more like 23kmh when measured against gps. Most of time on cycleways or side of road doing <40kmhr with short 50kmh bursts to merge with traffic.

No matter how fast I go some drivers see bike a think must pass. Even if I'm doing 55-60kmh in built up area and there is traffic in front of me.

When it comes to offroad or touring 25kmh is fine.

I upgraded another bike on the weekend from Active Line Gen3 to Performance Line Gen3.
The difference between 40Nm and 65Nm is really huge. He was so happy with his "new" bike :)

I upgraded another bike on the weekend from Active Line Gen3 to Performance Line Gen3.
The difference between 40Nm and 65Nm is really huge. He was so happy with his "new" bike :)
Thought Bosch kept tight control on their spare motors. Wouldn't supply one without information on bike it was being fitted to and demanded old motor back.

Thought Bosch kept tight control on their spare motors. Wouldn't supply one without information on bike it was being fitted to and demanded old motor back.
you can buy some of the motors online but you would need a mechanic to do the setup of the software unless who is selling it is willing to do it.

I always thought Mechanics to mechanical work and Software Engineers work on the software 😂
The Mechanic I know, does not even know how to install the Bosch Diagnostic Software on a computer.

They do.
mine must be spoiled he does it all. he got me my motor replacement when my rusted out.

mine must be spoiled he does it all. he got me my motor replacement when my rusted out.
In that case, he doesn't even have to connect it to the computer at all. Just do the mechanical part. Which is taking the old motor out and putting the new one in. The new one comes fully configured just as the old one he sent in.

In that case, he doesn't even have to connect it to the computer at all. Just do the mechanical part. Which is taking the old motor out and putting the new one in. The new one comes fully configured just as the old one he sent in.
he has added extra batteries to the tandem and had to build the extra battery mount on my trek from scratch. poor guy right after he did it trek started selling the kit without the battery.

Back