top picks of ebikes by type

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania

Above is Wired list of ebikes. I thought there was a thread of top ebikes lists on here but I can't anything but Courts lists now, so if you see some others feel free to post a link

This is getting older now, but came to mind when you mentioned "other lists".

I watch some of the guys on YouTube who get sent new ebikes to gush over. There seems to be a flood of Chinese ebikes in the 20 inch RadRunner/Lectric XP mold. Also new Chinese ebikes in the Rover mold. The RR doesn't fold. I have no experience. I don't know if it is a moped experience or what. I bought the Lectric XP Step-through last week (it's on the list), because it folds and is easy to step into. But they are now in stock and there is a small price cut and some nice extras. One of the Chinese companies has a 20% discount on these fat folders, plus some sort of coupon. It would be tough to make a list. The RadRunner is a different experience from the standard commuter ebike. The Himiway Explorer seems to step things up a notch but it is very heavy for a 20 inch ebike, not a folding design. But I'd say it's a pretty good list, just for discussion. I don't think you can leave all the Chinese stuff off the list. And, gee, where do Rad and Lectric get their ebikes?

I find most lists of “best ebikes” to be useless. They are just someone else’s personal view of what’s “best”. I do enjoy reading and watching various reviews of ebikes but only in the types that interest ’me. As from a post from above, don’t get “Butt Hurt” because your ebike isn’t mentioned in the lists😏

These best of lists always do the same in that they take one bike in each segment and move to the next. What I’d like to see is to take a segment and compare 5 or 10 bikes and pick what they think is the best. Someone shopping for a bike narrows it down to the type they want and want that critiqued. If I’m looking for a cruiser I don’t care what the best foldable is. But I have my bike and am happy with it.

Speaking of crusers and folders, I liked that the Wired list showed a range on folders, from the under a grand XP to the really expensive ME-1. I ride a great cruser, but keep looking at folders ... N+1 ?

Above is Wired list of ebikes. I thought there was a thread of top ebikes lists on here but I can't anything but Courts lists now, so if you see some others feel free to post a link
Is this the EBR list you're thinking of? It's updated (roughly?) yearly...

Nope. I'd seen that list on the main site, but I thought there was a thread of other people's picks . But that EBR one certainly should be included as you say, it's updated. Thanks.

Arggh! These lists are so frustrating!

I get it, it's just the nature of the beast-- shopping for an e-Bike is more complicated and, for most of us mortals, requires more research than buying a guitar, camera, or even a car, IMHO.

But I can't help reading this and thinking what I thought 14 months ago: It's astounding that no one provides a list of eMTBs under $4,000 and and under 50 pounds. I can't believe I'm the only person who cares about those two particular data points. (I'm sure others feel the same way about the metrics that were important to them.)

If Wired or anyone else feels compelled to publish a list, how about starting with a disclaimer: Explain that the drive systems are very different and go over the different types -- hub drives with gears, hub drives without gears, front hub drives, mid drives with torque sensors, mid-drives without torque sensors.

Then explain why watts and torque are very confusing metrics, and do not explain how much assistance you have or how fast the bike will go under different circumstances.

Then take Nash's approach, (or EBRs) and provide your favorite examples of each category.

Also: This sentence really annoyed me: "When you're carrying kids to school or flying down a hill at 25 mph with only a helmet for protection, you want a ride you can trust." Many of us go quite a bit faster than 25 MPH downhill. (I also don't seem to remember a lot of people talking about 'carrying their kids' to school on an e-Bike, and you aren't limited to just a helmet for protection.)

The tone just seems... weird, like the author hasn't talked to a lot of people who actually ride different kinds of e-Bikes and isn't even clear on what they are typically used for-- she's just been talking to the other writers at Wired and writing about whatever bikes are sent to them to review. Writing for Slate does not give you the chops to write a piece like this; it seems like the author's not really well versed on the vocabulary necessary to describe e-Bikes or her audience.

Back