Thumb Throttle

Multimeter won't measure any volts when there isn't any.
Ground wire should read continuity to the frame, so you can identify it without powering the battery.

You sure can put thumb throttle on the left side, if you installed a grip-shifter. Order from Grin, they have thumb throttles that can be installed on either left or right. They should be able to tell the wiring layout, too. Canadian brick and mortar company, you can give them a call and ask to email throttle wiring diagram.

Anecdotally, - I haven't heard of signal wire being any other color but red. Ground can be black, green or blue.

White is used frequently for signal as well. Not sure I would depend on the frame for a ground circuit either.

You can see on the RAD diagram that power is red and ground is black. Unplug the battery and the negative terminal on the controller is your ground reference.

Jimbo here's the pinout for the three pin connector on a BBS02 throttle, if your plan was to hook up a Bafang throttle to the Rad.

The connector from the throttle will be of female gender, right?

Bafang Pins.jpg Bafanf_con_0.jpg
Does the lower half of the diagram you posted to show how the red, white, and black wires are routed to the connector?

If your Rad throttle is dead, you can determine that by opening up its cable and looking either visually or with a continuity check. . It seems you already have opened it? Did you also open a Bafang cable?

You can see on the RAD diagram that power is red and ground is black. Unplug the battery and the negative terminal on the controller is your ground reference.

Jimbo here's the pinout for the three pin connector on a BBS02 throttle, if your plan was to hook up a Bafang throttle to the Rad.

The connector from the throttle will be of female gender, right?

View attachment 32040 View attachment 32041
Does the lower half of the diagram you posted to show how the red, white, and black wires are routed to the connector?

If your Rad throttle is dead, you can determine that by opening up its cable and looking either visually or with a continuity check. . It seems you already have opened it? Did you also open a Bafang cable?

OK, we got it sorted out. I went over to my friend's house who's the smartest person I know, especially when it comes to electrical stuff. We took the RAD throttle apart and the Bafang apart (they both go back together easily) and saw that both are the same in that they each have Hall sensors and a magnet. Hall sensors are interesting, and cheap. A magnet slides by and changes it as it gets more intense. Both have a red and a black ground and the other color, whether it's blue or white, etc is the sensor wire. The ground does not ground to anything metal, it stays on the Hall sensor chip. So I wired the Bafang throttle to the cord end I cut off the Rad throttle (it wasn't broken, I just did not like a grip-throttle, I'd rather have a thumb throttle on the left side and leave room for a grip shift on the right) and I'll see how it goes tomorrow. if it doesn't work, I'll be back to comment here, but I'm pretty sure we sorted it out. thanks for your help!

Last edited:
A related thread. Just trying to get BBSxx threads with links to each other and solutions.

Back