Thudbuster LT or ST

Engine44

Region
Europe
I will be getting a new city e-bike and would like to add a Thudbuster. I have prostate problems and need a smooth ride as possible. Most riding will be on a paved surface. Some gravel is possible. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the ST vs. LT versions? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd get the LT. You want travel. I have used them and they work. The ST would be best for someone of lighter weight that doesn't need as much travel imo.

I will be getting a new city e-bike and would like to add a Thudbuster. I have prostate problems and need a smooth ride as possible. Most riding will be on a paved surface. Some gravel is possible. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the ST vs. LT versions? Thanks.
I've never ridden the ST. I've had a LT and the Kinekt (formerly BodyFloat) for many years. The LT needs a lot of post space to fit and work. If you're a shorter rider make sure you have the space for it to fit.

TB/LT measured from the saddle rails.

Screenshot_20210828-095658_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Kinekt is smaller.

Screenshot_20210828-100722_Gallery.jpg

The LT works, but the Kinekt works much better.

I've never ridden the ST. I've had a LT and the Kinekt (formerly BodyFloat) for many years. The LT needs a lot of post space to fit and work. If you're a shorter rider make sure you have the space for it to fit.

TB/LT measured from the saddle rails.

View attachment 98066

The Kinekt is smaller.

View attachment 98067

The LT works, but the Kinekt works much better.
Thanks. At the moment I'm leaning towards the ST.

You'll definitely get a smoother ride with the LT if you have the seat post clearance for it. You have to select the right elastomer to give the ride you're after. Try the one recommended for your weight first and then experiment with softer and harder ones. In my case, I get the best ride if I adjust mine so I depress the seat about an inch when I sit. This does give some pedal bob occasionally but unless you are doing serious competitive riding, it isn't really a problem.

You'll definitely get a smoother ride with the LT if you have the seat post clearance for it. You have to select the right elastomer to give the ride you're after. Try the one recommended for your weight first and then experiment with softer and harder ones. In my case, I get the best ride if I adjust mine so I depress the seat about an inch when I sit. This does give some pedal bob occasionally but unless you are doing serious competitive riding, it isn't really a problem.
Thanks. Why would the LT give as smoother ride than the ST?

Thanks. Why would the LT give as smoother ride than the ST?
The LT has twice the travel of the ST which gives more shock absorption. The elastomers on the LT can be fine tuned and are easier to change than the ST.

Thanks. Would the bob issue be different?
Any time the seat depresses, pedal bob (or pedal strike) can result. Suspension posts with longer travel, like the LT, are more prone to it. Obviously, it happens more on rough surfaces. Any suspension seatpost requires a bit of rider practice to keep the bob to a minimum.

Any time the seat depresses, pedal bob (or pedal strike) can result. Suspension posts with longer travel, like the LT, are more prone to it. Obviously, it happens more on rough surfaces. Any suspension seatpost requires a bit of rider practice to keep the bob to a minimum.
Thanks

When selecting the correct frame size of a bike, do you need to consider that the Thudbuster ST will be added?

When selecting the correct frame size of a bike, do you need to consider that the Thudbuster ST will be added?
Absolutely! With the seat adjusted to the proper height, for the ST, you need 4" of space between the seat rails and the top of the seat tube. The LT needs 6"

Back