Throttle ? Yes or no ?

what were who selling ? Do you mean what Bike ? If that's what you mean : My neighbor has some sort of kit that one of the local LBS Installed on his TREK . I think it was Bafang because he speaks about that company alot . I don't ride with him and My E-bike is Specialized Mid Drive . Which I just recently Got .I started riding a Bike again 3 years ago. Just a regular Trek Dual Sport 3 . My neighbor started riding last Summer with an Electric. What I posted was Information he'd said . I didn't witness any of it . Although I did see him leave riding several times . I've only had my E-bike since last August and still ride a regular Bike the majority of rides. My E-bike is used when I ride alone and want to cover the same miles fast .
Most of My Riding Group have Non E Road Bikes . So it's no fun for me to take an E-bike on those trips . At the pace we go on a regular Bike I can't get any exercise on an E-bike
Sorry, just a joke on "Peddling".

Being a former Boy Scout, and long time do-it-yourselfer, I have a second throttle on my bike in case the first one fails.

Today, I took out my fat bike to ride with my wife on her little ebike. I'd never ridden the big bike with her. Huh, I couldn't pedal it slow enough for her. Kept watching her fall back. Ended up riding with no assist, and feathering in throttle when I needed it.

By the way, just kidding about the second throttle.
I have both left and right twist throttles plus a thumb throttle strapped to the frame that I can tap with the tip of my sneaker when I stop pedaling.

It depends... YMMV ;)
  • Yes, Cruiser & commuter
  • No, EMTB and Triathlon
  • Maybe, road and Hybrid
1607212823568.png

Last edited:
Its also possible the anti-throttle guys have never ridden an ebike with a throttle. Ever think about that?

I ended up being able to ride the dh and final up to the house and what really amazed me was the beads never let go like they would immediately if it was tubed which would have made it impossible to ride.
I dont think this is as simple as just saying 'tubes let beads go'. On several bikes, I have gone thru the trouble of getting a good tire/rim/bead interface when I initially tried tubeless only to eventually go to tubes with sealant. Due to the buildup of rimtape (verified by EXTENSIVE effort to get tire off rim), I dont see how having a tube would make the rim/tire interface any less.

Its not a tubes/notubes thing, its a rim/tire interface thing

Granted that most people with tubes wouldnt go to the effort of getting good tire/rim interface, still doesnt make it a tube/tubeless thing but a tire/rim interface thing.

I really like a throttle to get me started from a dead stop. Just a quick push on the thumb throttle and I take over from there. Rarely do I just hit the throttle for more than a second or two. Maybe at the end of a longer ride I may crank the throttle for 10 seconds and rest my legs. I'm sure I would be fine without one, but since they are available, why not use it? I really don't understand riders that seem to be anti throttle...
I had a very interesting e-bike discussion with a Pennsylvania DCNR park ranger this season. She told me the DCNR is actually encouraging folks on e-bikes to use park trails. She's had conversations with many ebikers and their opinions on class 1 vs class 2 (throttled) bikes. She said the main reason class 1 owners don't like class 2 is the fear that throttle misuse will result in negative regulations affecting ALL e-bikes. She quoted one class 1 owner who said, "They're like a bunch of kids on motorbikes tooling around without pedaling! They're going to get us all thrown out". Another said, "Bicycles should have to be pedaled, not go on their own". I suppose this is a valid point but in my experience, I've not observed this behavior in the places I ride.

I had a very interesting e-bike discussion with a Pennsylvania DCNR park ranger this season. She told me the DCNR is actually encouraging folks on e-bikes to use park trails. She's had conversations with many ebikers and their opinions on class 1 vs class 2 (throttled) bikes. She said the main reason class 1 owners don't like class 2 is the fear that throttle misuse will result in negative regulations affecting ALL e-bikes. She quoted one class 1 owner who said, "They're like a bunch of kids on motorbikes tooling around without pedaling! They're going to get us all thrown out". Another said, "Bicycles should have to be pedaled, not go on their own". I suppose this is a valid point but in my experience, I've not observed this behavior in the places I ride.
Exactly. That's been my point from the beginning.

Exactly. That's been my point from the beginning.
Me too... I haven't observed that behavior either.
If only the ideo_illogical could go back to weighing everything on their bikes so they can drop another gram

I have bikes with and without throttles. Generally I don’t use it , sometimes on take off till I get comfy on my seat in a second or 2. It is a tool I can ise as needed if there but not if it isn’t. I used a button throttle on my bike that does 12 mph for an extended period, couple or so miles, when I broke my leg. I could not have gotten the bike home and me that day without or calling a tow company. It is the same as a class 3, I can’t go 28 on a class 1 or 2 but I can go 20 on all classes. I can also pedal while using the throttle to get more distance if I want to not pedal hard but not waste distance...up to me an an individual

.........She quoted one class 1 owner who said, "They're like a bunch of kids on motorbikes tooling around without pedaling! They're going to get us all thrown out". Another said, "Bicycles should have to be pedaled, not go on their own". I suppose this is a valid point but in my experience, I've not observed this behavior in the places I ride.

Ditto. Now that I am riding, I am noticing just how many bikes/ebikes are on the roads/trails, and there are alot, multiply that in the mountains on the weekends. I have yet to observe any rider "not" pedaling. At stops or other gathering places, I haven't noticed anyone being the throttle police and asking if your bike has one, or making hay about it. I am sure in organized clubs or groups, the attitudes are different, but in general, people are just minding their own business and having a good ride.

When my peddle fell off a stripped crank arm 14 km away from home, I became a throttle fan instantly. I often use it on my 2 1/2 km ride to work in the morning as well these days....

Some don't realize that bikes go the same speed whether they use pedal assist or throttle. I think some of the people in fear of throttles don't realize the bad behavior goes both ways regardless if it has a throttle or not. It's not a motorcycle folks:)

When my peddle fell off a stripped crank arm 14 km away from home, I became a throttle fan instantly. I often use it on my 2 1/2 km ride to work in the morning as well these days....
Pedals just don’t fall off without some warning. In the the 50 plus years that I’ve been riding, I’ve not once had a pedal just fall off or a chain just break. Routine inspections and preventative maintenance goes a long way.

I have ridden a number of cadence based bikes with throttles...... I’ll take a good torque based system without a throttle, any day of the week. I suppose if I was “stuck“with a cadence based system, a throttle would be a nice work around for dealing with the inherent lag in power delivery when you start pedaling.......and don’t get me started on what I think about the lag when stop pedaling......lol. 🤪

I have ridden a number of cadence based bikes with throttles...... I’ll take a good torque based system without a throttle, any day of the week. I suppose if I was “stuck“with a cadence based system, a throttle would be a nice work around for dealing with the inherent lag in power delivery when you start pedaling.......and don’t get me started on what I think about the lag when stop pedaling......lol. 🤪
I couldn't agree more with this statement ... I wouldn't give up the natural ride of my torque based Bosch motor just to get a throttle. That said, I have been told there are some torque based hub drives with throttles that have a natural feeling ride. I would like to try one some time. The two cadence sensing ebikes with throttle that I own (one trike and one bike) leave a lot to be desired.

Back