Throttle ? Yes or no ?

I have a mid-drive with a throttle. Don't use it much, usually only when stopped on a hill or get too tired on a long climb. It's a nice to have, I vote yes if given the choice.

what were who selling ? Do you mean what Bike ? If that's what you mean : My neighbor has some sort of kit that one of the local LBS Installed on his TREK . I think it was Bafang because he speaks about that company alot . I don't ride with him and My E-bike is Specialized Mid Drive . Which I just recently Got .I started riding a Bike again 3 years ago. Just a regular Trek Dual Sport 3 . My neighbor started riding last Summer with an Electric. What I posted was Information he'd said . I didn't witness any of it . Although I did see him leave riding several times . I've only had my E-bike since last August and still ride a regular Bike the majority of rides. My E-bike is used when I ride alone and want to cover the same miles fast .
Most of My Riding Group have Non E Road Bikes . So it's no fun for me to take an E-bike on those trips . At the pace we go on a regular Bike I can't get any exercise on an E-bike
I suspect he was alluding to the difference between pedaling and peddling. It's surprising how many people get it wrong. I guess that, after pedaling your bike and finding you don't like it, you could peddle it.

How the heck is a throttle going to do you any good if your chain breaks? The motor rotates the chain which spins the rear wheel. No chain/no go.
I actually just figured this out today. On a ride up in the Laguna Mtns and pedaling on the flats next to a meadow and the chain popped. So I stopped and picked up the chain and slung it over my shoulder , got back on the bike and hit the throttle! Imagine my surprise when I didn't move, motor was turning up a storm, level 5 too ! and I was stranded... Damn throttle must be broke or something.
So I took my pack off, pulled out my chain break tool and removed the damaged link and spliced in a spare that I always carry ( along with a ton of other stuff ) and was soon on my way, took 5 minutes, My buddy thought it was funny.
Allmost broke my rt foot pedaling up a steep narrow pitch with a lot of rocks and on the downstroke got clipped by a flat rock that I couldn't avoid. If I would of had a throttle I could of squeaked right on up trials style but thats another thread.

How the heck is a throttle going to do you any good if your chain breaks? The motor rotates the chain which spins the rear wheel. No chain/no go.
I actually just figured this out today. On a ride up in the Laguna Mtns and pedaling on the flats next to a meadow and the chain popped. So I stopped and picked up the chain and slung it over my shoulder , got back on the bike and hit the throttle! Imagine my surprise when I didn't move, motor was turning up a storm, level 5 too ! and I was stranded... Damn throttle must be broke or something.
So I took my pack off, pulled out my chain break tool and removed the damaged link and spliced in a spare that I always carry ( along with a ton of other stuff ) and was soon on my way, took 5 minutes, My buddy thought it was funny.
Allmost broke my rt foot pedaling up a steep narrow pitch with a lot of rocks and on the downstroke got clipped by a flat rock that I couldn't avoid. If I would of had a throttle I could of squeaked right on up trials style but thats another thread.
Not sure what kind of bike you have but I have an Espin Sport and if my chain breaks, my throttle and back wheel will get me home without fixing the chain...

Your post doesn’t really make sense. At one point you say you have a throttle, then you say “if I would have had a throttle.....”

Also, do you have a mid-drive? If so, a throttle will do you no good if the chain breaks. Again your post is not clear.

Taylor you are 100% correct and I was wrong. I was assuming that this conversation was about mid drive bikes and not rear hub motors. Thats what I get trying to be funny. Yes a chain only lets you help in powering your bike with a rear or front hub motor. No chain you still can get home.

McCorby Yes I do have a throttle on both my bikes. My hardtail has a Bafang BBSHD mid drive and my Dual Suspension has an Bafang Ultra mid drive.

FWIW I really did break my chain today, no I didn't run the throttle after it broke, and yes it did take all of 5 minutes to fix,
Sorry again for not being clearer.

Sorry for laughing but that’s funny as hell. Cheers for the chuckle 😂

I have a mid drive and I love my throttle! Especially when it’s jammed on hard as it’ll go! It’s safe to say “l’m throttle daft”! 👍👍👍

Each of us should have at least one throttle! Everyone is at it! Lol 😂

I got into Ebikes after many years riding motorcycles... No self respecting motorcyclist would want an Ebike without a throttle. lol

Last edited:
I have a mid drive and I love my throttle! Especially when it’s jammed on hard as it’ll go! It’s safe to say “l’m throttle daft”! 👍👍👍

I am playing of course, I’d be dead if I had that thing going full blast all the time.
I do love it to get you moving when needed though. My bike is very heavy and not so easily moved without it. I’m still getting used to being totally fluent with the gears and forward thinking needed with the mid drive. It’s great when it all just falls into place 🙂

I don't miss the throttle at all after upgrading from a Bafang rear hub fat tire to a Shimano mid-drive.

I THOUGHT I might miss it on errand runs, but after the first full load of groceries (30L pannier + Arkel Haul-it + trunk bag stuffed), I really didn't feel the need.

That being said, I'll be using my fat tire rear hub bike when the snow really hits Toronto, and I imagine there will be a few points where I use the throttle then.

I do have throttles and they are great!.......on my car, lawnmower, snowblower, weed wacker, RC planes and cars, chainsaw.....just not on my bicycle! 😜

Love mine. Awesome for hill starts. Great for heading to a safe spot to pull over when the chain falls off. Handy for a quick boost if I don’t want to up the PAS. Happy camper here. It’s a personal preference. And, if someone doesn’t like throttles or want one, that’s fine with me. It’s great that we have options!

I am a former throttle afficianoso, however, after reading and sharing with this group, I have decided to have all my throttles removed.

I am a former throttle afficianoso, however, after reading and sharing with this group, I have decided to have all my throttles removed.
Can i ask why? What was it that swayed you to getting them removed?

Back