Throttle that works

Deacon Blues

I know we've discussed this before, but has anyone found a throttle that works well with the Ultra motor with the X1 controller?
By works well, I mean a throttle that's smooth in operation and can hold a speed without the motor surging.

Not me, I am still looking so keep me up to date

Completely stupid we don’t have this on all the bikes by now

That being said I have no idea if the archon software allows us to change that at all? Can someone chime in who is down the rabbit hole of archon programming?

I recently asked Pushkar this same question and he replied that he has yet to find one that works well.
With the Cross Tour coming out soon (I think), using the same motor/controller setup, and looking to be an ebike where the throttle is used a lot, since pedalling is awkward, I would think Pushkar is looking hard for a decent, useable throttle.

Way back in 2015 my wife and I bought our first two ebikes from Pedego. Both had hub motors (Dapu, I believe) and both had throttles, which worked perfectly.
I was expected the Bafang throttle to work in a similar fashion but have been disappointed with the Ultra's crappy throttle performance.
If Pedego can produce an excellent throttle why can't Bafang?

KW swapped a Honeywell SS49E hall sensor in their throttle for better response. The response curve of the sensor in the stock throttle has very little response in the beginning and end or its range so the actual response curve is kind of steep (small wiggles in the throttle position amount to larger changes is throttle voltage output) and the SS49E is much more linear, so you get more consistent response through the entire range of throttle, without those 'dead zones' at the ends there the response curve is much more flat.

Unfortunately there's not a huge amount of throttles out there that combine reasonable footprint with linear response. I really like the ones on this Polish PEV parts retailer https://e-bikestuff.com/en/12-throttles but they seem to be all out of stock. Throttle mapping would be a really really powerful feature for the X1 controller to keep it competitive with VESC tool. I've seen some people take rheostat/potentiometer twist throttles and print clamp-on thumb paddles for them, but this is the bulkiest option and requires a 3/4 grip that can accommodate it.

Way back in 2015 my wife and I bought our first two ebikes from Pedego. Both had hub motors (Dapu, I believe) and both had throttles, which worked perfectly.
I was expected the Bafang throttle to work in a similar fashion but have been disappointed with the Ultra's crappy throttle performance.
If Pedego can produce an excellent throttle why can't Bafang?
Throttle works just fine on my stock controller UART Ultra bike, admittedly after having to do some tuning via the ability to do so easily, so I don't think it is a Bafang issue personally. Your mentor is off base saying there are no throttles that work well it is how the signal is received and translated in the controller that is your issue.

I did in February the first time the OP posted about their throttle problems but here it is again.
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 7.33.37 AM.png

I understood that, wasnt asking for me so much as everyone else

If that works for a lot of stock throttles then we can probably figure out something on the archon
But this stuff is also user subjective , so would be nice to hear from others that have set their stock ultras up like this

The actual throttles all suck, and Innotrace controller doesnt really do anything to help situation. I think best is so lower power on throttle... 500w for example doesnt hit too hard.

I still think best solution is to remove throttle to better place the level control though.

Yeah I documented in one of my threads about the Honeywell SS49E hall-effect sensor replacement. I had gotten inspiration from another user. It made a huge difference in the throttle usability, it was no longer all or nothing and had a much more linear response.

Kwseattle you did that mod yourself right? Does anyone make these throttles for purchase?

I know we've discussed this before, but has anyone found a throttle that works well with the Ultra motor with the X1 controller?
By works well, I mean a throttle that's smooth in operation and can hold a speed without the motor surging.
I ordered a Domino for my build. Only Magura is close - and it fails too much.
SurRon folks are where you find the real skinny.
Any decent twist-grip throttle will do what you're asking, $20.00 total. Just make sure it's a Bafang plug.
10 minute change out.

The actual throttles all suck, and Innotrace controller doesnt really do anything to help situation. I think best is so lower power on throttle... 500w for example doesnt hit too hard.

I still think best solution is to remove throttle to better place the level control though.
'All'? Not from my point of view. A biased outlook clouds your conclusion 'you didn't and still don't like throttles'.
Uh, yeah. If we were all cookie-cutter - your age, weight, strength. Hey, why even have e-power?
That's the special part of e-bikes ... the ability to use your ability as much as you can or so choose.
It's why we bikes have our own lanes. Pedal types couldn't do that. It was the e-bike explosion and 90% don't want to pedal all the time. Few I see riding e-bikes are pedaling.
My bias is: There's no correct place to install a thumb throttle. You can't fix stupid.
But I get it. Having never needed to suffer - you buffed barbarian brute - the indignities of ur legs going 'jello', you don't get it. lol
Lucky you. They just don't work.
500watts is nothing. 1000watts minimum. You should be able to drive on just throttle. You could have an injury or cramp. You may become stomach ill. I like to cruise along real slow, twist grip throttle is perfect.
On the street a throttle is a must at endless stop signs. Without it you're limiting the bikes abilities by 1/3.

My Archon throttle is restricted to 750W peak. I don't get any surges. It's perfect when stopped at a light with cars behind me and I want to get going faster than I would from pedaling, or if I forgot to gear down enough and/or I want to save my knees. Also nice to give my legs a brief rest on sustained climbs, 750W peak is enough to keep me going in the right gear. I wouldn't go back to unrestricted throttle. If I want bat out of hell acceleration I can always bump the PAS or switch to sport mode and pedal.

Back