Throttle for the Priority Current

I found a diagram online for the pin out to the controller. Should be easy to figure out of the remaining three wires which is the 5v, the ground and the speed sensor. Have ordered parts. Will do a write up when completed.

Saweeeet! Thanks for sharing. I hope it goes well. Hey, nobody seems to be addressing my question in one of my earlier posts; I wondered why Priority told me that the motor [and Battery] were theirs, and that a throttle could not be added. I kinda get it that they don't want to say something to approve of changing the Class Rating. I don't know that much about controllers though, so I wonder if there is some potential damage that could occur to the motor/battery even if we wire it correctly? Could it affect the Transmission? The Contoller? Anything?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I'm sure nobody wants to ruin such an expensive bike.
Thanks again!

When I talked to them about 6 weeks ago, I believe I was told that the current motor was not suited for a throttle or they would let their customers know as many have inquired about that.

Priority is just having Truckrun label the motors Priority buys from Truckrun “Priority”. Happens all the time - it’s called Private Labeling. Adding a throttle would make it illegal to operate on public roads. The controller has wires for a throttle. Adding a throttle won’t hurt the controller, motor, battery or gears.

Last edited:
Thanks for those comments on Truckrun labelling the motors. News to me! And thanks for the added comfort in moving forward with my plan to add a throttle! I gotta say though, that my knee appears to be improving even with riding the current as is. I have not taken as many opportunities to ride as I prob should, however there is very little pain after one of my short jaunts. I shall invest in some equipment to allow me to go from my measly 20 min. jaunts to much longer ones outside the large park in which I live. Very happy with the bike so far though. Thank you again!

Priority is just having Truckrun label the motors Priority buys from Truckrun “Priority”. Happens all the time - it’s called Private Labeling. Adding a throttle would make it illegal to operate on public roads. The controller has wires for a throttle. Adding a throttle won’t hurt the controller, motor, battery or gears.
If throttles are illegal to have on public roads, why do almost every other seller/manufacturer of e-bikes have bikes with throttles? What am I missing? Also, they are going to have a new model that will have a throttle ....

I'm a bit in the dark as you seem to be Funpilot. I wonder how many throttle users get ticketed on the road?

If throttles are illegal to have on public roads, why do almost every other seller/manufacturer of e-bikes have bikes with throttles? What am I missing? Also, they are going to have a new model that will have a throttle ....
It's an NYC law against throttles, and priority has an in person store in NYC. I agree it should be offered for places where throttles are legal (like the ability switch from 20MPH to 28MPH assist), but CYA is strong in companies for some reason.

Ahhh...and I can imagine that the NYC market size can be used to influence many a corporate decision...

I am also looking for the proper cable to install the throttle on my Current.
What I found on ebay are two cables:
- one has the apparently proper connector for the controller but an incorrect green one for the display. It also has 2 wires for a light but that could be cut off.
- the other one is the cable for the BBS02 with proper connectors for display and throttle but the wrong one for the controller.

Is it just too easy to think I could cut and splice them, after first establishing the correct pinout for both ends with a multimeter?

Screenshot 2023-06-06 215102.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-06 215012.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-06 214709.jpg

I would go with option #1 and swap out the controller wires at the bar. You can even use some of those melting ones if you haven't got a soldering gun. Put on some shrink tape before connecting. I always forget that part.....

Interesting find Jerry! Sounds like this collective group is capable and willing to solve a myriad of problems encountered. Way to go! I hope you update us on the details of your melding of 2 system cables Jerry. YeeeHaaah!

O.K., will do. Shipping of the cables from China will take another 2-3 weeks.
But if I get it to work I will post the sources and the wiring diagram.

Please be aware Jerry, that I mean no offense by this: Even if this turns out to be a miserable fail, please still document it so others may benefit. I know how we do not enjoy sharing our failures, however they can be quite helpful...(consider Edisons many attempts?)
Thanks again and happy experimentation!

So, I did get it to work. I checked the pinout of both new cables and the existing Priority cable and sketched the wiring, see below.
I spliced the 2 cables together, plugged it in and....it works. Display still operating and the throttle make the rear wheel spin.
That was maybe an hour with the multimeter and another hour to document and splice carefully.
Now comes the difficult part, to route it through the frame according to the YouTube video in the first post.

This is the wiring of the cable with correct motor connector but wrong display connector (https://www.ebay.com/itm/275802118356). I used only the motor side.
BafangM500_M600_Cable.jpg

This is the cable with correct display and throttle connector, but wrong motor connector (www.ebay.com/itm/334811815937). I cut off the motor connector.
BBS02_BBSHD_ExtensionCable.jpg

This is the original Priority Current display cable. I made sure, the motor/display connection was faithfully copied.
OriginalPriorityDisplayCable.jpg

Finally, the wiring of my newly spliced cable. Most wire colors match, however I had to swap the orange and brown wires.
NewSplicedCable.jpgWiresSpliced.jpgSplicedCableWithHeatShrink.jpg

Here the first test:

So, I did get it to work. I checked the pinout of both new cables and the existing Priority cable and sketched the wiring, see below.
I spliced the 2 cables together, plugged it in and....it works. Display still operating and the throttle make the rear wheel spin.
That was maybe an hour with the multimeter and another hour to document and splice carefully.
Now comes the difficult part, to route it through the frame according to the YouTube video in the first post.

This is the wiring of the cable with correct motor connector but wrong display connector (https://www.ebay.com/itm/275802118356). I used only the motor side.
View attachment 156391

This is the cable with correct display and throttle connector, but wrong motor connector (www.ebay.com/itm/334811815937). I cut off the motor connector.
View attachment 156392

This is the original Priority Current display cable. I made sure, the motor/display connection was faithfully copied.
View attachment 156393

Finally, the wiring of my newly spliced cable. Most wire colors match, however I had to swap the orange and brown wires.
View attachment 156394View attachment 156395View attachment 156396

Here the first test:
Geeez! way to go wild man! Made me nervous just reading and watching. You have just given me the courage to move ahead on mine. Now I just gotta get a/c in my shed cuz it's been in the high 90's and low hundreds for weeks and looks like it shall for another week. Can barely even breathe in there now.

View attachment 156391

View attachment 156392

View attachment 156393

View attachment 156394View attachment 156395View attachment 156396

Here the first test:
Jerry this is just fantastic--thank you for taking the time to create the drawings so we can all benefit! Curious if you considered splicing into the green display connector (instead of the controller connector), or if you looked for an adapter for either?

...... Curious if you considered splicing into the green display connector (instead of the controller connector), or if you looked for an adapter for either?
Yes I could have done that but then the splice would have been outside exposed to weather and I would have had to cut off the two light wires. But definitely doable and only 5 wires to splice instead of 7.

Another word of warning: I just stripped one of the small screw heads when removing the battery compartment guts. Make sure you have a brand new #2 philips bit and apply ample pressure on the head when removing the screws. They are indeed very soft metal.

Just did a quick test ride. It does work well.
Looks like the throttle max acceleration is limited by the motor support level (0-5) but I am not yet sure about that.
Even at level 5 the throttle response is not as strong from standstill as I was used to with my old Bafang BBS02 powered bike but still very good.
It seems to be more aggressive when a certain speed is already reached and can reach the set 28mph speed limit.

Back