Three High Pitch Dings While Riding

First Light

Has anyone experienced hearing 3 high pitch dings/beeps while riding - no not a joke (and I have not been drinking! o_O ). When I am riding my new RadCity either on the street or off road I get 3 dings in succession, ding-ding-ding. The sound happens intermittenly every 10 minutes or so and nothing appears on the display that would indicate an issue or an error code. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and can tell me what this sound means before I call customer service?

Last edited:
It is pretty common for the spokes on a new wheel to make a pinging sound as the wheel "breaks in". Both wheels might "ping" during the break-in period as the spokes adjust after being put under load. The wheels on my 2018 RadCity did pretty much the same thing. Once you get to 100 miles or so you might want to take your bike into a local bike shop you trust for a good tune up and have the spoke tension checked, cables adjusted, and so forth.

The rear disk brake on my Radcity Step-Thru makes a high pitch dinging/pinging sound if you tap it with a screwdriver. The front disk make a "thunk" sound compared to the rear disk brakes. My front/rear Radrovers disks also make a "thunk" sound compared to ping of the Radcity rear only.

I haven't noticed the pinging sound when riding. I did have a tic-tic-tic sound when riding that was caused by loose spokes.

My Radrover made some clicking sounds after I changed my rear tire. I thought it might be the motor, bearing or chain? But after I tightened the spokes and it was resolved.

Thanks for the reply's, but it definitely was not the sound loose spokes make. Plus, I checked and tightened all of the spokes when I assembled the bike, and then again at 100 miles and again at 200 miles.

The sound was definitely an electronic noise so I knew it had to be something powered by a battery, and I suspected it was something powered by the Rad battery - or - I had a small AAA battery powered vibration alarm (ie. theft alarm) that I had installed under the seat. So the simple thing was to first remove the vibration alarm and see what happened, which I did, and on my next 2 rides, no dings/beeps. Problem solved & now I just have to figure out why the vibration alarm was beeping every 10 minutes while I was riding.

Back